seajayseven

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Was cruising along the highway at what some might say is fast for a bronco into a bit of a head wind when we had what I think was a bit of a soft top separation. Out of nowhere an extremely loud deep thrum or harmonic vibration from the soft top. Didn’t see anything unusual from the inside and it stopped as we slowed down. Very startling. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never had this even well above the speed limit. Have you checked the latch in the middle of the soft top? Clips and seal of velcro around the rear windows?

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had some nasty crosswinds on the highway give what I would describe as a soft top separation. It happens. Part of life with a soft top.

OP
OP

seajayseven

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Going to give it a hard look tomorrow in the light of day. The sound was hard to convey. Extremely loud and with a vibration you could feel. No flapping.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Were you behind a semi truck by chance? I've experienced some odd wind buffeting behaviors with my top behind large vehicles.

Sponsored
OP
OP

seajayseven

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clean air. Definitely speed plus headwind.

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where specifically was the sound coming from?

I would put the soft top down and back up just to make sure all of the locking points are secured and also inspect those areas.

OP
OP

seajayseven

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We couldn’t identify the origin as it happened. The sound was everywhere. Filled the whole cabin. But it continued as we slowed down well past (10-15 mph slower) than when it started.
I’ve had the truck at a higher sustained speed than we were going today with no noise. The headwind today was probably 15 -20 sometimes.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s just a vacuum created occasionally at high speed where the fabric stretches up and then pops down hard. I have built what I think is a simple fix to soft top flop, even at slower speeds when you get some fabric flop. So far so good also makes the top quieter as well. Contemplating posting solution as i had thought about developing a commercial version. I think the new top design for some newer MY23’s may be Ford’s first attempt to limit soft top flutter. Be interested in how well it does over time and if it is indeed quieter. My guess is it will be based on how I saw it was seamed on the edge and was told foam was underneath the sides.

Roll Tide!

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Door Carbonized Gray Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Was cruising along the highway at what some might say is fast for a bronco into a bit of a head wind when we had what I think was a bit of a soft top separation. Out of nowhere an extremely loud deep thrum or harmonic vibration from the soft top. Didn’t see anything unusual from the inside and it stopped as we slowed down. Very startling. Anyone else experience this?
I’ve had this happen when I was running my soft top on my Jeep. Didn’t happen often but when it did it was startling.
Sponsored