indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Living in the rust belt, it's the inside of a boxed frame that concerns me. (Like many my TJ frame rusted from the inside out.) I've since spayed it with Wool Wax (similar to Fluid Film). Might do same to my Bronco.
Sponsored

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another option to consider is cosmoline on the underbody. Maybe also for the box frame rails. It is relatively thick and may not self flow into pinch seams or tight locations. A less viscous cavity wax could be more appropriate for some areas.

In essence, these are waxes in a solvent that will firm up but stay soft after curing. Will have a longer service life than a lanolin application. Some formulations may include secondary anti-corrosion chemistry. This is not a rubberized type of undercoating.

Downside is that your vehicle will small like a box of Crayons for a week or two.

Last edited:

Discusman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Travis Bates
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve been using touch free car wash over a year to do underbody and then get the dust off before hand washing. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with my soft top

Vern0n

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d recommend looking into Krown

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep...not as many dealers, at least not in MI, but they are still there.
I had them (Ziebart) do inside a steel box frame boat trailer for me, and it lasted 20 years including salt water use. Nice stuff. I didnt think cars needed rust proofing anymore, but maybe if I was still in Upstate NY instead of SC, I'd think differently.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I go to a local place that uses wool wax. The owner does the application and is very thorough. He sprays inside rocker panels and everything. He recommends getting it redone yearly and if you bring back your receipt every year you get it at half the cost of the original application, which was around $290 for my bronco I believe. Its had plenty of washes and has seen some good off roading and the coating has remained with no surface rust that I can find. It's well worth the cost when the idiots in our cities and highway department love dumping as much salt as they can during winter.

Aliass24

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sprayed my f150 almost 6 years ago with Amsoil HD metal protector underneath used about 2 cans and still looks brand new and I’m in the northeast and have seen tons of road salts. Did the bronco a year ago and same thing.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was my 1995 Suburban that I sold in 2017. I kick myself for not keeping it and selling my TJ. It had Ziebart and respray every third year or so. This picture was from 2011, but it looked the same in 2017. Honest!! Like a dope I didn't take any pictures the day I sold it.

Ford Bronco Rust prevention in winter climates Suburban Mar 2011

Fridge

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-250,2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In my experience living in a climate that usually at least some snow for almost 6 months a year is that under coat and the active cathodic protection system from the dealership is absolutely magic. i had it done to my wife’s 2012 F-350 when we bought it new and my 2015 didn’t have it and the 12 didn’t have a spec of rust anywhere when we sold it to the dealership in 2022. My 2015 had rust that formed from paint chips around the fenders by 2020, both had the same wash regimen from new so I had the same done to my bronco. Time will tell now.
Sponsored