First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4dr Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be doing the same. I appreciate you posting this.
-KI5JWO

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big photo dump here. I wanted to put the radio itself in the cargo compartment, especially considering there is so little space in the passenger compartment. My plan is, once I get longer control and mic cables, to put the faceplate on the accessory spot and put the mic on the dash. So, down to photos and the massacree (went pretty well, actually).

Ford put in a grommet to run cables through the firewall - I punched a hole in it and ran the cable through the hole:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be8.jpg

Then I routed it behind the trim panel and into this nifty little wiring tray under the trim - the trim just pops right off, so it's super easy:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bea.jpg

XRcb4NYSR%ScGmE9aDjXrw_thumb_bec.jpg

Same for the back seats (you 2 door people, no idea how that will work):

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be7.jpg

Fished the cable up into the cargo bay:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_beb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be9.jpg

Then put all the trim back together:

bBDTMi4aTMeujGBA1eVvGg_thumb_bed.jpg

Ford's provided accessory posts on the battery terminal. M6-1.0 nuts fit. The Bronco toolkit that comes with the Bronco has a socket that will fit, so you don't even need to open your toolbox.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bee.jpg

I pretty much use Anderson Power Poles on everything:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf2.jpg

Watertight through hull for marine applications - I drilled a hole through the trim and installed the through hull:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf5.jpg

Connected the through hull to the cable going to the engine bay and clipped it so it won't come apart.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf3.jpg

Installed:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf4.jpg
Why don't I see an inline fuse at the battery terminal?? 🤷🏻

Edit: awww... In your 2nd post! 👍🏻

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice use of Anderson Powerpole Connectors, love it! That RIGrunner power distribution block is super cool, I think that may be a "shut up and take my money" situation for me. Now I'm gonna have to figure out what I need to buy to plug into it....

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice use of Anderson Powerpole Connectors, love it! That RIGrunner power distribution block is super cool, I think that may be a "shut up and take my money" situation for me. Now I'm gonna have to figure out what I need to buy to plug into it....
Over time, I've wound up putting power pole connectors on most of the things I use. I just put them inline with whatever originally came with it so I can just plug it into the Rigrunner or can use the original connectors if I need to move it to another vehicle.

For instance, my compressor came with alligator clips for the battery terminals. I cut the wires, put the power poles in the middle of it, and run it off of the Rigrunner under normal conditions, but if I take it with me in my wife's Lincoln, I can run it off the battery. It's super convenient to just be able to plug it in back there instead of popping the hood, especially since I carry the compressor in the cargo bay.

I use them in the shack, too, so I could take my FT817 or 857 out to the field, just plug it in the Rigrunner, throw an antenna up in the air and play on HF. Once that thing is in, all of a sudden, it becomes really useful.

That Rigrunner has two USB outlets, too, so I usually plug a rechargable flashlight into one of them. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why don't I see an inline fuse at the battery terminal?? 🤷🏻

Edit: awww... In your 2nd post! 👍🏻
Hehe, yeah, I didn't actually connect to the battery until after I'd run the wiring. I just posted up the photos in chronological order. That's a great point, though, for safety! It's fused with 40 Amp fuses on both the positive and negative at the battery, not that I'm ever likely to draw 40 Amps, but if it shorts out somewhere, those should pop.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hehe, yeah, I didn't actually connect to the battery until after I'd run the wiring. I just posted up the photos in chronological order. That's a great point, though, for safety! It's fused with 40 Amp fuses on both the positive and negative at the battery, not that I'm ever likely to draw 40 Amps, but if it shorts out somewhere, those should pop.
40A is good for that monster 4AWG(?) conductor...
Just be sure to appropriately fuse whatever components you bus off that lead as well! 👍🏻

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks nice. Another option for passing wires through is here. If you don't want to cut into your factory grommet, this OEM plug just pops out, then you can add your own grommet.

IMG_0881.jpg

Tents+Tread

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco - Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks nice. Another option for passing wires through is here. If you don't want to cut into your factory grommet, this OEM plug just pops out, then you can add your own grommet.

Ford Bronco Routing Power for Ham Radio IMG_0881
Sorry to Jack a thread but is there one of these plugs in passenger and driver side?

OP
OP
ChrisD

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

40A is good for that monster 4AWG(?) conductor...
Just be sure to appropriately fuse whatever components you bus off that lead as well! 👍🏻
Hehe, just saw this, but yeah. The power bus in the back is fused on all of the connectors, then each device is fused as well. Good advice! I put fuses everywhere.

Sponsored

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I saw a post where someone used one of these to mount the antenna with little to no modification.

Amazon.com: Hooke Road Wrangler CB Antenna Spare Tire Mount Compatible with Jeep JK Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited 2007-2018 : Automotive

Although I would really like to have it off to the side more. I see that Taraflex makes one that goes over the hinge, which I think would be ideal. Wonder if they are going to make one for the Bronco.

Amazon.com: Teraflex 4997192 JL: CB Antenna & Flag Whip Mount Bracket Kit : Electronics

Still waiting on mine to be built, yesterday was supposed to be the day according to the blend date. I will just keep waiting.

-Brian K3BDD

Stilbukn

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco, '13 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Although I would really like to have it off to the side more. I see that Taraflex makes one that goes over the hinge, which I think would be ideal. Wonder if they are going to make one for the Bronco.

Amazon.com: Teraflex 4997192 JL: CB Antenna & Flag Whip Mount Bracket Kit : Electronics

-Brian K3BDD
I contacted Tera Flex about making one for the Bronco and their response was we don’t plan on it. I asked for bolt hole measurements to see if I could modify it for my hinge on the Bronco. But it was too far off for me to feel comfortable ordering one to attempt modifications and be left with a weak mount because the mounting holes would have to be too close to the end of the bracket.

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I contacted Tera Flex about making one for the Bronco and their response was we don’t plan on it. I asked for bolt hole measurements to see if I could modify it for my hinge on the Bronco. But it was too far off for me to feel comfortable ordering one to attempt modifications and be left with a weak mount because the mounting holes would have to be too close to the end of the bracket.
Bummer but I did find this which is an exact fit.

Amazon.com: Hooke Road Wrangler JL CB Antenna Spare Tire Mount Bracket Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 : Automotive

Marv2608

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2011
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what size cable did you use?

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same compressor, I like your idea to put a connector in the middle of the wire, so you can wire it to the rig runner or direct to a battery, that's pretty nice
Sponsored