MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do not understand the usefulness..... I think, correct me if I am wrong here but, I am going to run into fording (water) issues with my alternator long before I start sucking water into my air intake. Maybe not but that alternator is dramatically lower than my intake.
The intake is right below hood level, Way above what Ford considers the safe fording depth, the snorkel on the Bronco is basicly there for looks. The alternator on both the both the 4 and 6 are at the bottom of the engine and are well below the "safe fording depth".

OP
OP
t0xik3

t0xik3

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 2.7 auto, 24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do not understand the usefulness..... I think, correct me if I am wrong here but, I am going to run into fording (water) issues with my alternator long before I start sucking water into my air intake. Maybe not but that alternator is dramatically lower than my intake.
At the Bronco Off-Roadeo they emphasized that the snorkel is NOT for fording water, it is to reduce dust being sucked in. (Turning it rearward might be the best position for that. If you are familiar with Ewan MacGregors 'Long Way Down' documentary, you'll see what happens in a dust storm when the snorkel on their Nisson Patrol is turned forward....spoiler alert, it fills that air cleaner with sand)
At the Bronco Off-Roadeo they said that you are good to ford water/muddy water:) as deep as the top of the bumper, after that electrical stuff (like the alternator) can or will be damaged by water or muddy water.

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
At the Bronco Off-Roadeo they emphasized that the snorkel is NOT for fording water, it is to reduce dust being sucked in. (Turning it rearward might be the best position for that. If you are familiar with Ewan MacGregors 'Long Way Down' documentary, you'll see what happens in a dust storm when the snorkel on their Nisson Patrol is turned forward....spoiler alert, it fills that air cleaner with sand)
At the Bronco Off-Roadeo they said that you are good to ford water/muddy water:) as deep as the top of the bumper, after that electrical stuff (like the alternator) can or will be damaged by water or muddy water.
You didn't happen to ask them why their "desert runners" (Wildtrak, Braptor, Raptor), don't come with snorkels, and why it would be only available in the high water fording trim?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Oly confirms my thoughts... Thank you. I have been there on the dusty trail. Never experienced anything like MacGregor but I understand the issue. Not convinced that a snorkel is going to fair a lot better than a high quality filter in the stock location... Interesting that Ford chose to place on on the everglades. I would not think that an air intake trying to rise above the dust would be much use in the everglades... but others would know better than I would. I know the rocky mountains and some high desert.... Dust we get, but not like some places.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You didn't happen to ask them why their "desert runners" (Wildtrak, Braptor, Raptor), don't come with snorkels, and why it would be only available in the high water fording trim?
I didn't ask and don't know why the 'desert runners' don't come with snorkels. Maybe they assume they will be out in front and in clean air:)

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do your research before purchasing also. I have only seen one company that makes one that seals off the original air inlet. That being Mishimoto. The Airaid leaves the original inlet open. I don't plan on submerging my Bronco that deep, but I don.t see the point of a snorkel that doesn't close the lower air inlet.
OP's is talking about the snorkel on their Everglades.

Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The simpler solution for dust and such is a pre filter. Pop it off and wash it every time you wash the vehicle. Cheaper and you don't have to hack a hole in your fender. If you've ever notice how dust and debris sticks to the back of a flat surface like the rear window you will recognize why dust and such will still get sucked in. The reason a lot of older race cars had a flat rear was the you'd get push as the air collapses to fill the low pressure area. Anyone that had an old single cab truck with a rear window can tell you about weird stuff that why fly out of the bed and into the cab.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It literally says the snorkel is for crossing waterways! Not a lot of dust in the Everglades! https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...rglades-snorkel-chicago-auto-show/6704608001/
Yep, that's what it says for the everglades:
"Deep wading, also known as fording, requires a snorkel that reaches above the water surface for air supply. Design changes on the Bronco Everglades allow for wading in water 36.4 inches deep and offers enhanced vehicle protection."

My non-sas BD is about 28" to the top of the bumper. I'm guessing 36.4" is probably 2-4" above the bumper on a sasquatch. Still not 'hood depth' water fording:)

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The “Ram Air Effect” of a forward facing snorkel is indeed a real thing. But not until you get up to around 287 MPH.

But seriously - I don’t know how fast you’d have to go to force enough air down that tube to add any boost of any value. But I do know it’s orders of magnitude faster than your vehicle can achieve.

I’m reminded of those “electric fan super chargers” they used to sell on eBay 20 years ago. Sure. Sounds logical. Flip a switch and a 12v fan starts pushing massive amounts of air down the throat of your intake. The vehicle instantly launches forward. You’re thrown back in your seat. The skin on your face is pulled back like you’re in a centrifuge.

But the reality is….there’s just no way a 12v fan can push enough air to make any measurable difference. The reality of snorkel super chargers is the same.

I’ve got my snorkel rigged in the rearward direction to reduce dust/sticks/bugs/rain introduction. But be aware that if you’re noise sensitive (as so many on this forum seem to be) that sucking sound you hear might just annoy the sh!t out of you.
Sponsored