First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered up a 2DL Badlands NON-SAS to build a daily driver/crawler with the intention of ditching the factory suspension for coilovers and 37" tires.

My current rock crawler is a seasoned build of a little over 11 years of abuse and takes relentless beatings to the point where people watching cringe - I love it.
Ford Bronco Rock Crawler Daily 1647482169143
Ford Bronco Rock Crawler Daily 1647483118416

Obviously I won't be doing what this rig is capable of but I want to go 85% of the places that truck goes now and I think I can do it on 37's.

I'm looking around and from what I see there are basically two options that catch my eyes: King and Fox with some sort of upper control arm. I want to use the entire travel range and I'm wondering if 3.5-4.5" of lift are going to allow that to happen or not.

This Camburg kit with the tubular uppers looks like it should fit the bill, but has anyone really put a kit like this with 37's through it's paces?
Ford Bronco Rock Crawler Daily 1647482947796
Ford Bronco Rock Crawler Daily 1647482987111

I've wheeled big tire rigs like my 74' on 43's and I've wheeled little tire rigs like my Samurai on 31's and I have a blast in both but they both leave something on the table that I think the Bronco can perfectly hit the sweet spot. I've got other vehicles I can drive, including my other build being a 750+ AWHP 4WD 1994 Bronco on drag radials, so I'm not worried about this being a little bit of a handful at times but I don't think that will be the case anyway.

Not to get too long winded, but are there any other hardcore wheelers out there pushing the limits of the Bronco? I've seen the Loren Healy video and that setup looks to be similar to what I'm planning, but there isn't a ton of info out on it beyond what the video shows.... not to mention none of those Fun-Haver parts look to be up for sale yet.

Thanks
Sponsored

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Icon has the most actual wheel
Travel 11.5 front and 14 rear. they have non reservoir. Resy, adjustable compression resy, and electric

fox and king have less wheel travel than stock. (They do add lift but not travel)

stock is like 9.5 and 10.5 inches of travel.

camburg will have a long travel kit with bumpstops.

BajaKits will have a long travel
Kit with the swaybar

RTR will have ?

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’m a serious wheeler. I won’t be wheeling this Bronco but will be keeping an eye on what people do with these and maybe pick up a base down the road to play around with. Good luck, we are paying attention…

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm fairly hardcore compared to the majority here. Drilled and cut my rear shock mounts, trimmed bump stops, trimmed crash bars, 37s now going to 38s soon...old logging roads and skidder trails are an everyday thing for me.

I have over 11” front travel and 13” in rear now on SAS suspension.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I ordered up a 2DL Badlands NON-SAS to build a daily driver/crawler with the intention of ditching the factory suspension for coilovers and 37" tires.

My current rock crawler is a seasoned build of a little over 11 years of abuse and takes relentless beatings to the point where people watching cringe - I love it.

Obviously I won't be doing what this rig is capable of but I want to go 85% of the places that truck goes now and I think I can do it on 37's.

I'm looking around and from what I see there are basically two options that catch my eyes: King and Fox with some sort of upper control arm. I want to use the entire travel range and I'm wondering if 3.5-4.5" of lift are going to allow that to happen or not.

This Camburg kit with the tubular uppers looks like it should fit the bill, but has anyone really put a kit like this with 37's through it's paces?

I've wheeled big tire rigs like my 74' on 43's and I've wheeled little tire rigs like my Samurai on 31's and I have a blast in both but they both leave something on the table that I think the Bronco can perfectly hit the sweet spot. I've got other vehicles I can drive, including my other build being a 750+ AWHP 4WD 1994 Bronco on drag radials, so I'm not worried about this being a little bit of a handful at times but I don't think that will be the case anyway.

Not to get too long winded, but are there any other hardcore wheelers out there pushing the limits of the Bronco? I've seen the Loren Healy video and that setup looks to be similar to what I'm planning, but there isn't a ton of info out on it beyond what the video shows.... not to mention none of those Fun-Haver parts look to be up for sale yet.

Thanks
Love the pics of the early Bronco and the trail looks fun!...I had a 1966 and 1968 miss both.

Funny thing is to me, years back extremist were lengthening the wheelbase on the Bronco by several inches to get to the ”perfect 100” wheelbase....Now that the 6g is 100”, here we have people wanting it even longer (4dr)...
Purists know 4drs are NOT in the same category as the previous 5 generations...and should be classified as something else. Oh well.

Sponsored

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I consider myself a hardcore rock junky. My 73 has been my crawler for 30 years, but I am retiring her and doing a resto to bring her back more streetable - EBs are worth too much to keep beating on it. I probably won't take my 6g (whenever I actually get it) on any extreme trails, but I want it as capable as possible and will take it on most Moab trails. I plan on coilovers and 37s. I'm watching with much interest on what others come up with.

