Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the dual top option ordered with the MOD top so I can pull rear windows....but after seeing the new video of how easily the soft top works, and driving around today, I'm wondering if I want to go to the trouble of switching tops twice a year. I'm in Chicagoland, and for 5 months we won't have a top down! But just beginning to think I don't need the MOD top...yes, it would be quieter when it's on (5 months), warmer (for 5 months) and probably a bit better against winter elements (but I have a garage!)...

What am I missing?

This thread is not about cupholders.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the dual top option ordered with the MOD top so I can pull rear windows....but after seeing the new video of how easily the soft top works, and driving around today, I'm wondering if I want to go to the trouble of switching tops twice a year. I'm in Chicagoland, and for 5 months we won't have a top down! But just beginning to think I don't need the MOD top...yes, it would be quieter when it's on (5 months) and probably a bit better against winter elements (but I have a garage!)...

What am I missing?

Personally I dont like the look of the soft top. I will roll with MIC when too hot (I am in FL), doors and top off when its nice out. Mesh Bimminie (SP?) when nice but chance of rain.

For the heat in FL I would hate only having a soft top. I would imagine I would equally hate having a soft top in Chicago's wind/cold.

Go White Sox!

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Roof rack.

If you don't need one then maybe you don't need a hard top.

Hard tops are also quieter and last longer.

I loved the ease and convince of my soft tops but they have their draw backs.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have no use for the soft top. I'm going to want the hardtop for Colorado winters. For the other 3 seasons, the roof panels/doors coming off will suffice. The major exception would be trips to Moab, where I can put the top/doors in the AirBNB garage for the duration of my stay.

ResidualGenius

Wildtrak
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have no use for the soft top. I'm going to want the hardtop for Colorado winters. For the other 3 seasons, the roof panels/doors coming off will suffice. The major exception would be trips to Moab, where I can put the top/doors in the AirBNB garage for the duration of my stay.
Exact same thoughts here for CO too. Plus then I lose the rack and no back wiper/washer

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As noted, the rear wiper attachments, plus the security of having a hard top if you are parked somewhere and don't want your top sliced open.

I'm going with the MIC top, and then hoping for the TrekTop Ultra to come out for bronco for a multi-position fastback summer top

TonyWonder

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the dual top option ordered with the MOD top so I can pull rear windows....but after seeing the new video of how easily the soft top works, and driving around today, I'm wondering if I want to go to the trouble of switching tops twice a year. I'm in Chicagoland, and for 5 months we won't have a top down! But just beginning to think I don't need the MOD top...yes, it would be quieter when it's on (5 months) and probably a bit better against winter elements (but I have a garage!)...

What am I missing?

I was just here for the cupholders. I'll see my way out.

For real though. I am going soft top only. I know I won't get the hook ups for the rear wiper and blah blah blah, but I just don't want to store a hard top some where half the year.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you want a roof rack (like I do?)? If so gonna need a hardtop.

Also, driving in the winter there isn't a defroster back there and I wouldn't want to scrape a snow brush when it is below freezing on those plastic rear windows.

Plus, the videos I have seen requires a prop rod to hold the rear shell of the softtop up. I have so much stuff I put in there camping I would be sick of that.

I am really hoping for some waterproof bikimi top (is that the term?!) to place over the front and rear seats and rear cargo area. I want to take the top off of the hardtop but can't expect the wife to help me each day it is nice out.

Sponsored

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am getting the 4-door with just the soft top. I am in the Phila area so somewhat similar winter/summer environment. I have had jeeps with hard tops and just a soft top. First, I never found the noise level with the soft top only to be that bad (and it was an older Jeep and top) and I assume the newer tops are better at sound control. Temps in the winter were never a problem and again I assume the newer tops are better at that. So it’s soft top only for me.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't need a hard top.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What am I missing?

I’m in NC and have dual tops for my JKUR. My soft top is a two season top: spring and fall. From an insulation standpoint you’ll probably want the hard top in the summer heat and winter cold.

Also, for road trips the soft top can be noisy, so even in the spring or fall I put the hard top back on for a more comfortable / a less wearing drive.

As for the mod top specifically: the more panels the more potential weather and wind leaks in my view. Unless you want the painted look, the MIC is probably more practical.

If the two door came in dual top, I would get it. The other difference on the two door is thinking about the ability to remove the rear windows on the mod top for rear seat passenger comfort.