First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Note that the updated low-power controllers don't seem to cycle the steps when applying power. That was the first thing I noticed after updating the controllers. They appear to cycle when you close and open the door the first time. If you purchased the steps recently, you might have the updated controllers (the new ones are cased in black plastic, old design is white plastic).
I prefer the screw-down magnets (throw away the outer keeper):
1700945942636.png
Ohhh that could definitely explain it. Would you suggest finishing the install with the magnets and then applying power And opening the doors to test functionality?
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ohhh that could definitely explain it. Would you suggest finishing the install with the magnets and then applying power And opening the doors to test functionality?
I suppose you could just try holding the magnet up to the sensor. Good luck!

OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I suppose you could just try holding the magnet up to the sensor. Good luck!
The suggestion is much appreciated I’ll give it a go tomorrow!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Check your wiring harness(es) as I had a loose pin that was causing intermittent issues.

Since the passenger side is working you can also try running a couple of jumper wires from the passenger side to the drivers side to see if the step activates.

OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Check your wiring harness(es) as I had a loose pin that was causing intermittent issues.

Since the passenger side is working you can also try running a couple of jumper wires from the passenger side to the drivers side to see if the step activates.
I was thinking it could possibly be a harness issue as the capacitor plug in was noticeably more difficult to plug in then the passenger side and then when following the q&a portion of the install guide I dropped the step and applied direct power to the non functional side and it was working again. So the fault has to be somewhere in the line or the plugs was my first thought. But I wanted to pick the communities brain too

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

One of your magnets may not be making contact properly..
Had multiple problems with mine..( most have been magnets..) had to replace motor module on driver side and an o ring on step...RSE has fantastic customer service if needed...absolutely live these sliders...they'll save your seats from wear and tear and also protect from rocks from the trash good years
THIS^^^^^

Magnet alignment probably. I found that if I placed a piece of masking tape just above the magnet on the door, then shut the door, then placed a piece of tape just below the door on the inside to match the tape I placed above the magnet.... (follow all that??? I struggle to, but I know what I am trying to say) then I open the door and see if my body side magnet is aligned with the second piece of tape on the floor.... Took me a while to figure that process out... seems to have taken me a while just to explain it as well.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I was thinking it could possibly be a harness issue as the capacitor plug in was noticeably more difficult to plug in then the passenger side and then when following the q&a portion of the install guide I dropped the step and applied direct power to the non functional side and it was working again. So the fault has to be somewhere in the line or the plugs was my first thought. But I wanted to pick the communities brain too
OR magnet alignment.

Dannebrog53

Wildtrak
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Bronco, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak, Porsche Macan S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
One of your magnets may not be making contact properly..
Had multiple problems with mine..( most have been magnets..) had to replace motor module on driver side and an o ring on step...RSE has fantastic customer service if needed...absolutely live these sliders...they'll save your seats from wear and tear and also protect from rocks from the trash good years
Yep misaligned magnets are a likely cause

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those who keep suggesting magnet alignment as the issue, go back and re-read post 1. OP hasn't installed the magnets yet but is instead performing the required function check of the install process.

OP, let us know if you were able to perform any additional trouble shooting today.

OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Those who keep suggesting magnet alignment as the issue, go back and re-read post 1. OP hasn't installed the magnets yet but is instead performing the required function check of the install process.

OP, let us know if you were able to perform any additional trouble shooting today.
So trouble shooting was finally done today after the rain cleared up. I went out and verified all wires under driver side step were snugged and secured, I even tried the suggested magnetic tips even though I didn’t think that was the culprit. Upon trying magnets the passenger side worked flawlessly, but the driver side still remained in the upright position unresponsive. to me, it seems like the step is not getting power or the circuit board maybe fried. Like stated before the motor is fine because when taking off and applied directly to battery power motor functions as expected, however, when hooked to the wiring harness experience, malfunctions noted in original post.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update number 2. I just spoke with the guys at RSE. They give me a couple troubleshooting steps on testing to make sure I’m getting power to the step from the harness they believe that may be the issue. They said if I am receiving proper power from the harness, then it is likely the circuitboard on the motor, so I plan on testing that tonight when I get home.

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s what I figured as well. We put it to a multi meter to both the driver and passenger and both sides read zero which was weird considering the passage was functional
Dang, that is odd. When you get a resolution let us know. It might be good info for someone doing a future install.

OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
trouble shooting done for the night and final call to RSE placed we think we have it dialed into a faulty harness. The multimeter was not showing enough power output to the driver side plugs (black and red wires on the 12 pin plug) after speaking with RSE they were kind enough to agree to send me out a new harness free of charge. I’ll update when new harness is on and if there are any further issues.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
after speaking with RSE they were kind enough to agree to send me out a new harness free of charge.
Good luck. Hope you're dialed in soon. I just ordered mine with the optional light kit.

Although I've heard RSE died have good CS, I guess I wouldn't go so far as to say they were being "kind"... You have a warranty and have had some significant hassle.

OP
OP
Rancid

Rancid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good luck. Hope you're dialed in soon. I just ordered mine with the optional light kit.

Although I've heard RSE died have good CS, I guess I wouldn't go so far as to say they were being "kind"... You have a warranty and have had some significant hassle.
Actually no warranty on my end because they’re out of date on the warranty end but they’re still standing behind their product which is nice to see. Hopefully the harness is the solution to the issue. (If I was a betting man my money would be on it) so we’ll hopefully see in a few days provided shipping doesn’t take too long
Sponsored