Sponsored

Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting....

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi Guys,
I just put in an order for a 2024 2-Door Big Bend, Cactus Gray with the 2.3L / 10 Speed Auto, Mid Pkg, and Step Rails. I plan on doing a bit of light off roading, but mainly city/country driving. Which is why I didn't get the Sasquatch pkg or the Black Diamond. Tried to steer away from the heavy tech pkgs because this is not a luxury car for me. I'm excited to be part of this community; I am registered on Mustang6g with my Shelby GT350 and found that to be a very rewarding experience.

Just had a few questions:
1. Is the 2.3L eco adequate for most situations? I see a lot of debate about the 2.7. Not sure if it is needed on the 2 door?
2. Any downsides to the 10 speed auto in your experience? I have a stick in my Shelby so would rather go auto.
3. Is the big bend adequate for light duty off roading?
4. Are these Broncos scalable if I wanted to eventually add more serious off roading gear?
5. I have an order in which they say is going take 6 months approx to fill, which is fine as I am in no hurry. Has anyone here had success finding what they want pre-packaged or used? Or is that possibility slim? If yes, are there websites/resources where I can go to seek out already built models?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Lorne
Sponsored

Last edited:

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
1. Yes

2. Some shifts into and out of lower gears can be a bit of a "bump" feel. Other than that, no.

3. Most definitely

4. Absolutely, limited only by your budget

5. It's definitely possible if you work hard enough. I got mine off a lot by calling a number of dealers and asking them to look out for one for me. Bought the second one that called me. First was a bit more expensive than I was looking for. Have since had a couple more of them call me. So, yes, it's possible.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1)2.3 is great and would satisfy 98% of the population in my opinion. I run 93, but I don’t drive a lot. Not a huge difference, but noticeable when I started using it.
2)10 speed auto is nice. I prefer eco mode around town. Smoother operation. Not that normal is bad.
3)Big Bend is adequate for most light off roading.
4)Yes
5) I found my Bad Lands searching my state. Did same with my Maverick. They are are kind and fair prices are too. You have to look constantly and move quickly.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welcome to the corral.

All Broncos are capable of light to moderate off road (even the non-non-sport .search for the thread)

The 2.3 is sufficient but having driven 36,000 miles with the 2.7 it truly is a driver's vehicle. It compares performance-wise with my X4 Msport and is faster than any pontiac I ever had even the supercharged GTP GXP and Bonnie

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi Guys,
I just put in an order for a 2024 2-Door Big Bend, Cactus Gray with the 2.3L / 10 Speed Auto, Mid Pkg, and Step Rails. I plan on doing a bit of light off roading, but mainly city/country driving. Which is why I didn't get the Sasquatch pkg or the Black Diamond. Tried to steer away from the heavy tech pkgs because this is not a luxury car for me. I'm excited to be part of this community; I am registered on Mustang6g with my Shelby GT350 and found that to be a very rewarding experience.

1. Is the 2.3L eco adequate for most situations? I see a lot of debate about the 2.7. Not sure if it is needed on the 2 door?
2. Any downsides to the 10 speed auto in your experience? I have a stick in my Shelby so would rather go auto.
4. Are these Broncos scalable if I wanted to eventually add more serious off roading gear?
5. I have an order in which they say is going take 6 months approx to fill, which is fine as I am in no hurry. Has anyone here had success finding what they want pre-packaged or used? Or is that possibility slim? If yes, are there websites/resources where I can go to seek out already built models?

Lorne
1. Yes, more than adequate, but slightly less fun.

2. The 10 speed has been excellent for me, but I always run in sport mode.

3. Yes, more than adequate, but would recommend the 4A transfer case (but that would require sasquatch), you would be money ahead just ordering a Heritage Edition at that point (but 2 door Heritage Editions are on hold). What I would recommend is picking up a 2023 with the 4A and rear locker, rather than a 2024.

4. Somewhat, but upgrading the transfer case would be difficult. That's why the 2023 with the rear locker and 4 auto transfer case is a winner. You might not be able to find that in a 2023 Big Bend with the 4A transfer case (without sasquatch), but you can definitely find it in the OBX and maybe even the Black Diamond.

5. Yes, but you will have to do the searching yourself. Look for a 2 door 2021-2023 VIN that starts with 1FMDE5CP (2.7 adv 4x4) or 1FMDE5CH (2.3 adv 4x4).

