First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, another Bronco Parts account recently added me on IG over the weekend which included a lot of trusted followers of mine (FordBronco_parts...something), along with many other followers in the Bronco community.

I inquired about some side steps and made the mistake of sending him $200 for it via Zelle (should have used PP, the warning signs were there when PP couldn't verify accounts - I'll be drinking later to this). Not a lot of money but lesson learned as the entire convo was very skeptical and seemed off.

Ultimately, this is a first for me as I'm usually very keen on what's a scammer or not (I call them out and tell them to fuck off). What kind of gave it away as being supposedly legit, were my trusted followers and how they consistently posted with parts for sale, which I soon realized were ripped from other sellers. That's not saying much either, but I kind of fell for it while questioning the legitimacy of it.

Again, extremely stupid on my part, but again thankfully it wasn't much money. I guess that's the cost of my stupidity on this situation.

Don't make the same mistake I did! Be smart.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CM81

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
should never send money to someone you do not know. Always in person. I have sold stuff on FB market place and it's amazing how often people try to scam me. Cash only and in person.

OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
should never send money to someone you do not know. Always in person. I have sold stuff on FB market place and it's amazing how often people try to scam me. Cash only and in person.
Yup. 100% correct. Again, I fell for it thinking it was legit based local, Bronco followers too. I questioned it and the convo was off which started to give it away that it was a scam.

He got me. Never again. Could have been worse, so lesson fucking learned.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great advice for classifieds and local listing. Item and cash in hand (well, I also use Venmo, but only in person while they're actually handing me the item).

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup. 100% correct. Again, I fell for it thinking it was legit based local, Bronco followers too. I questioned it and the convo was off which started to give it away that it was a scam.

He got me. Never again. Could have been worse, so lesson fucking learned.
It happens, and like you said, it's not the end of the world with it being $200.
It sucks, absolutely, but good job owning it and giving everyone a reminder that we're all fallible and to be vigilant.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It happens, and like you said, it's not the end of the world with it being $200.
It sucks, absolutely, but good job owning it and giving everyone a reminder that we're all fallible and to be vigilant.
Thanks. That's the whole purpose of this post - owing up to my mistake and making sure no one else does so.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I had one use my photos from a listing of mine on FB Marketplace in one of their ads. Scummy people out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, I had one use my photos from a listing of mine on FB Marketplace in one of their adds. Scummy people out there.
That's stupid. Yeah, definitely scummy people out there.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. That's the whole purpose of this post - owing up to my mistake and making sure no one else does so.
The person who is wrong is the one who scammed you. Con artists and scammers rely on basic human nature and situational dynamics and behavior (execution mode) and work to convert oftentimes only a small number of marks who fit the params. There are even people who know they could be getting scammed, but still follow through due to some attachment that overrides that concern. For example, a con artist needs YOU to believe you'd never fall for a scam, not believe in THEM. It's mechanics more than magic how it works.

Be aware, but if you're the victim of a scam, know it happens to everyone (whether they admit it or not). Anyone who believes they can't be taken is themselves a certain type of mark (and there's a playbook to work that type).

OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The person who is wrong is the one who scammed you. Con artists and scammers rely on basic human nature and situational dynamics and behavior (execution mode) and work to convert oftentimes only a small number of marks who fit the params. There are even people who know they could be getting scammed, but still follow through due to some attachment that overrides that concern. For example, a con artist needs YOU to believe you'd never fall for a scam, not believe in THEM. It's mechanics more than magic how it works.

Be aware, but if you're the victim of a scam, know it happens to everyone (whether they admit it or not). Anyone who believes they can't be taken is themselves a certain type of mark (and there's a playbook to work that type).
Very well said! Especially the last part about being a victim and how it does happen to everyone.

Sponsored

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree about the in person transaction, but everyone should be cautious in that approach as well. Just make sure to meet up in a very public place, I think some Police stations are OK with using their parking lots.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
People suck. I put an FJ cruiser up on Autotrader online. I think I got 5 inquiries. All scammers.

I finally said screw it and just traded it into the dealer for my FE so I could get the tax credit since my state allows it.

I got scammed out of a Ryobi battery charger recently (way cheaper than it should have been, gave cc info online, website had the lock icon, but no confirmatory email). CC then started being used for a bunch of small charges including some roller coaster in Vegas. I think it was one of those CC ponzi kind of schemes where they keep charging CCs down the line for things.

Luckily my bank handled all of it and I didn't lose any money on it.

OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
People suck. I put an FJ cruiser up on Autotrader online. I think I got 5 inquiries. All scammers.

I finally said screw it and just traded it into the dealer for my FE so I could get the tax credit since my state allows it.
Oh wow. People do suck. Again, what kind of convinced me were the amount of followers, which included a few local guys and other accounts I follow on a regular basis - all Bronco owners. That's not saying much, but I still questioned the legitmacy of it and fell for it. First time and last.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The one guy that emailed me about my FJ said he was interested and even asked the 'right' kind of questions about it.

I told him the next step was for me to send him a bill of sale that both of us would sign. He then told me that would be difficult since he was on a humanitarian mission in some country like Turkey or something. He then said maybe we should just cancel the deal.

I was like "Yes, maybe we should just cancel the deal :rolleyes: "

OP
OP
DesertMike680

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The one guy that emailed me about my FJ said he was interested and even asked the 'right' kind of questions about it.

I told him the next step was for me to send him a bill of sale that both of us would sign. He then told me that would be difficult since he was on a humanitarian mission in some country like Turkey or something. He then said maybe we should just cancel the deal.

I was like "Yes, maybe we should just cancel the deal :rolleyes: "
Oh, I see. Yeah, the whole "out of country" bit was a giveaway I take it. Smart on your behalf though.
Sponsored