First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2012 Ford F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I like being able to remove the hard top by myself which wasn't a problem til I put the Jtops bimini top on. Now I can't take the center section off like I did by lifting and moving over towards one side while in the back seat. The bimini obviously won't let me do that. The Jtops bimini is not designed to be taken off frequently so that's not an option either. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? TIA
Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I like being able to remove the hard top by myself which wasn't a problem til I put the Jtops bimini top on. Now I can't take the center section off like I did by lifting and moving over towards one side while in the back seat. The bimini obviously won't let me do that. The Jtops bimini is not designed to be taken off frequently so that's not an option either. Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? TIA
This is Mike with JTops. We take the center panel off all the time. I do it by myself most of the time.

Use the zipper ports, unlatch it and lift it off. So far never had anyone say they could not get it off. One person can do it because it’s so light.
Hope this helps.

Mike

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ohhhhhhhh I was wondering what those zippers were all about on our bestop mesh top.

Just half an hour ago, first time try putting the hardtop back on without removing the mesh because someone mentioned it's meant to stay on. Turns out it doesn't work for me, I use a hardtop hoist with ratchet straps and can't get the straps back off with the mesh there.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ohhhhhhhh I was wondering what those zippers were all about on our bestop mesh top.

Just half an hour ago, first time try putting the hardtop back on without removing the mesh because someone mentioned it's meant to stay on. Turns out it doesn't work for me, I use a hardtop hoist with ratchet straps and can't get the straps back off with the mesh there.
Never heard of a hoist that could not be used with a mesh top?
Mike

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Never heard of a hoist that could not be used with a mesh top?
Mike
It's a homebrew design and uses ratchet straps passing along the underside of the hardtop shell. I'm sure with enough finagling I could get the straps out/in, but not worth the effort vs simply removing the meshtop. The only real headache are those two long screws at the speakers.

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a homebrew design and uses ratchet straps passing along the underside of the hardtop shell. I'm sure with enough finagling I could get the straps out/in, but not worth the effort vs simply removing the meshtop. The only real headache are those two long screws at the speakers.
That’s awesome you made your own! I built one out of straps for my Jeep but I used flat hooks that went under the shells lip. Not sure if it would work on the Bronco.
If we can we help in any way let us know.
Mike

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe your wife could do it for you? Got any kids above the age of 12 or 14 with a little bit of upper body strength? A retired 65+ neighbor maybe?

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the Jtops bimini, as well as a home brew hoist to remove the hard top, and I'm able to do all the removal work myself. My hoist lifts the front portion of the hard top (rear section) at the front bolt locations. So the hoist lifts at the brackets that are attached at the front of the rear shell, where it bolts to the top of the roll bar.

I agree that the middle section is tricky to remove and install by yourself. You have to put your hand through the zipper sections to undo the latches anyway. Once all the latches are undone, I just push straight up, with one hand on the left and one hand on the right (through the zipper holes), while sitting in the middle of the back seat. While it is lifted straight up, you can use your fingertips to walk the roof section to the side. In my case, I walk it straight back and let it rest on top of the rear shell. When I hoist the rear shell, the middle roof section goes up with it.

OP
OP
drewski

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the Jtops bimini, as well as a home brew hoist to remove the hard top, and I'm able to do all the removal work myself. My hoist lifts the front portion of the hard top (rear section) at the front bolt locations. So the hoist lifts at the brackets that are attached at the front of the rear shell, where it bolts to the top of the roll bar.

I agree that the middle section is tricky to remove and install by yourself. You have to put your hand through the zipper sections to undo the latches anyway. Once all the latches are undone, I just push straight up, with one hand on the left and one hand on the right (through the zipper holes), while sitting in the middle of the back seat. While it is lifted straight up, you can use your fingertips to walk the roof section to the side. In my case, I walk it straight back and let it rest on top of the rear shell. When I hoist the rear shell, the middle roof section goes up with it.
Awesome! I'll give this a go. I have a top lift pro so this might work out slick for me. Thanks

OP
OP
drewski

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe your wife could do it for you? Got any kids above the age of 12 or 14 with a little bit of upper body strength? A retired 65+ neighbor maybe?
Thanks for the suggestions. Wife is too short and we are empty nesters. A neighbor will work if I have to go that route but I really want to be able to do it myself. May have to swallow that pride. LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
drewski

drewski

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is Mike with JTops. We take the center panel off all the time. I do it by myself most of the time.

Use the zipper ports, unlatch it and lift it off. So far never had anyone say they could not get it off. One person can do it because it’s so light.
Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks for responding Mike. When you take it off by yourself are you standing to one side and lifting off? If so, unfortunately I am not able to do so, at least at this time. I have a torn rotator cuff and labral fraying. If that's the way you take it off, I'll give it a try after surgery and therapy in Oct.

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for responding Mike. When you take it off by yourself are you standing to one side and lifting off? If so, unfortunately I am not able to do so, at least at this time. I have a torn rotator cuff and labral fraying. If that's the way you take it off, I'll give it a try after surgery and therapy in Oct.
Sorry to hear. My wife just went through this and is now in physical therapy. She is way better and getting stronger all the time.

Standing to the side and sliding it until I can gab the entire panel. Might be tough in your current condition.

Hope you feel better soon!

Mike
Sponsored