Sponsored

Scammers & How to protect yourself when buying used bronco parts online (Facebook, forum, etc)

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wanted to start this thread because I see SO many scam posts on these buy/sell Facebook groups. Especially with the holidays coming up, protect your money, don’t fall for these scams. There haven’t been any posts regarding this topic so let’s make ones. Here are some trending patterns I see in these scam posts and please feel free to add anything.

I’m hoping to spread the word about these so that we can see less posts about “has anyone bought from this company, are they legit” etc

1. If they make a post and turn off commenting, it’s a scam. Period.

2. I’ve noticed a common pattern for scams is to say “inbox me”, or “PM if interested”, or “PM me”. Sure it seems harmless but when you think of it, when somebody posts something legit for sale, they don’t say that. They just make the post and it’s implied that you’ll message them if you’re interested.

3. “You’ll get that at xyz” or “message mikes auto salvage” or similar comments. Don’t try to buy from pages that have these vague general names. Another common one is “bronco parts for sale” or something similar. Don’t buy from these pages. They’re scams.

4. Scammers love to steal pictures from other legit “for sale” posts. It’s happened to me multiple times where they take my pictures and even copy any pasted my text from the post. That’s why it’s always good to ask for a picture that includes a piece of paper with the name written on it or some other way to prove legitimacy. It’s a rule in many of these online groups that you must include photos with your name and stuff. I’ll admit I forget to do it sometimes but if you just ask me to send you a pic like that I’ll do. I’m sure the same is with most real sellers.

5. To add to #4, vet the hell out of the seller. A real seller usually won’t mind asking a ton of questions, where as a scammer will be pushy and trying to get you to pay as soon as possible. Many times they’ll also offer to take half payment up front and the other half on delivery. Don’t fall for that. Another one is if you ask for a picture or video, I’ve seen them literally just screen record the original generic picture, and move it around a little bit to make it appear like they’re taking a video of the bumper in their garage for example

6. Many scammers want you to pay via Venmo, Cashapp, Apple Pay, Zelle, Paypal friends and family. Don’t agree to that unless you absolutely trust the seller or they’re right in front of you for the transaction. PayPal Goods and Services charges a small fee to the seller but it’s the only way that I know of that provided buyer and seller protection in the case of a fraudulent transaction.

7. Check out their profile. I know on Facebook sometimes for example, it might be a female profile but when you look at past posts it may say something like “change HIS profile picture”. I know it’s 2023 and we can’t assume anything but just be safe. Use your head and if your gut says don’t do it, don’t.

8. the top scams I’ve seen for bronco parts are hard tops, modular bumpers, and lights. Be careful buying these items specifically.

These are some of the things I’ve picked up on, mostly from Facebook, regarding scam posts. What are some other patterns you’ve seen for people to watch out for?
Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am an ADMIN of a FB group. The other thing I have seen besides your list is. "@XYZ" or Contact "XYZ".

I always look at the persons profile, to see what I can learn from it.

I will admit when I am selling on FB I hate the questions that are already answered in the AD. So I will give short answers, but never ask for money up front.