Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here’s a photo
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 4A2CD579-5A79-4967-A724-13E17FC807A7
from the Super Celebration East of the Bronco Sport in the shade under a carport.
Sponsored

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All the photos I have of the cans that include Rapid Red within the photo ....
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112124
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_103123
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_103111
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_102115
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_102045
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_101837
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112459
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112531
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112615
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112654

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Surprisingly, there is no official thread for this color.

Is anyone else strongly considering this color after seeing the Rapid Red OBX 4 door from the Q&A reveal?

I never thought I would get a red car, but had a hunch that this color would look awesome, and sure enough it does. It is officially in my top three.

Anyone else in a similar spot (never had a red car before, never was planning on it, but now really considering it
Changed my mind from AMB to Rapid Red after I saw the BD four door Squatch elsewhere here on the forum

StedeBonnett

Outer Banks
First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2020 Subaru Forester Touring
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was on the AMB kick - but the more I see AMB on a Bronco the more I see purple. Digging around on Bronco's of Insta <> BAM!

This has me thinking about Rapid Red now. It's not a match but it gives me hope that this color could look good matched up with the touches of gray.

Sponsored

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was on the AMB kick - but the more I see AMB on a Bronco the more I see purple. Digging around on Bronco's of Insta <> BAM!

This has me thinking about Rapid Red now. It's not a match but it gives me hope that this color could look good matched up with the touches of gray.

Same! Saw this one at the TN event and the color looked sharp and eye catching! With AMB ... I think the purple-ish color is just a trick on eye in what it may perceive from lighting or the monitor. In person, on the cans, not a hint of purple showed up. Granted, that was outdoors in both bright sun & shade.
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_112228

Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_131509
Ford Bronco Rapid Red - Official Thread 20201007_131454

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think this is rapid red. My apologies if it’s race red lol. From instagram user jc.groves

2D99C1CB-E550-41A3-9E8F-BDED078B5CDE.jpeg

43BF9388-C567-4A92-90F5-6B0F3BB78754.jpeg

Sponsored

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry SE V6; Ford F250 crew cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PPG is Ford's paint supplier. It comes in big reusable stainless steel totes. I'm sorry but I don't know how many gallons is in one, Maybe 250. They transfer it into holding tanks with agitators.

When the vehicles go through the paint booth, the paint process is the same no matter what the color is. The robots have multiple paint lines running through them and the computer tells them which color or clear to spray. First is the primer robots. Then they go to the base robots and get two coats. Then the clear robots for two coats. I the case of tinted clear, the first coat is tinted and I believe second is clear.

In some but not all plants, the doors, hood, and liftgate only get opened once in the base and clear operations. Which means those inside areas only get one coat of base and one coat of clear. After that they go through the ovens and bake the finish to get it hard.

Every effort is made to make the color the same in every plant. However, sometimes you can notice a slight difference on painted plastics that bolt to the vehicles. They are painted at the suppliers plant and not at the factory where the vehicle is made.

All bodies are E coated before they reach the paint department.

I work in the paint department at the Ford Escape plant and that's what our process is.
Great info. I’ve seen post mentioning that the clear coat is “soft.” My Bronco will live its life parked outside and not in a garage. I plan on keeping it long term. Is there a downside to this color never being garaged?

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great info. I’ve seen post mentioning that the clear coat is “soft.” My Bronco will live its life parked outside and not in a garage. I plan on keeping it long term. Is there a downside to this color never being garaged?
It's just as durable as any other color. The paint is baked on after it leaves the paint booth and they've perfected it over many years of using that process. I'm not sure why people have made that comment.

kencantrell

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry SE V6; Ford F250 crew cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's just as durable as any other color. The paint is baked on after it leaves the paint booth and they've perfected it over many years of using that process. I'm not sure why people have made that comment.
Thanks! Always best to hear from the experts.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It more than likely comes from the early to mid-90's into the early 2000's when the paint tech was still evolving for emission reduction and such. The auto manufacturers were still trying to establish the process to avoid this.

There were instances where the clear seemed 'soft' and not properly cured.

I experienced this quite a lot with the shop I had worked at. There were quite a few GM products, along with Toyota, where the vehicle would arrive with contaminant damage to the clear that happened during transport, or after a couple months of use in the elements.

I was the main warranty finish repair guy, since I had gone thru the training from the paint manufacturers and automakers to get certified, and I lost track of how many I had to over the years I was there. Can you imagine a new Cadillac with zero miles needing to be completely refinished? Yeah, I had to do them and more than people were aware of.

Lindy08

Outer Banks
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anybody know the paid code for Rapid Red?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.