I'm building a beater jeep/buggy for the extreme stuff...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Icon has the most actual wheel
Travel 11.5 front and 14 rear. they have non reservoir. Resy, adjustable compression resy, and electric

fox and king have less wheel travel than stock. (They do add lift but not travel)

stock is like 9.5 and 10.5 inches of travel.

camburg will have a long travel kit with bumpstops.

BajaKits will have a long travel
Kit with the swaybar

RTR will have ?
Thanks for that actual info, I had spent so much time diving into the waiting game for my wife's 4dr that I got a little burned out and took a break from the site but with Bronco #9 joining the stable I'm back at it again trying to build something capable.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love the pics of the early Bronco and the trail looks fun!...I had a 1966 and 1968 miss both.

Funny thing is to me, years back extremist were lengthening the wheelbase on the Bronco by several inches to get to the ”perfect 100” wheelbase....Now that the 6g is 100”, here we have people wanting it even longer (4dr)...
Purists know 4drs are NOT in the same category as the previous 5 generations...and should be classified as something else. Oh well.
My wheelbase is the limiting factor on my 74' and it keeps me from playing in certain areas because I don't want to flip it over, although I haven't played with sucking the front end down with the winch... I took the 4dr out on some winter wheeling trails and was flat out amazed that we didn't constantly smash the bottom and belly out on the steep stuff but I imagine all the snow helped us in that area. I'll sure miss the V8 sounds too!

Tcarp1

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on doing exactly what you are thinking. I live near the Rubicon and want an easier option when I don't want to load up the buggy. I have been wheeling the Rubicon since I was in a carseat. So almost 40 years. I feel very confident I could drive thru in stock SAS form, however I just ordered the Radflo coil overs and should see them next week. Will do a small drop on the front diff, UCAs, and some rear lower links and 37s. Should be about perfect for what I want to do and require less paying attention when wheeling the con.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks

2DR Base V-6 Squatch ordered here, just for wheeling............... still waiting for Ford to build it. :cautious:

In my mid 50's and work in auto parts, hot rodding, accessories, lift kits. wheel, tires for a living. I sell this stuff all day long so to me it is more exciting to see how much I can mod on the cheap on my Bronc. Looking to get in the 37/38 range Hell maybe even 40's. It's been quite the bumpy road at the moment. 😁

I can remember back when we were getting sneak peeks with the Bronco in camo thinking to myself, boy those mounts are low, why would they do that. I could see many improvements ahead even back then. Now that it is out and people are wheeling and modding I enjoy following the different builds. funny how you can tell the mall crawlers.:ROFLMAO:

I, like @Werkedperformance , have noticed how some of the aftermarket coilovers do not make any sense, why spend the money....... just to be adjustable ride height????? Not for me, I'm looking to improve. That said I thought the Foxes gave more droop than stock, but I could be wrong, not one to claim "I know it all".

I tend to look more big picture, this is a good idea, that is a good idea, that will work, that won't, then put the pieces together to come up with some kind of plan when I get my Bronc. So back when all the specs were coming out and the point was made that the Squatch's up travel was limited so those 35's would not smash the fender, my first thought was, easy fix.... cut the bump stop, travel returned. I can keep an eye on my fenders ;) Then along came ADV with them bad ass fenders that give you some added wheel well opening, there is room for impovement over the stock stampings. 37's with some clearance here we come. Then @BigMeatsBronco started posting and I was like 🤔 someone thinking like me, nice. I too travel the old logging roads and skidder trails, not the high speed desert. I need ground clearance and wheel travel.

Well, that is enough of my babbling for now, just wanted to chime in.

Keep up the good work Horsemen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, now looking at the Icon kit, looks like lots of add-ons are needed for the 37's and factory links. Oh well.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok, now looking at the Icon kit, looks like lots of add-ons are needed for the 37's and factory links. Oh well.

Easy there, don't get carried away. Like I said look at the big picture.

Icon = 11.5 and 14" of wheel travel.

BigMeats = 11 and 13" of travel. (I have seen his posts of the pics of the Bronco flexed with a tape measure)

🤔

:D

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BigMeats = 11 and 13" of travel. (I have seen his posts of the pics of the Bronco flexed with a tape measure)
What did he end up doing to achieve that?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What did he end up doing to achieve that?

I am not real forum savvy so you will have to bear with me till I find it. ;)

I will say what he did I would not recommend for everyone to do, but it's not like it's never been done before. :cautious:

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs