Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that you've seen how its mounted, do you think a shield of some sort could be bolted around it without causing it to overheat but still keeping it from getting thrashed with mud?
I think it would be somewhat simple to design a shield but not sure about the overheating aspect. Most of the mud accumulated in the back of the alternator which isn't easily accessible with or without a shield. So I'm not sure the best route to go as far as a shield. We will definitely be looking into some alternatives and solutions.
Sponsored

bstottlemyer85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - NonSas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The plan right now is to shoot a How To Video on removing the alternator for the 2.7. The only thing I wonder with the cleaned alternator is how long it will last. Not sure if I want to replace it yet or not. I guess I will have to decide which one to put back in when I do the removal video. Is anyone interested in seeing how long the cleaned alternator will last? Or should I just keep it as a spare? -Mitch
I vote see how long it last

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The plan right now is to shoot a How To Video on removing the alternator for the 2.7. The only thing I wonder with the cleaned alternator is how long it will last. Not sure if I want to replace it yet or not. I guess I will have to decide which one to put back in when I do the removal video. Is anyone interested in seeing how long the cleaned alternator will last? Or should I just keep it as a spare? -Mitch

How long it will last for sure! I forgot your YouTube situation...for someone like me, I just want it to work with no plans of ever taking it back out.

For you and your channel, waiting to see how long it lasts would be huge! :)

OP
OP
Wild Horses 4x4

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this is going to be a big write up that I'm hoping will answer most of the questions concerning the alternator situation. First up, we are currently working on a video of the removal and cleaning of the non-functioning alternator. Hopefully that will be up in a couple weeks. For those who aren't big on YouTube, this write up is for you.

Warranty?
To start, I went to work pulling the alternator out of the 2.7. The most popular question has been, was it covered by warranty? Unfortunately the dealership told me that because "the dirt would be hard to miss," it couldn't be warrantied. Some have asked for the name of the dealership but I'm not going to put them on blast. They were great in helping us secure our Broncos in 2021, and have had fairly great service since then.​
YQCZ93i0MCcghJG6FU6L7Zkpv-nfpQheHozeKxEz0IR0M6VEeQ.jpg

Once I decided to tackle this project, it took me a while to figure out how to pull the alternator (the main hangup being the fact that I spent probably 30 minutes looking for a tensioner.) On the 2.7, the alternator utilizes a "stretch belt." You need a special tool to remove. Once I got the alternator out, I spent the next couple hours guessing how to disassemble the alternator so I could clean it properly.

Check out the Bronco 2.7L Alternator mud and gunk:
6FjH19877Q9uCzdz2937o6HRcXaFICy-ErYyR976qns4UtbqwQ.jpg

The alternator disassembly went alright considering I had no idea what I was doing.​
Once I began putting it back together, I decided that even if this process did work, it was probably smart to carry a spare alternator. Brand new Ford alternators for the Bronco cost a whopping $700+ but I figured better to have it than to be left stranded again if the old alternator decided to quit at a random time.​
eioEDaJFRUclX66IyPryevXip22xVz0VYvmU_cGH4tRpHA4Wuw.jpg
y7auRRWTk-43unkeTda-IsixR1Xtial2RNE8F-vR3btrZrYQAQ.jpg

Once the alternator was put back together, I tried to get it tested at 4 different auto parts stores(Napa, Oreillys, Advanced, Auto Zone) all of which told me they could NOT test it because it wasn't in their system yet. A few shops tried getting crossover part numbers but none could land on a solid solution. To answer the question of a pick-n-pull type solution, from what I understand, there are no crossovers. Because the Bronco comes with AC power outlets and other electronic bells and whistles, it's slightly different from others out there. Not saying one of them couldn't work, but I wouldn't know which one to try or recommend to those wanting to go that route.

5ai7bzqf2t1FvMKEV02Gd-bnhjirOeAOjlwIngO252TcZEZNlw.jpg

Anyways, I was left with two solutions: I could hop on youtube and try to learn how to bench test the alternator myself, or I could stuff the cleaned alternator back in the Bronco and hope for the best. (The best being codes cleared and the charging system functioning properly). I decided to go with that latter for the sake of the video and I had the alternator bolted back up in under an hour. I started the rig up, turned on the volt gauge, went for a test drive and monitored the output closely. To my surprise, I was right where I should be (13.3-14.9 is what it was bouncing back and forth between).

2023_Ford_Bronco_cruise_Wild_Horses_4x4_47.JPG

As of right now, it seems like the process has worked!
I'm still a little wary as to whether or not this is the ultimate fix or if most people should just buy a new alternator & be done with it. If you do intend on trying this method should your alternator go out, we will be coming out with a couple how-to videos highlighting the process so definitely check out the YouTube channel and subscribe so you don't miss that. If you guys have any more questions, drop them below and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks for reading! Peace!​
- Mitch​
UPDATE: The video of the removal and cleaning of the non-functioning alternator. (Ford Bronco 2.7L)

TXLazer

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone been able to track down the length of time to get a replacement alternator? I have been waiting two weeks already.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wild Horses 4x4

Wild Horses 4x4

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long it will last for sure! I forgot your YouTube situation...for someone like me, I just want it to work with no plans of ever taking it back out.

For you and your channel, waiting to see how long it lasts would be huge! :)
Youtube video is up! I did leave it in the Bronco ... so far so good!
Sponsored