Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any thoughts on Steel vs Aluminum? I want to order today but keep going back and forth. I am thinking aluminum for weight saving and they say 2/3 the protection of steel.
100% go with Steel. You won't regret it.
Sponsored

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed the skid system today by myself and it was easier than I imagined. Still awaiting my gas tank skid from RCI and realizing that’s gonna be a pain to install.

also just ordered some bolt head protectors for the front 2 bolts on the RCI bash plate. (Ordered from north ridge 4x4). Should protect those front bolt heads way better.

430D0964-7DE5-47C7-A41A-2B73D7C209CD.jpeg

4A67E5E3-9FC5-4668-87F3-43837B6EF9F3.jpeg
What made you go with RCI for the LCA skids? I've been looking at JCR v DV8. LCA and rear shock are next on my list.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My cross member skids have shipped and are currently on the way. I have Full RCI aluminum skids, Aluminum Fuel skid, Steel A-arm skid, and Steel rear Diff skid (pending install). Have their Sliders ordered, but they haven't shipped. RCI has been around for a while and I used them for a lot of things with the old 4Runner.

Ford Bronco RCI Cross Member Skids installed :) IMG_1828
Ford Bronco RCI Cross Member Skids installed :) IMG_1824

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any thoughts on Steel vs Aluminum? I want to order today but keep going back and forth. I am thinking aluminum for weight saving and they say 2/3 the protection of steel.
Just my opinion, but I prefer steel with the A-arms and rear diff skids. If I was going to stick with steel (my badlands came with full steel factory skids), I would have only replaced the transmission skid to address the gap between it and the T-case skid. IMO, the stock skids are pretty tough and will work fine for most people. I went with Aluminum for most of mine due to weight savings and I live in the rust belt of the Midwest.

I had RCI aluminum skids on my 4Runner and they did great in Moab and Ouray a couple years ago.

Sponsored

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just my opinion, but I prefer steel with the A-arms and rear diff skids. If I was going to stick with steel (my badlands came with full steel factory skids), I would have only replaced the transmission skid to address the gap between it and the T-case skid. IMO, the stock skids are pretty tough and will work fine for most people. I went with Aluminum for most of mine due to weight savings and I live in the rust belt of the Midwest.

I had RCI aluminum skids on my 4Runner and they did great in Moab and Ouray a couple years ago.
Thanks! Yeah I have a Badlands as well but it lacks some protection as you said. I'm keeping the stock fuel tank skid of course. I ended up buying the RCI aluminum skid kit and then the steel cross member skids since they don't offer those in aluminum anyway. I'm also running the Next Venture motor sports rear shock skids already. Still undecided about LCA skids I honestly think it's overkill to protect the two shock bolts. I am considering other solutions for that like swapping the bolts but we will see. I may end up with LCA skids in the future.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interested to hear your thoughts? I’m torn as well.
I have FULL RCI steel under my Bronco. Yes, they are significantly heavier but it also gives me great peace of mind. I recently ran into a "big" rock in the middle of a trail at about 40mph and my engine skid slammed into it and took the brunt of it. My Bronco was lifted off ground , landed on center and bounced off the rear Diff Skid (DV8) which is also made of steel. It punched a hole in my front engine skid and by the looks of it, had it been aluminum I definitely would have sustained frame damage. Maybe not major, but still more than I would have been comfortable dealing with. If you are primarily doing slower rock crawling and easy trail riding I definitely feel the aluminum ones are fine (and lighter). But I even went the steel cross member skids juuuust for that extra level of protection. Yes, they are also cheaper and I was toying with the idea of paying the "delta" in price to go with aluminum, but am overall happy with my decision to date :) The reality is that I rarely do crazy rock climbing very often. But on trail I enjoy driving more aggressively and faster, but not carelessly, than most do. Knowing I have steel all around gives me that extra level of confidence. Just my 2 cents from experiencing a "hard" impact and coming out of it unscathed ( I just bought a new front skid section from RCI and replaced it).

VentureBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
What made you go with RCI for the LCA skids? I've been looking at JCR v DV8. LCA and rear shock are next on my list.
i really like the bolt head protection, and wide plate with angles that RCI used. I also was Ordering their full under skids, so just went with a “full kit” (less multiple shipping costs) . The LCA skids are really solid and feel like they leave less “holes to get caught” and more surface area to spread any impact and slide. Even thought they are super easy to install, they feel very solid mounted , and not overly complex.

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i really like the bolt head protection, and wide plate with angles that RCI used. I also was Ordering their full under skids, so just went with a “full kit” (less multiple shipping costs) . The LCA skids are really solid and feel like they leave less “holes to get caught” and more surface area to spread any impact and slide. Even thought they are super easy to install, they feel very solid mounted , and not overly complex.
Agreed. the ONLY bolts that actually "protrude" are the TWo front engine skid plate bolts, which are exposed. I found a "skid washer" solution that takes care of that :)

From RCI (without solution)

Ford Bronco RCI Cross Member Skids installed :) BOLT1

with solution and washer installed

Ford Bronco RCI Cross Member Skids installed :) BOLT2

VentureBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Sasquatch 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed. the ONLY bolts that actually "protrude" are the TWo front engine skid plate bolts, which are exposed. I found a "skid washer" solution that takes care of that :)

From RCI (without solution)

with solution and washer installed

Yup. I got the same thing. But then sprayed some black paint on the head too.

Sponsored

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any experience sliding on these RCI cross member skids? I beat one of my cross members and am considering protection here.

20230507_102321.jpg

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any experience sliding on these RCI cross member skids? I beat one of my cross members and am considering protection here.

Ford Bronco RCI Cross Member Skids installed :) 20230507_102321
No sliding but I have the WHOLE RCI undercarriage protection system. All Steel. I have experience hitting my front bash plate at 35mph into a massive rock that punched a hole in it - but completely protected my engine. If the rest of RCI stuff is built this way, I'm all for it :)

RangerDanger

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know if the T-Case skid is the same for the 4dr and 2dr? I ordered the 4dr but it looks like it's for the 2dr based on the directions (plus has an extra metal attachment that goes to the fuel tank skid). 4dr directions show an open slot at the two driver side frame connections, 2dr shows closed slots...
Sponsored