Warthog Lover

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado VortecMax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone routed an additional rear stock back-up camera power wire in parallel through an Aux switch so they can turn camera on anytime while driving to check trailer? Would it mess with system software if I did?

My theory is (I have the manual stick shift) that it’s just an electronic switch that turns on power to camera when flipped into reverse and off when moving forward. I have the setting delayed so the camera remains on for 30 seconds even if moving forward though. If I find the wire after the switch toward camera and tap into it with additional power wire via aux switch the camera would bypass stick shift when flipped on.

Thoughts?

{UPDATE}

I spoke to an electronics tech at Ford service and he said that the camera is connected by a coaxial cable. The computer sends a signal to it which retrieves the image and deciphers it electronically. So with this info I'm thinking that the reverse gear has an electronic switch associated with it that sends a signal to the computer to trigger Firm ware code to ask for the camera image. I want to edit this firm ware somehow to receive a signal from the aux switch via an electronic switch triggered by the on position of the Aux. Who out there knows anything about any of this!?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone routed an additional rear stock back-up camera power wire in parallel through an Aux switch so they can turn camera on anytime while driving to check trailer? Would it mess with system software if I did?

My theory is (I have the manual stick shift) that it’s just an electronic switch that turns on power to camera when flipped into reverse and off when moving forward. I have the setting delayed so the camera remains on for 30 seconds even if moving forward though. If I find the wire after the switch toward camera and tap into it with additional power wire via aux switch the camera would bypass stick shift when flipped on.

Thoughts?
I've been out of the electronics game for awhile now but I would be careful that it may not be a 12v wire . It could be a signal from the computer module that activates it.

OP
OP
Warthog Lover

Warthog Lover

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado VortecMax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been out of the electronics game for awhile now but I would be careful that it may not be a 12v wire . It could be a signal from the computer module that activates it.
Yes, you are probably right. Maybe it's always on and the computer switches to regular display which makes things more complicated.

Sjortiz

Badlands
First Name
Shailyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
like the overhead lamp light

OP
OP
Warthog Lover

Warthog Lover

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado VortecMax
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But you can turn that on and off so it can be done for sure.
Sponsored