First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just checked out your build thread for your radios, and wanted to pick your brain really quick.

I just got my Amatuer GMRS license, and was a Radio Operator in the military, so I'm not a total beginner, but am not gonna get too serious about it and don't want to "grow" out of anything and have to upgrade later.

Can you recommend a GMRS radio for my Bronco? I hear mixed reviews about all the brands, and am just overwhelmed with features I may not need. Been thinking about the Midland 50w, but not decided one way or the other. I'd like to spend no more that $500 for everything if I can get something reliable. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco tax on this is pricey compared to mounts made for a JL which fit just as well.
I get it but most the ones for Jeeps didn’t work with the SAS tires without modification.
Plus I like giving my money to good ole boys from the mountains. 🍻

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked out your build thread for your radios, and wanted to pick your brain really quick.

I just got my Amatuer GMRS license, and was a Radio Operator in the military, so I'm not a total beginner, but am not gonna get too serious about it and don't want to "grow" out of anything and have to upgrade later.

Can you recommend a GMRS radio for my Bronco? I hear mixed reviews about all the brands, and am just overwhelmed with features I may not need. Been thinking about the Midland 50w, but not decided one way or the other. I'd like to spend no more that $500 for everything if I can get something reliable. Thanks in advance.
Well I've been a Ham since about '91, but I just started into GMRS with a couple of no-name handy-scratchy radios I got from Amazon, I think, so I'm probably not a good source for GMRS info.
Ask me for my Amateur Radio opinions tho, and you won't be able to shut me up!
I would advise you to do some research, and get something with a recognized brand name.
I know quite a few Amateur Radio peeps using Bow Wow Wow Fangs, AnyOldDamnTone and TYT radios, and they serve a purpose; being cheap.
Having said that, I saw a post here on B6G where a guy installed his Midland, and the next morning it went TU.
Your mileage will probably vary...

Mr Bacon Jr

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bison ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak