Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
1 - All tires throw rocks .. some throw more than others

2 - some manufacturers have "Stone Ejectors" to lessen the ability of rocks to embed itself into the tread. Nitto Grapplers employs this tech. See below.

3 - in life everything has a cost. I assume you are running the 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q? These tires are 81.48 pounds each which is 18.48 pounds heavier per corner. KO2s 37s are 63 pounds each. Also the Grapples are NOT snow rated BUT you are in Texas and Florida so this is not important to you.

4 - Also 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q are D rated where the KO2s are C rated. D rated are going to be a rougher ride. Most guys will compensate by reducing the PSI and when you do, you increase rolling resistance. So as a result, you have a tire that is 18.48 pounds heavier with less air for comfort that your engine is trying to push down the road.

5 - Grapplers in LT315/70R17 E 121/118Q are E rated and weigh 18.83 pounds more than the SAS Goodyear MTs.

This is what I do ... if I go off-road and before getting back on road. I will check all the tires for rocks. I carry a small pick and will remove them before heading home.

Ford Bronco Rock throwing - Raptor 1678808945215

I have both but limited time in the Raptor. The Raptor came with 13 miles and has 130 miles currently and at the shop getting modifications. Just in the short period of time I drove the Raptor it was throwing rocks like the First Edition. So in my opinion I decided to upgrade the tires to 38x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers like I have on the FE.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As others have stated, Ceramic coating does absolutely nothing to protect the paint from rocks. Water spots maybe, but not rocks. Have the paint touched up and do a high end PPF wrap and most of your worries will be over.

However-- the word is PPF will not properly adhere to Ceramic coating.
I believe this is correct. I have a 20A 392 on order and was asking about ceramic and PPF. I decided I might ceramic it now since I won't be taking it off road for a few years. It was mentioned that if the ceramic is still there, it will have to be treated to remove it before ppf can be applied.

RYD003

Outer Banks
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Bronco OB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
i got my Bronco wrapped with PPF a week after i brought it home to protect against this.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

God forbid someone expect a tiny little bit of R&D for 85k.
God forbid someone research said vehicle and tires before dropping 85k on it. Just buy different tires.

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

For what it’s worth, I’m of the mentality that my car is going to get scratches and don’t intend to pay $6k to wrap it or $3k to replace brand new tires. The only damage I’ve gotten is a ~2” dent from a rock that was kicked up at the door, similar to what you got, and I don’t think PPF would’ve done anything to stop that, it only would’ve protected the paint. It cost $100 to have someone come to my house and do paintless dent repair. I plan to just get some mud flaps to stop the larger debris from slapping the doors and taking the advice of @Raptor911 above to dig out the larger rocks while my tires re-inflate.

Sponsored

TheLawnDart

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, Subaru Forrester, Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Should probably have specified it in the title/post but this is for the Raptor. The factory flaps don't stop much. Doesn't look like RokBlokz has Raptor flaps yet.
Here’s a link from the Raptor Forum with the RokBlokz for the raptor. No idea when they will be available but probably soon

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

1 - All tires throw rocks .. some throw more than others

2 - some manufacturers have "Stone Ejectors" to lessen the ability of rocks to embed itself into the tread. Nitto Grapplers employs this tech. See below.

3 - in life everything has a cost. I assume you are running the 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q? These tires are 81.48 pounds each which is 18.48 pounds heavier per corner. KO2s 37s are 63 pounds each. Also the Grapples are NOT snow rated BUT you are in Texas and Florida so this is not important to you.

4 - Also 37x12.50R17LT D 124Q are D rated where the KO2s are C rated. D rated are going to be a rougher ride. Most guys will compensate by reducing the PSI and when you do, you increase rolling resistance. So as a result, you have a tire that is 18.48 pounds heavier with less air for comfort that your engine is trying to push down the road.

5 - Grapplers in LT315/70R17 E 121/118Q are E rated and weigh 18.83 pounds more than the SAS Goodyear MTs.

This is what I do ... if I go off-road and before getting back on road. I will check all the tires for rocks. I carry a small pick and will remove them before heading home.

Ford Bronco Rock throwing - Raptor 1678808945215
Digging the rocks out was my go to move for the first 500 miles or so. My neighborhood has a really stupid gravel patch that is short yet unavoidable when leaving the neighborhood, and there's almost always a car behind me. It got too tedious to stop every time to dig out tires, let alone at 7am when it's 15 degrees out.

Definitely looking into the PPF and the other tire options, and appreciate the tips.

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Those RokBlokz are hideous. Rock spray would have to be unbearable to add those. Unfortunately, it sounds like OP is to that point.
Eh maybe not after looking closer. Agree they're ugly, the logo doesn't help.

But more importantly the gap here looks even wider than it is on the stock flaps where I think my latest rock slipped through.

May just have the ding fixed and PPF the lower half the doors and see what happens. Would hate to spend money to swap the tires and have the same issue.

Screenshot_20230314_160112_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Spoke to RokBlokz today:
We are actively working on the Bronco Raptor fitment, but we do not have an ETA at the moment.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with Rekgen XL mudflaps for my Wildtrak. I put them on before driving my Bronco off the lot after buying. A week later had full ceramic infused PPF Ceramic Pro Kavaca installed.

I park on a gravel driveway every day and no rock chips or rocks shooting everywhere. Just took off the hoop steps and added Zroadz sliders for added protection.