Good luck

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you didn't order the rear locker, call your dealer tomorrow and have it added, it's a no-brainer.

If you ever need an Aux switch order it now.

Tube steps are all over Craigslist/FB for $100.

I don't think it would be too difficult to find what you want off the lot now at MSRP.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1. Yes

2. Some shifts into and out of lower gears can be a bit of a "bump" feel. Other than that, no.

3. Most definitely

4. Absolutely, limited only by your budget

5. It's definitely possible if you work hard enough. I got mine off a lot by calling a number of dealers and asking them to look out for one for me. Bought the second one that called me. First was a bit more expensive than I was looking for. Have since had a couple more of them call me. So, yes, it's possible.
thank you for the reply! I appreciate it. The biggest thing for me with number 5 is whether I can get a color I like and the options I want on it.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you didn't order the rear locker, call your dealer tomorrow and have it added, it's a no-brainer.

If you ever need an Aux switch order it now.

Tube steps are all over Craigslist/FB for $100.

I don't think it would be too difficult to find what you want off the lot now at MSRP.
Thanks, I think I would have to add the SASQ pkg in order to get that. Would have to do some checking to see if that is offered on the 2024 big bend. They really shrank the number of options.
I did order the aux switch.
To be honest I put an order in because I just want to get myself on the list... with the strike looming and all the delays I figured I would have time to do some searching myself for one already built or change my order before it went into scheduled production.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're considering any off roading, get at least a rear locker.
Articulation of the Bronco is nowhere near a Wrangler; you'll be lifting tires in the Bronco and that is where you'll want a locker.

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're considering any off roading, get at least a rear locker.
Articulation of the Bronco is nowhere near a Wrangler; you'll be lifting tires in the Bronco and that is where you'll want a locker.
thanks I checked the ordering for 2024 and don't see the rear locker as a stand alone item. There are two different drive trains though... not sure if that is included with the advance 4x4 setup. That option is only available with the sasquatch pkg...
Just not sure if i'm going to be crawling over rocks.. yes I will hit some off road trails, but nothing extreme...

Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... 1695390413159

Sponsored
OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Only the Bronco Badlands, Wildtrak, and First Edition models come with standard front and rear locking differentials. From the factory, Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond, and Outerbanks models only receive locking differentials with the Sasquatch Package.May 11, 2023

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi Guys,

Lorne
# 1 yes , but get the 4.27 rear axle , for bigger wheel-tire combo , & off roading
#2 no down side to auto tranny
#3 very adequate
#4 get the extra auxiliary switches instead of sunglasses storage .
# 5 stick to your build and color , you will be much happier

I have the 2D BB with the above add ons , I did use the outer banks wheels cause I like them and they were very cheap when I found a set.
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... IMG_0042

OP
OP
lwilliams34

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

# 1 yes , but get the 4.27 rear axle , for bigger wheel-tire combo , & off roading
#2 no down side to auto tranny
#3 very adequate
#4 get the extra auxiliary switches instead of sunglasses storage .
# 5 stick to your build and color , you will be much happier

I have the 2D BB with the above add ons , I did use the outer banks wheels cause I like them and they were very cheap when I found a set.
Ford Bronco Questions for the Community- New Bronco Owner in Waiting.... IMG_0042
thanks.. but now i'm getting even more confused... lol...
not sure how much the locking diff and read axle are going to affect what I want to do. I'm also trying to stay within a budget...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
1 - the 2.3 is fine on the lighter 2-door.

2- Biggest downside is that an auto is not a stick. Who want's to drive a soulless automatic?

3 - It's fine, although you may want better tires. Although I think that's true for all factory tires on all cars.

4 - Yeah, the Bronco is like an AR-15. Stuff just bolts on/off without too much issue.

5 - No, but my demands were 2-door, stick shift. Autos are obviously easier to find.

I too would option the 4.27 rear and a rear locker (if possible). Bronco doesn't come with a posi-rearend for some ridiculous reason.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
thanks.. but now i'm getting even more confused... lol...
not sure how much the locking diff and read axle are going to affect what I want to do. I'm also trying to stay within a budget...
Besides getting you unstuck in the mud or the snow, it gives you gearing (4.27 in the auto) to run larger tires. You can add a lot of things like running boards, bumpers, etc. after the fact for not much more cost, that's not the case with the locker/gearing.
Sponsored