doobie77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be potentially my first purchase of an off roader that has removal top/doors and am curious on road noise when driving at high speeds. Is it pretty loud? Does sound deadening help with temperature control and road noise (I know there is an option for this in the build list). I have owned 2 4RUNNER’s over the past 20 years and while I love them...I have had my eye on the Bronco since photos started hitting the internet several years ago. I am definitely not an off road (definitely Ana anomaly on this site) but love the style of more rugged SUV’s. I would be using the Bronco as a daily driver and will won’t be taking off the roof panels often (obviously when weather is nice i will, but subject to Chicago weather). I have a reservation for the Badlands, but the road noise is the only thing making me reconsider. I also took a new Rubicon (no sound deadening )for a test drive and the road noise was rather bad. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatch or no squatch? I imagine it's not any worse than any wrangler and those sound fine. You can also add sound deadening liner to noisy areas yourself. You're getting the lux package for the universal remote right? Lol. High and up should include additional sound deadening.

OP
OP

doobie77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatch or no squatch? I imagine it's not any worse than any wrangler and those sound fine. You can also add sound deadening liner to noisy areas yourself. You're getting the lux package for the universal remote right? Lol. High and up should include additional sound deadening.
Thanks for the response. Leaning towards the 33 All Terrain tires, Lux package, and sound deadening option offered by Ford. Does the sound deadening make a noticeable difference in reducing road noise and better temp control? I really want to make the move to the Bronco...thing looks amazing! As I am not an off roader, my focus is on daily driving. Most of my driving is on the highway as I don’t drive much in Chicago city limits (public transportation available ). Unfortunately, I won’t get to test drive one before making the order which is why I’m trying to get info from seasoned Wrangler owners and off roaders. Thanks again!

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco Sport might be the ticket if you don’t plan taking the top off or go off road.
Def more quiet and peaceful.

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for the response. Leaning towards the 33 All Terrain tires, Lux package, and sound deadening option offered by Ford. Does the sound deadening make a noticeable difference in reducing road noise and better temp control? I really want to make the move to the Bronco...thing looks amazing! As I am not an off roader, my focus is on daily driving. Most of my driving is on the highway as I don’t drive much in Chicago city limits (public transportation available ). Unfortunately, I won’t get to test drive one before making the order which is why I’m trying to get info from seasoned Wrangler owners and off roaders. Thanks again!
The Badlands spec is for offroading. If your sole focus is daily driving maybe consider a different trim if noise is your worry.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you’ve never had an off road vehicle, then yes, you will think it’s loud. My first two K5s didn’t even have radios cause I couldn’t hear it over tires and exhaust. The plus is you don’t have to carry on conversations with who ever is riding with you.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t think you will like much about the Bronco if your plan is to daily it in the city. Badlands is a model geared towards rock crawling, and you would never use any of the features it has if you aren’t going off-road.

Outer banks model may be more your speed on street tires but again don’t expect it to be much quieter than that Rubicon you test drove.

Bladerunner24

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 expedition, 67 camaro rs, 89 bmw 535i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

One of the optional hard tops comes with a sound defining liner

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what you are saying you will probably think it's loud and noisy, especially with the Badlands trim. Out of curiosity why choose the model most geared toward hardcore off-roading when you have zero plans to do such? I mean it's your money but I thing a Outer Banks or Big Bend may be more suited for you. The suspension and rubber floors of the Badlands is going to increase the road noise as well. I'd get a model with carpet and less aggressive tires for sure if I were you.

Sponsored
OP
OP

doobie77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t think you will like much about the Bronco if your plan is to daily it in the city. Badlands is a model geared towards rock crawling, and you would never use any of the features it has if you aren’t going off-road.

Outer banks model may be more your speed on street tires but again don’t expect it to be much quieter than that Rubicon you test drove.
Agree, I was going to look the OB model as well. Based on photos I’ve seen, gotta go with 33 AT tires as the minimum. Street tires don’t do that truck justice. Does sound deadening really reduce road noise in a meaningful way?

OP
OP

doobie77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what you are saying you will probably think it's loud and noisy, especially with the Badlands trim. Out of curiosity why choose the model most geared toward hardcore off-roading when you have zero plans to do such? I mean it's your money but I thing a Outer Banks or Big Bend may be more suited for you. The suspension and rubber floors of the Badlands is going to increase the road noise as well. I'd get a model with carpet and less aggressive tires for sure if I were you.
I like the grill of the Badlands the most, but the OB might be my best option. Can’t do street tires, doesn’t do the Bronco justice.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It can't be as bad as my 1992 Ranger that weighed 3,100 pounds. Basically a tin box on a ladder frame, with doors too flimsy to properly hold the wind out at highway speeds. I'm sure you'll be able to talk on your bluetooth phone just fine with all doors & windows closed.

Never had a road noise issue on my 1996 Discovery, which tipped the scales at nearly 5,000 lbs with bumpers and tires. That one was a slightly warmed-over farm tractor but better built from a chassis perspective than the Ranger. Ran 32" mud tires on that vehicle (BFG KM2s), no real issue other than a faint but not unpleasant hum on the interstate.

My guess is the Bronco will be a bit louder than a typical modern crossover SUV on street tires, but a bit quieter than my old Disco. Maybe drive a Wrangler as a comparison point, but don't give in and buy one! Be original! lol

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the grill of the Badlands the most, but the OB might be my best option. Can’t do street tires, doesn’t do the Bronco justice.
I definitely wouldn't buy the BL just for the grill. Those you can purchase separately and are easily swapped out. I hear ya on the tires but remember you can always upgrade those later with a more quieter option than Ford might offer. Buy a much less expensive model and upgrade it the way that you want. I really wouldn't expect an BL to be significantly quieter the the Rubi you drove.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

any vehicle like this there is going to be some comfort trade offs. I have had a cush ford explorer limited for a bit over a year but I am still kicking myself for trading in my paid off, rugged, AT tire, lifted dodge ram with vinyl interior. I miss the ruggedness because that is me. Also I have never off roaded (coining) and commute 70 highway miles per day.

I suggest watching this video to get a good idea on what to expect.

Sponsored