Phanoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda ( for now )
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone, I hoped someone could help me brainstorm an idea for my Badlands ( on order like everyone else's heh ) and my wheelchair. My family used to go camping when I had a 1990 Bronco and getting this new one ( one day ) just has me extremely excited.

I use forearm crutches for short distances and normally use them to retrieve my chair from the rear cargo area. I was getting creative with the Bronco and trying to find a nice way to get my chair. I have 3 primary ideas; not counting the normal stow my chair next to me and drop take it out.

Variables:
chair weight: 9'lbs​
existing tailgate accessories​
Ford tailgate table: 25'lbs​
tailgate hydraulic capabilities​
My kid does aerial Cirque so I'm going to try to calculate the force of the falling object. I mentioned it only so it's known that I'm trying to keep this in mind as well and plan to work this out to ensure there's not excessive pull on when the tailgate opens.

Idea 1
use the bar on the rear of my chair ( seen in red ) and clip / connect it to the gate. I think any type of hook / clips setup would need to be longer to get past the wheels but I don't think there would really be much of a drop when the door opens.​
I was thinking of some type of carabiner connection on both sides. That way I could remove it as needed. When the tailgate opens, the chair is hanging. This idea has gone all types of nutty, with thinking of a way to lower it etc but right now I'm just thinking of the connections.​

Idea 2
use the front bars ( seen in blue ). This is kinda the same setup but I just don't think there's any way for me to set this up and it work. But I wanted to call it out in case somebody has a great idea​
I've got a lot of harebrained ideas past these two, looking at the cost to reverse the drivers side rear door; but really I'm just tossing spaghetti at the wall to see what may stick. I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and there are some extremely creative people, so I thought I'd open source this and see what comes of it.

I sincerely appreciate any comments or ideas. Thank you all so very much and I can't wait for mine to come in.

Ford Bronco Rear Tailgate Weight | Wheelchair Idea wheelchair-qs
Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Some question for you…
1. 4 door or 2 door?
2. Is the current tailgate door with the spare tire going to be an issue for you? Have you had a chance to open one yet? I ask, because if it’s already heavy, adding this to the tailgate may be too much weight for you to open the door.
3. Does your wheelchair fold? If so, what does that look like?

Just brainstorming, but an idea is don’t clip it to the tailgate. Mabett and others make molle panels for the trunk sides. Maybe you devise something to clip your chair to a side molle panel? That way when you open the tailgate, you don’t have to worry about your chair falling out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Maxzina-Or...896&sprefix=bronco+molle+panel,aps,231&sr=8-7

OP
OP
Phanoko

Phanoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda ( for now )
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First, thanks brainstorming this with me. I really like your comment / idea about the side panels. That made me ask why not set something up on the side. I planned on taking a bunch of notes with this info for when my Bronco comes in. I'm glad you asked, I should have included those

1. 4 door
2. All of the doors I've opened thus far have been alright. They are heavier than I'm used to but I think you right that the additional weight of the chair may put it over the edge
3. it's rigid frame and is the same model in the picture I tossed in there. All and all it has a pretty normal setup but sits a bit taller than other chairs I've used / seen

I think looking at the sides may end up as a much better idea. I really appreciate the idea's.

jannie123

Big Bend
First Name
Jannie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota v8
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You don't need to clip it to the tailgate. I only recommend you get a folding wheelchair or scooter, which you can get easily online, but before getting one you must read reviews like here.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Posting to easily find this thread, and remind myself to think of ideas for this

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So question: How is your arm strength? I don't know what disability you have, but both my aunt and uncle were quadriplegics, my aunt had insane arm strength but my uncle not so much.
My tailgate on my OBX is wonky. Don't know if it's just my Bronco or all of them but it requires a bit of a couple pulls to get it fully open.

If I'm reading correctly, your wheelchair does not fold?
I'm wondering if (with the right engineering, and everything else), there could be some sort of low profile/light weight ramp design made so you could store it in the back?

Maybe I'm not reading the post right (I'm also exhausted), but I will think of more details and ideas.
I'll also ask my cousin, who may have better ideas.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's a thought...I don't know the measurements or if it would work well for you, but JCR makes a bumper/tire carrier with two swingarms, one for the spare tire and the other is for whatever you want, like jerry cans and whatnot. The carriers are mounted with tapered roller bearings and swing with very little resistance compared to a tailgate with a spare mounted to it, so the end result is that all three would swing easily. If the chair was small enough to fit on the other swingout carrier, that might be a good solution. Could even fab up some kind of simple lift that would fit on the carrier itself. If there's not enough room, it might be possible to have the chair mounted at an angle and overlap the spare a little?

BR6RV_5_1024x682.jpg

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2dr and needed to haul my scooter. Not enough room inside so I installed a lift.

Ford Bronco Rear Tailgate Weight | Wheelchair Idea BR6RV_5_1024x682
Hi. I need to put a lift and mobility scooter on my Bronco for my parents. Curious if your lift came with a long bar to reach the hitch receiver, or did you use an extender? Also, do you know the total weight of the scooter and lift? Thanks!

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi. I need to put a lift and mobility scooter on my Bronco for my parents. Curious if your lift came with a long bar to reach the hitch receiver, or did you use an extender? Also, do you know the total weight of the scooter and lift? Thanks!
I got the Harmar lift AL160 lift, ALA125 extra long hitch adapter, AL105L light weight swing adapter. I don't have my weight calculation handy, but with my Buzzaround EX 3-Wheel scooter total weight was less than 280lbs.

Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got the Harmar lift AL160 lift, ALA125 extra long hitch adapter, AL105L light weight swing adapter. I don't have my weight calculation handy, but with my Buzzaround EX 3-Wheel scooter total weight was less than 280lbs.
Thanks! Very helpful!

OBXBRONCO

Wildtrak
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I use a spare tire rack from @sparea for my beach chairs. looks like it would work easily for a wheel chair.

20231124_143308.jpg

OBXBRONCO

Wildtrak
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

you can get them with fixed or adjustable arms.

20231103_082522.jpg

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I bet that would work fine! And a low cost option as well. Looks like his chair only weighs 9lbs which is a hell of a lot lighter than some of the 37” tires folks are putting on the tailgate.

you can get them with fixed or adjustable arms.

20231103_082522.jpg
Sponsored