Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Have two vehicles. Mine and wife’s. FordPass is setup and working on each of our iPhones for our own vehicle. Now want to add her vehicle to my FordPass. App says requires her to allow it on her phone first. Ok..

But when she tries to click the Allow on her phone, FordPass throws an error stating it can’t complete, she must first enable device security.

any guesses????

I assume it means setting a pin on her phone (neither of us want this on our phones) but why should FordPass care? It works just fine without a pin for one vehicle. Why suddenly the demand for extra security just because I want to also access her vehicle?

or is it something else?
Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My wife and I do the same thing with our Ford pass and Broncos. We just both use mine since we add them both to my phone and then we just sign my account into her Ford Pass app. Honestly makes it easier instead of having 2 accounts

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I assume it means setting a pin on her phone (neither of us want this on our phones) but why should FordPass care? It works just fine without a pin for one vehicle. Why suddenly the demand for extra security just because I want to also access her vehicle?

or is it something else?
Did I read that correctly? Neither of you run PIN's to get into your phone? You are braver than I.

You don't have any bank or credit-card apps that require the PIN? Heck, I don't even want anyone looking at my email.

OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did I read that correctly? Neither of you run PIN's to get into your phone? You are braver than I.

You don't have any bank or credit-card apps that require the PIN? Heck, I don't even want anyone looking at my email.
If you were to look at my email, you’d realize why I don’t care if somebody were to look at my email :ROFLMAO:

My bank app has it’s own login/password. I do keep a credit card pic on it for emergencies that is not password protected, but it’s not my main card. And if my phone fell into nefarious hands, I’m not responsible for any fraudulent charges. So I’m willing to accept that risk on behalf of my bank.

Seriously though, if somebody stole my phone about the only hassle for me would be replacing the damn phone itself. HOLY COW - you seen the prices on iPhones these days??

That is a way bigger concern than somebody looking at vids of my granddaughter’s violin recital.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most people's phones are the second factor in 2FA. That can get you past password resets and into everything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Most people's phones are the second factor in 2FA. That can get you past password resets and into everything.
You could have a valid point there.

On my iPhone, if the screen is off and a text message arrives - it displays the text message without me having to “wake” the screen. Are you saying if I had a pin the phone would not display text messages while locked? Because if it still does, then anybody with possession of the phone could still read the 2FA code being text to me.

There’s probably a setting to turn this on/off, I’m sure. But is it off by default? Pretty sure friends phones who have PINs configured still get text messages on the lock screen. Also pretty sure they did not specifically go find that setting to turn on (these are non-techie kind of friends).

But, as I do not have a PIN, admit I’m ignorant about the default behavior for displaying text message banners on the lock screen. If it disables text messages on the lock screen by default, then your point is valid that no pin is a bigger risk these days due to 2FA.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You could have a valid point there.

On my iPhone, if the screen is off and a text message arrives - it displays the text message without me having to “wake” the screen. Are you saying if I had a pin the phone would not display text messages while locked? Because if it still does, then anybody with possession of the phone could still read the 2FA code being text to me.

There’s probably a setting to turn this on/off, I’m sure. But is it off by default? Pretty sure friends phones who have PINs configured still get text messages on the lock screen. Also pretty sure they did not specifically go find that setting to turn on (these are non-techie kind of friends).

But, as I do not have a PIN, admit I’m ignorant about the default behavior for displaying text message banners on the lock screen. If it disables text messages on the lock screen by default, then your point is valid that no pin is a bigger risk these days due to 2FA.
I'm a lifelong Android guy but I'm sure iPhones are similar. When my phone is locked I only get a notification that I have a text on the lock screen. If it's unlocked but still displaying the welcome screen (like when connected to a trusted Bluetooth device) I get a message preview that may show the one time key.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It would not have to be a PIN. You could turn on face unlock. On my phone. I use fingerprint to unlock.

OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good to know. I may reconsider.

Meanwhile - I guess I should update this thread with my resolution to the original question for any future searchers….

The problem was indeed that FordPass required her to have a PIN (or fingerprint or something) to unlock the phone before it would allow her to authorize me access to her Bronco. Odd that it does not require this to add a new vehicle in Ford Pass. Only to grant authorization for an existing vehicle to somebody else.

Anyway…our solution was simply to temporarily setup a PIN on her phone. Then click the “allow” button in the FordPass app (which now works). Then, after I completed adding her Bronco to FordPass on my phone and tested it - just turned the PIN back off on her phone.

Thankfully FordPass does not retroactively detect that the PIN is no longer on her phone and remove the authorization from my phone.
Sponsored