Sponsored

Retroactive Hardtop Conversion After Sale?

ozzman469

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To help speed up delivery time, I'm opting for a soft top and then later getting the black modular hard top. I know that if I only get the soft top, it will not come with the electrical/washer fluid connections for the hard top. I've seen a lot of writeups on Jeep forums of people who have done a conversion kit and does not seem to be too entirely difficult and would imagine it would be very similar with the Bronco. I'm curious if anyone else is looking at going down this path?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the mechanical portion it doesn't seem difficult at all. Fully understand the desire to have the truck ASAP but why give Ford extra money if you don't need to (for the parts)?

OP
OP

ozzman469

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the mechanical portion it doesn't seem difficult at all. Fully understand the desire to have the truck ASAP but why give Ford extra money if you don't need to (for the parts)?
One of those things where it's potentially delay delivery just for a hard top, or get vehicle and worry about the hard top later. I am in no dire need of a hard top

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The devil is in the details on adding the parts later. Did Ford use the same wiring harness and just not connect the rear plug or is it a different harness? Isuzu had a larger washer tank for hardtops and ran an extra line through the body to the rear. I imagine Ford is doing something similar. Finally, the rear wiper button/switch would need to be added to the dash.

Hopefully, this falls under Ford’s modularity banner and these things just plug in, but if not.... ?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of those things where it's potentially delay delivery just for a hard top, or get vehicle and worry about the hard top later. I am in no dire need of a hard top
Do you really want a hard top at all?

Any previous experience with Broncos or Jeeps to know?

Sponsored

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah to MIC or not to MIC, that was my question.

Security vs ease of open top.

I was fine getting the soft top when it was repeatedly stated the connections were there no matter what. Now that information has changed (no surprise, but much disappointment). My plan was to pick up a used MIC once the painted tops became available.

I will purchase a soft top when I get around to it. Maybe apply the $300 credit towards that.

OP
OP

ozzman469

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you really want a hard top at all?

Any previous experience with Broncos or Jeeps to know?
I've had both a hard top and soft top Jeep. Loved the no planning required with the soft top (just take it down when the mood strikes), but also loved quieter ride from the hard top.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had both a hard top and soft top Jeep. Loved the no planning required with the soft top (just take it down when the mood strikes), but also loved quieter ride from the hard top.
So, you at least have a point of reference which is light-years ahead of everyone who's brand new to the segment.

One thing I've learned about myself--over decades of buying vehicles--is that I am much happier with a vehicle that comes exactly how I want it off the showroom floor despite how much I love to talk bolt-ons and mods. Adding a hard top just seems like a damned hassle compared to waiting, but that's just like my opinion, man.

OP
OP

ozzman469

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, you at least have a point of reference which is light-years ahead of everyone who's brand new to the segment.

One thing I've learned about myself--over decades of buying vehicles--is that I am much happier with a vehicle that comes exactly how I want it off the showroom floor despite how much I love to talk bolt-ons and mods. Adding a hard top just seems like a damned hassle compared to waiting, but that's just like my opinion, man.
I hear ya. Reason why I posted the question, to see if anyone else out there is thinking along the same thing or if I'm just crazy...ha!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear ya. Reason why I posted the question, to see if anyone else out there is thinking along the same thing or if I'm just crazy...ha!
I'm a die hard 2-door, so I'd kill for a soft top like the factory 4-door and don't want the monsoon-leak ing of the gunner's hatch in the modular top.

If I shopped the 4-door, I'd get the dual soft and mod tops option. It's never going to be as quiet as my F150. I'd just never want to cut into the paint to add a hard top later... maybe get mic dual top and try and sell it?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you want a hard top, order one now if even just the MIC. Aftermarket may get some but then you'll have the hookups.

Now if you dont care about the washer or defrosters, then sure go softop. Just know that ordering a hard top later is going to be a crap ton more expensive than what is on the B&P now.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Adding the soft-top later is going to be cheaper (shipping) and simpler. What’s your reservation date? Delayed items don’t necessarily mean you will get them in December. It could mean in October. However, if that’s when your build was showing up anyways, you don’t have to wait at all.

Jv15

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I figure MIC tops are going to be plentiful once the painted/mod tops start rolling in given how impatient many seem to be. I don’t really care about the wiper/fluid hookups so I’m going soft top out of the gate and hoping to scoop a MIC hard top later for cheap.

JGee

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I figure MIC tops are going to be plentiful once the painted/mod tops start rolling in given how impatient many seem to be. I don’t really care about the wiper/fluid hookups so I’m going soft top out of the gate and hoping to scoop a MIC hard top later for cheap.
I chose the standard soft top bc my dealer said there was late availability on the hardtops, plus I saw a YouTube video that showed the various opening options with the standard top. Looked ok to me and I plan on getting a hardtop later on. Used might be the best move.

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting.. when i sat down with my dealer last week he said it would come all set up with wash and defrost even if I got the hardtop.
Sponsored