David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 2.7 auto, 24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

The snorkel can be opened to the front or rear. If opened to the front, at highway speeds, air is forced in. If opened to the rear, the turbo must suck air in. So would you gain power, or reduce the work of the turbo by opening the snorkel to the front?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my experience w/ snorkels on my old Land Rovers, a forward facing snorkel is the perfect catch-all for insects, debris (dust, leaves, etc.) and moisture.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Snorkels have essentially zero impact on performance (aside from increased drag). Flip it to the rear in raining/snowy/dusty areas.

OP
OP
t0xik3

t0xik3

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 2.7 auto, 24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Snorkels have essentially zero impact on performance (aside from increased drag). Flip it to the rear in raining/snowy/dusty areas.
if it has no impact on performance, should i just open it to the rear and leave it? Why would i ever want it open it to the front?

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had a snorkel on my PW for over a decade, I have it open to the front almost all the time. Facing reward it just looks weird to me. But then again the length of the snorkel itself down to the air box is pretty long and I make a point to clean it out often when driving often. As was said, it's direction will have absolutely no impact on performance at all.

Sponsored

Steve B

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22, 2 DR WT, 22 4 DR WT, 22 Mustang GT (Stock-ISH)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do your research before purchasing also. I have only seen one company that makes one that seals off the original air inlet. That being Mishimoto. The Airaid leaves the original inlet open. I don't plan on submerging my Bronco that deep, but I don.t see the point of a snorkel that doesn't close the lower air inlet.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I do not understand the usefulness..... I think, correct me if I am wrong here but, I am going to run into fording (water) issues with my alternator long before I start sucking water into my air intake. Maybe not but that alternator is dramatically lower than my intake.

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to deal with the axle vent tubes before worrying about a snorkel.. if water is up to the air box, my axles were drowning long ago

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do not understand the usefulness..... I think, correct me if I am wrong here but, I am going to run into fording (water) issues with my alternator long before I start sucking water into my air intake. Maybe not but that alternator is dramatically lower than my intake.
water isnt necessarily a killer of the alternator. its the dirt/mud/debris

Sponsored

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Too small and many bends to act like a ram air. Keep it turned to the back to prevent debris from getting pushed in.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

water isnt necessarily a killer of the alternator. its the dirt/mud/debris
Yes but water is a conductor (at least non pure water).... That usually does not bode well for non water tight electrical devices.

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes but water is a conductor (at least non pure water).... That usually does not bode well for non water tight electrical devices.
the diode bridge and most of the important internals are sealed. still a non-issue.

Now rust/corrosion/etc could eventually wear on it, but simply submerging the alternator in halfway clean (not pure mud) water wont affect its performance.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

the diode bridge and most of the important internals are sealed. still a non-issue.

Now rust/corrosion/etc could eventually wear on it, but simply submerging the alternator in halfway clean (not pure mud) water wont affect its performance.
Your mud and debries will effect the bearings and mechanical operation.... The water (all it needs is suspended metals and salts like every ounce found in the wild, to conduct electricity. The stator is coated, and as you suggest the diodes are coated. but many of the exterior connections are not water proof. Water resistant yes. But not water proof. The slightest defect in any of that coating and well.... but the exterior wiring does not have that coating....

turbo_jimbo

Wildtrak
First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr wildtrak, zl1 1le, navigator, other stuff
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since we don’t get much rain out here, water fording is not the primary concern for adding a snorkel. Dust and debris are. The snorkel allows a higher point to draw cleaner air from.

That said, snorkel manufactures have yet to design one for us that doesn’t look stupid facing the rear or just look stupid in general.
Sponsored