First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm debating getting my vehicle undercoated using NH Oil, risking the soft top in touch less car wash, or using something like a Ryobi water broom when the weather is above freezing (and especially during the spring).

Honestly, with most of my vehicles I usually just get the undercarriage sprayed in a car wash, but I don’t really know if the soft top can stand to get hammered every twoish weeks like that.

I’ve read the oil undercoating is not without some risk, but i’m trying to evaluate risk vs reward in this case.

For those of you in winter climates (and soft tops), what have you had the most success with?
Sponsored

GLOCK10MM

Raptor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2015 & 2004 2500 CUMMINGS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am absolutely following this ! Great topic (y)

YinzerSteve

Outer Banks
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Once I accept delivery I will be using Inox Lanox for the corrosives on the underbody, potentially the rims as well. It’s a pretty inexpensive spray. Using per recommendation of my buddy because we use salt on the roads here. As for the soft top. I wouldn’t know I will be stuck with a hardtop.

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm opting to drive my bronco as little as possible in the Michigan winter. I do keep all my vehicles in a heated shop. I have an undercarriage water broom used with my pressure washer to keep things as clean as possible. Had considered NH oil but holding off for now.

Chriswebber

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used Fluid Flim on mine last October and other then a few drips in the driveway and garage I have zero complaints. Also have a hard top .
Side note I used the new black version.

Sponsored

GOATS

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imaginary Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also had the new black (lanolin oil) fluid film applied. No complaints at all. The little bit that got on the random hot parts like the exhaust burned off quickly and cleanly. No drips in the driveway and has very little smell. I actually liked the little bit of temporary scent it had, kinda like a beeswax candle. It coats, penetrates and doesn't harden like the old rubber based undercoat that would trap moisture and promote rust/rot. It may need touch ups every 6 months/year/couple years depending on your driving habits.

The one negative I ever read about in this forum was one member that fouled a sensor above their gas tank (that was denied warranty I believe) by spraying the fluid film up the sides of the tank. I mentioned this to the shop that did the work and they said it wasn't necessary to get on top of the gas tank.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The only success I’ve had is not taking them out in the winter. With the liquid brine they used today, your basically screwed. You can wash til the cows come home, really won’t help IMO. Fluid film helps but doesn’t stop.

Charlesbrown165

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Dr Cosmo Blue
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every spring and fall I have climbed under my jeeps (now Bronco) and address any rust/corrosion with wire brush/rust dissolver …then coat with POR-15 and rattle can rustoleum. If you are diligent every 6 months you will get great results….not very expensive either…

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Ziebart, have for decades. Always had good results and great protection. I live in MI.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had my ‘97 Jeep Wrangler undercoated by a place in Midland, MI called Henderson Brothers Rustproofing. When I took it in, there was zero surface rust on the undercarriage and after two Michigan winters it looked like it did the day I took it there. Still had the grease pencil markings from the factory on the main beams of the frame. Sold the TJ to make room for our 6G. You should check out their site at that 👆 link. They’re very thorough. Not just undercarriage.

I’ve always heard that opting for an oil/film undercoating is better than sprays that harden. It’s a little messy for the first week or so, with some dripping to deal with. Drips are easily cleaned with a rag and WD40. Believe it or not, it helps to take a drive down a dusty (salt-free) road after the undercoating is applied, to help it “cure.”

Only real negative I noticed on the TJ is the mess when doing work under the vehicle. Talked to the guys at my local garage and they said it doesn’t really bother them while working on it because nothing seizes up with undercoating. Even if it’s a little messy to work on. I’m Planning to get Bronco done in a few weeks.

I’m sure if you’re in the Rust Belt, you’ll have a similar place near you. Here’s a photo I took of the original sign from back when they first opened. Still hanging in their shop. Prices might’ve gone up since then… 😉

Ford Bronco Rust prevention in winter climates IMG_3030

Sponsored

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Give it a good ceramic (or equivalent) before winter and drive it like normal. If really salty, self-serve wash and hose it off, especially underneath. If really bad, I’ll bring it to a detailer.

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had the fluid film done on my 2019 Ranger. The following spring I got the CEL light for the sensor above the gas tank. Got it fixed under warranty. I didn't go back the following year. I think I read ford changed the design of that sensor so it isn't so easily clogged. I paid $150 for the first treatment then he said you get 2 recoats for $50 each then back to full price for the next an so on. My friend paid $175 initial then $75 for his Ram 3500. I'm sure it's more now. I had the front doors tinted an a windshield visor done an it was $40 more than I paid 3 years ago on the ranger. My friend still went through car washes with the under spray turned on. I had it turned off in the winter on my pass when I had the film applied. I was thinking the film might fill all those little areas that gunk sits in an block the nasty from getting in. That effect might last a long time.

I might look at one of those ryobi water brooms since I have a heated garage with floor drains. I have hot water in there but I don't have a hose hookup for it, just on the utility sink.

I thought the law required car washes to recycle the water they use so there could be a percentage of salt in the water when you go through in the winter. I'm sure it's a lot better than not washing the vehicle though.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use Ziebart, have for decades. Always had good results and great protection. I live in MI.
I didn't know Ziebart still existed!

Spiniker

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm debating getting my vehicle undercoated using NH Oil, risking the soft top in touch less car wash, or using something like a Ryobi water broom when the weather is above freezing (and especially during the spring).

Honestly, with most of my vehicles I usually just get the undercarriage sprayed in a car wash, but I don’t really know if the soft top can stand to get hammered every twoish weeks like that.

I’ve read the oil undercoating is not without some risk, but i’m trying to evaluate risk vs reward in this case.

For those of you in winter climates (and soft tops), what have you had the most success with?
I have a 21 black diamond and used blasters surface sheild .it took 3 cans to do my 2 door. Ive been through rain,snow and its still on there and its over 2 years since applying. Also use a crevis hose from amazon for inside frame and rocker panels. For a review of surface sheild look at repair geek on you tube.

Gypsy

Badlands
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We live in Florida by the Ocean but we also travel North so we are also considering rust proofing our Bronco. We have a 2016 Jeep that was rust proofed and has held up well. Figured between the salt from the ocean and salty roads up north it probably would be a good idea. Now we just have to figure out what's best.
Sponsored