First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I know what you are saying BUT when I ran a 20 pound wheel on Raptor (see below) I could feel the difference. And the opposite is true ... increase the weight by 20+ pounds which many have done here, their MPG has gone down due to the increase weight .. so it does have an effect

Ford Bronco Sasquatch aftermarket wheel offset 1676581977177

Most of the rotational mass comes from the tire that weighs 59+ pounds and the mass of the wheels matters a lot less the closer the mass gets to the center of the wheel hub. Saving 12 pounds on the wheel when the wheel/tire/brake disc/hub/lug nuts have a combined mass of well over 100 lbs isnā€™t going to change much in handling or acceleration, especially on such a slow, high center of gravity vehicle that handles like crap relative to a sports car or sedan. Maybe on a a 911 Turbo itā€™s worth saving 10 pounds of wheel weight, not so much on a Bronco with 33ā€ or larger tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lcubed

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of the rotational mass comes from the tire that weighs 59+ pounds and the laws of physics dictate that the mass of the wheel matters a lot less because its mass is closer to the center of the wheel hub. Saving 12 pounds on the wheel when the wheel/tire/brake disc/hub/lug nuts have a combined mass of well over 100 lbs isnā€™t going to change much in handling or acceleration, especially on such a slow, high center of gravity vehicle that handles like crap relative to a sports car or sedan. Maybe on a a 911 Turbo itā€™s worth saving 10 pounds of wheel weight, not so much on a Bronco with 33ā€ or larger tires. Of course most 911 owners canā€™t drive them anywhere near their limits so a lighter wheel is likely wasted on them.
saving 11 lbs per wheel makes a big difference to me if i'm the one lifting the tire/rim combo onto the rear carrier

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know what you are saying BUT when I ran a 20 pound wheel on Raptor (see below) I could feel the difference. And the opposite is true ... increase the weight by 20+ pounds which many have done here, their MPG has gone down due to the increase weight .. so it does have an effect

1676581977177.png
Iā€™m pretty sure that fuel economy is not a high priority for the typical Bronco owner and it would likely take years to recoup the costs of the lighter wheels for the minuscule improvement in mpg.

I put expensive, lighter wheels on my Tesla Model S almost two years ago and the fuel economy declined because they made the aerodynamics/coefficient of drag worse. :) The handling did improve slightly but speed limits and other drivers limit my opportunity to test that.
Sponsored