Sponsored

Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting....

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Guys thanks again for all of the comments and input.
I contacted my Ford Sales rep and changed my order to add the 4.27 gearing and switched the color to Azure Gray. Other than that I am keeping it the way I originally spec'd it. The 4.27 will give me some options for larger wheels/tires later on if I want to go that route.

2024 Big Bend 2 Door
Azure Gray
Mid Pkg (222A)
10 speed auto
2.3 L
hoop step
aux switches
LED Signature Lighting
Spare TIre Cover (bronco logo)
Trailer Tow Pkg
Just in case you missed it, the removable hoop step is not the rock rails with a removable step. Not sure it matters but wanted to pass it along.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...l-with-a-removable-step-bolted-onto-it.78548/
Sponsored

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I live in Idaho. I am an old man and lived here my entire life. The state is literally defined by the rocky mountains. thousands and thousands of miles of easy FS roads as well as some harder core stuff.... We also deal with snow and mud, rock and sand. My experience: I would rather have a two wheel drive with a locker than an open diff 4x4. Simple little sandy/rocky steep section in a FS road and the two wheel locker will preform better. The 4A transfer would be a must for me as long as I have to deal with snow or ice. Otherwise I really do not need it. Off road I am served well by 4H and 4L.

You probably do not need the lift and bigger tires. But your tires matter actually as much if not more than the locker. I would probably choose a nice AT.... lots of options. I got the SAS... I do not like the goodyears. They are great on the road but off road can not stand them.

The 2.3 should serve you well. Has more power than the V8s of old. but that power is peaky. The V8s had a big long power curve. the 4 and the 6 do not. I love the 10 speed. It matches extremally well with these motors. Keeps them in the peak of their power curve.

My experience... make of it what you will. I wish you the best of luck. I have owned/driven a lot of different 4x4s.... I love this Bronco. It has its pros and cons but Ford balanced it out very nicely.
thanks for all your input. I'm sure I will be happy with my final configuration. I did add the better axle with the locking rear.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I hear ya there bud, but let’s get a few things out in the open. The Bronco is not a vehicle that I’d confuse with “comfortable”; it’s not. It’s also loud and a bit unrefined and I have a loaded 2 Dr Badlands with Sasquatch, Lux, and 2.7 and all the other fixings.

The Bronco is an off-roader FIRST and everything else it’s serviceable and a compromise. So if you’re not buying this to off-road, boulders or not, I hear Toyota has this new Land Cruiser that’s more for riding and road tripping with occasional dirt and forest road type trails.

Although I feel that Ford has been giving away front and rear lockers to far too many who don’t need them, overall they hit a homer with the Bronco because they accomplished what they set out to do.

The spartan nature of the Bronco is what I love about it, but I don’t confuse it with the other SUV at the house which is 95% luxury and 5% off road for those who dare or are on a ski trip, but the Bronco isn’t even close for those purposes and I don’t need or want it to be.

A locker comes in handy when the unexpected happens. I went wheeling last weekend in rain and today with full sun and dry trails. Bronco was muddy as hell last week; had to come straight home and wash her. Today, hardly looks like I did anything other than maybe the tires and a little dust, but it stays dusty inside and out.

Point is that last week was a locker day for some vehicles; not mine, but some. Today, even a Prius could have trailed me without much concern. I ran the same trail network both days and what a difference 1 week can make.

That locker is your insurance and if you don’t understand that, this ain’t the truck for you.
Thanks for the input. I understand that it is not a luxury vehicle. I currently own a 2016 Maxda CX-5 which this will replace. The Mazda has a fun driving experience to it, some character which is why I chose it over the "numb" competition I test drove. It is certainly not quiet or luxury. It's my bang around town, visiting clients (I am self employed) while hauling my equipment in the back trunk area. I'm just not into luxury driving... I've sat in friends BMW's and Tesla and it just.... yawn..... I prefer a car that feels connected, alive... one you actually have to drive.

At this stage in my life my kids are all grown and out of the house except one who is still in college. My dream (since HS) was to own a muscle car- the mustang checked that box.
I had also been dreaming about and longing to own one of the rugged SUV's of old that had that boxy/tough.badass off road look (think old school chevy blazers, Ford Explorers/escapes, nissan pathfinder, etc..).
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... chevy blazer old school 2
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... chevy blazer old school

I told myself I would get one later in life to do some cross country trips that included off roading, national parks, camping, visiting my son in Reno NV, etc.
But then.... something happened... something terrible and hideous....
My dream cars turned into this... :oops:o_O
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... chevy blazer
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... ford escape

ENTER THE ALL NEW FORD BRONCO TO SAVE THE DAY !!!!!!

Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... ford brono azure gray

Last edited:
OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like the UAW strike it over! Hoping to get mine soon!
I'm a little nervous about off roading it though..
Sponsored