Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably should have bought an expedition or explorer. God forbid someone put less aggressive tires on their raptor.....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Change the tires the ones ford picked throw rocks. Did this on my first edition and same for the raptor.
Which did you go with for the raptor? any issues?

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Probably should have bought an expedition or explorer. God forbid someone put less aggressive tires on their raptor.....
God forbid someone expect a tiny little bit of R&D for 85k.

Krimzun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP/JEEP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There are other tire options with larger voids that tend to throw less rocks than the ATs that hold on to them. That said I have yet to own an off-road vehicle that didn't throw rocks and scratch the paint. First time you take it down some trails you're going to get scratches just have to get PPF or learn to live with it. I used to do car shows and keep my cars immaculate all the time I eventually got rid of the pavement princesses because of the constant worry. I'm so much happier now not worrying about scratches. If I ever get another muscle car it will be something that's driver quality so I can enjoy it and not stress about the minor dings from driving.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
what are you talking about Willis? OP has a Warthog which are on KO2s and NOT Goodyear Territory (Only on SAS Broncos)

Change the tires the ones ford picked throw rocks. Did this on my first edition and same for the raptor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Switch to Nitto Ridge grapplers. It cut down on rocks even over the KO2. I have PPF so I dont car but the Ridge Grapplers are more of a true 37 in size

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Definitely wish I had done the PPF over ceramic after the reviews on this post. Live and learn! I might have it buffed off and add the PPM but currently at the point where I'm not sure how much I feel like continuing to invest in it versus just letting it take its licks.

Definitely agree with you on the stress of keeping a nice car pristine. I had a Quadrifoglio before this and it was like driving on pins and needles every time I got behind the wheel. I planned to drive my original Badlands order like I stole it but when they upgraded me to the Raptor I knew I'd end up feeling this way about it.

First world problems! 😅

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As others have stated, Ceramic coating does absolutely nothing to protect the paint from rocks. Water spots maybe, but not rocks. Have the paint touched up and do a high end PPF wrap and most of your worries will be over.

However-- the word is PPF will not properly adhere to Ceramic coating.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you genuinely believe immunity from self inflicted rock chips or less noise from tires throwing rocks into wheel wells are reasonable elements of an R&D program for a vehicle with truly class leading, hard-core off road capabilities?

Have you seen the R&D that went into your chassis and suspension?

Sponsored

JetG

First Edition
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Macan Turbo w/PP & 2016 911 Turbo Vert
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

JetG

First Edition
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Macan Turbo w/PP & 2016 911 Turbo Vert
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
what are you talking about Willis? OP has a Warthog which are on KO2s and NOT Goodyear Territory (Only on SAS Broncos)

I have both but limited time in the Raptor. The Raptor came with 13 miles and has 130 miles currently and at the shop getting modifications. Just in the short period of time I drove the Raptor it was throwing rocks like the First Edition. So in my opinion I decided to upgrade the tires to 38x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers like I have on the FE.

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Do you genuinely believe immunity from self inflicted rock chips or less noise from tires throwing rocks into wheel wells are reasonable elements of an R&D program for a vehicle with truly class leading, hard-core off road capabilities?

Have you seen the R&D that went into your chassis and suspension?
Again- I don't disagree but by this logic why paint the car at all? If the intention was for the area behind the tires to look like someone hit it with a mace after 5k miles of just highway driving, why bother?

It's possible the regular Broncos don't throw rocks as aggressively. I'm not exaggerating when I say it sounds like a bucket of rocks exploding under the vehicle the minute you reach 45 mph or higher until it throws them all out, and that it's literally startling over blasting music- let alone when the radio is down and you're trying to have a conversation going down the road.

To me it looks like a design flaw with the mud flaps. 85% of rocks seem to hit the flares and side steps (which sounds like a small caliber gunshot), but apparently not quite all. They have a small gap opening from the body that seems to be where all the road spray goes, and now the rock chip as well- it follows the same arc as the road spray.

If they extended them down just a little or closed the gap between it and the body, it seems like it would prevent both the rocks flying into the paint at 70mph, but also the road spray from being angled right up the driver window.

Ad I stated- I don't expect the vehicle to never get a rock chip or a scratch. It's more so the day to day driving that I'm a little surprised causes significant enough damage.

OP
OP
Krieger

Krieger

Raptor
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As others have stated, Ceramic coating does absolutely nothing to protect the paint from rocks. Water spots maybe, but not rocks. Have the paint touched up and do a high end PPF wrap and most of your worries will be over.

However-- the word is PPF will not properly adhere to Ceramic coating.
Yeah it needs to be buffed off first. After paying for the coating I'm a bit torn now on how to proceed. Live and learn!

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I really don't notice the K02's on my Raptor throwing rocks much in day to day driving. That said, when getting back on road after several hours of trail riding it does throw a lot of rocks for a little bit. I have 11,000 miles on mine, no rock chips or scratches.

I had a complete XPEL 10 mil Clear PPF wrap on mine with less then 200 miles on it.
Sponsored