BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am going to install a DX8 competition bumper and I have read that I need to cut tow hooks or just remove them and replace with other skid plate brackets. I also read that these plates hold the intercooler in place. So how do I remove the tow hooks and install the replacement brackets without letting the intercooler fall out? I don't own a jack to hold it in place.
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had both intercooler mounts off at the same time. It will hang by the hoses.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't own a jack to hold it in place.
Even if it does shift around a bit while you do this, it weighs all of about 15 lbs filled, so it isn't a big deal. It won't fall out though.

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you all! I am a novice at this stuff so appreciate the info

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would be a great time to upgrade your intercooler.

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What benefits would I get and how difficult is that process?
Cooler inlet air temps, so more power and it takes longer to heat soak.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What benefits would I get and how difficult is that process?
Everything @KABQ says is true. That said, at stock engine tuning - not a whole lot.

If you are running with a lot of boost, you can eventually get to a point where the intercooler doesn't have any more room to cool - you get "heat soaked". At that point, inlet charge air and oil temps start to creep up, and then the engine will start to experience knock. Once that happens, the engine will start to de-tune itself to try to keep from slagging down. So you lose horsepower - very similar to running lower octane gasoline.

Now, at stock tuning, this isn't such a big deal. There are certain conditions that you can get it to happen - slow speeds going uphill a lot (lots of torque needed and not a lot of airflow through the intercooler), operating in very dusty or muddy environments (clogs up the fins on the intercooler), etc. So it can happen under stock, but it isn't common, there's a lot of headroom on the stock engine tuning.

If you are running aggressive third party tuning - there they crank everything to the limit, and it's much much easier to hit a heat soaked condition, and when you do the power loss is much more noticable.

And... saying all of that: it's not exactly that hard to drop the bumper and pop the retainers if you decide to do the intercooler in the future, so it isn't exactly a "Do it now or never" situation. But you are about 2/3 of the way there if you are doing a new bumper.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Everything @KABQ says is true. That said, at stock engine tuning - not a whole lot.

If you are running with a lot of boost, you can eventually get to a point where the intercooler doesn't have any more room to cool - you get "heat soaked". At that point, inlet charge air and oil temps start to creep up, and then the engine will start to experience knock. Once that happens, the engine will start to de-tune itself to try to keep from slagging down. So you lose horsepower - very similar to running lower octane gasoline.

Now, at stock tuning, this isn't such a big deal. There are certain conditions that you can get it to happen - slow speeds going uphill a lot (lots of torque needed and not a lot of airflow through the intercooler), operating in very dusty or muddy environments (clogs up the fins on the intercooler), etc. So it can happen under stock, but it isn't common, there's a lot of headroom on the stock engine tuning.

If you are running aggressive third party tuning - there they crank everything to the limit, and it's much much easier to hit a heat soaked condition, and when you do the power loss is much more noticable.
All true, I definitely generalized it. Honestly I've never noticed heat soak, even on 95Ā° days at 8,000 feet where I like to fish (less cooling capacity at altitude). I also drive in a pretty relaxed manor, at least in the Bronco, but I could see it happening in those conditions if I were driving more spiritedly. My buddy's 3.5 EB F-150 definitely loses power up there.

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks both. So if I were to get a new intercooler. What should I get and are there a decent set of instructions to swap? Again I know how to use basic tools etc but not a very experienced car guy (but want to get experience)

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And... saying all of that: it's not exactly that hard to drop the bumper and pop the retainers if you decide to do the intercooler in the future, so it isn't exactly a "Do it now or never" situation. But you are about 2/3 of the way there if you are doing a new bumper.
Ok you guys have convinced me lol. Looks like cpe is a good one? Looks like an easy install

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Iā€™m on a ProCal tune and Iā€™ve never had an issue with it either, but I donā€™t do a lot of desert running or really punishing runs either. I have seen oil temps cruise up over 220, but canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever noticed a Power reduction due to it, and it usually doesnā€™t take long for the temps to get back under 200 once I get to the top of the hill. A lot of my driving is at 4,000-10,000ft.

I have a friend that has a f150 raptor running a Cobb tune and he sees it frequently and just upgraded his intercooler to a Cobb unit as well - and is in the process of redoing his tune to take advantage of it. He thinks heā€™ll get another handful of hp out of it, but more importantly it wonā€™t hit heat soak as rapidly. On his 3.5 running e85 he says when it cuts it drops significantly - Iā€™ve never been in it to know what he means first hand but I take him at his word. Thatā€™s a whole different beast than my 2.3 on its factory tune running 91 though.

I canā€™t say what is good or bad with respect to aftermarket coolers.
Sponsored

Last edited: