Sponsored

Running the Bead lock ring as a trim ring?

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got 1 of the 17-18 raptor bead lock rings. Since they come in 4 packs figured I would need a 5th if I did do it. Ill bolt it on the spare and see what I think.
Post a pic if you do! I've been interested in seeing this. My only concern was there being a noticeable gap around It.
Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I disagree with your thoughts Broncotrax. I believe that the percentage of beadlock rims used on Bronco's will closely mirror the percentage of beadlock rims used on Jeeps. There are many of us that intend on using the full capabilities of the Bronco, as it was designed. There will be a good percentage that are not just mall crawlers and will proudly show the dings and scratches that come with using the Bronco to its fullest...

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've already scratched my factory rings to hell. Skids as well. People will wheel these as well as mall crawling. Hell I see about 50/50 mall crawler to actual offroading in Jeeps around me. I don't see the Bronco being any different.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I disagree with your thoughts Broncotrax. I believe that the percentage of beadlock rims used on Bronco's will closely mirror the percentage of beadlock rims used on Jeeps. There are many of us that intend on using the full capabilities of the Bronco, as it was designed. There will be a good percentage that are not just mall crawlers and will proudly show the dings and scratches that come with using the Bronco to its fullest...
I'm not denying that at all but I have been wheeling for 30 years aired way down all of the time and never lost a bead so to say that someone actually NEEDS them is quite different. Look at Litebrite videos on 21 road in Colorado. This is what I mean. You are correct that there may be several people rollong on beadlocks but I'm saying 99% of the stuff they will be doing can be done sans beadlocks

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've already scratched my factory rings to hell. Skids as well. People will wheel these as well as mall crawling. Hell I see about 50/50 mall crawler to actual offroading in Jeeps around me. I don't see the Bronco being any different.
I have aftermarket wheels that are scratched to hell as well my skids are scratched to hell and back but none of this means you need beadlocks. I've never ran beadlocks. There is more to beadlocks than protecting the wheel its self. Consider the fact that once you "kit" them you are now NON DOT in most states.

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you assemble them as the designated beadlock they are non DOT approved in many states so this puts you in a "hard core" rock crawler group where you have two sets of tires/wheels. Also most people on this site will never be in a situation to actually NEED beadlocks because that severe wheeling takes a toll on a vehicle. Being brand new,.. I don't see this happening. Lastly if someone really wants/needs beadlocks. Go with the Icon wheels, they are lighter and DOT approved. When you see a hard core wheeler with true beadlocks it will likely be older and have rock rash, dents and such.
BS. Anybody that goes off road either needs bead locks or wishes they had them. Severe wheeling has nothing to do with it. Hit one rock the wrong way and you gotta flat tire. Go watch the TFL video where they got two flats on a non beadlock Land Rover

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BS. Anybody that goes off road either needs bead locks or wishes they had them. Severe wheeling has nothing to do with it. Hit one rock the wrong way and you gotta flat tire. Go watch the TFL video where they got two flats on a non beadlock Land Rover
LMAO that's no caused by not having a beadlock. That was the small sidewall tire pinched on a rock. It appears that you don't understand what a beadlock does.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LMAO that's no caused by not having a beadlock. That was the small sidewall tire pinched on a rock. It appears that you don't understand what a beadlock does.
The beadlock ring would have kept the tire on the wheel

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have aftermarket wheels that are scratched to hell as well my skids are scratched to hell and back but none of this means you need beadlocks. I've never ran beadlocks. There is more to beadlocks than protecting the wheel its self. Consider the fact that once you "kit" them you are now NON DOT in most states.
The whole non DOT thing is overblown. How many cops would even know what a beadlock is. Hell lifting your vehicle is illegal in a lot of states but doesn't stop anyone. Now I do agree that beadlocks are not "required" but it does give a little piece of mind if you plan to air down. Also allows you to air down to very low levels if you need that extra grip.

All that being said I probably won't do beadlocks myself because I don't plan on airing down past maybe 15-20psi. I have looked at the Icons for that piece of mind tho.

Sponsored

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't agree/disagree with anything yall are saying about beadlocks, no experience whatsoever here. But those were pinch flats if I remember right. Just having more sidewall would've saved them there.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The whole non DOT thing is overblown. How many cops would even know what a beadlock is. Hell lifting your vehicle is illegal in a lot of states but doesn't stop anyone. Now I do agree that beadlocks are not "required" but it does give a little piece of mind if you plan to air down. Also allows you to air down to very low levels if you need that extra grip.

All that being said I probably won't do beadlocks myself because I don't plan on airing down past maybe 15-20psi. I have looked at the Icons for that piece of mind tho.
The main thing to do is to retorque the bolts periodically, especially if you are doing high speed highway driving.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the TFL issues was the small sidewall IMO. Like sure if it was on beadlocks it probably wouldn't have happened, but if it was on some 17's and a meatier sidewall it wouldn't have happened either.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

12:00 plus a second puncture. Issue was clearly lack of sidewall. Beadlocks I doubt would have helped. The bead wasn't broken, so if they would have it would have been from acting like an extra bumper.
Sponsored

Last edited: