Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, pathfinder, altima (miss my F150)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Short story long I'm driving my basesqautch to work tomorrow because we're about to get hit hard with snow and ice and I want the 4x4 to get home. Long drive. I work a 24 hr shift. I have cheap car cover, should I put that over the Bronco to help protect it from ice forming on the top or do you think it'll freeze to the top making my problems worse?
Sponsored

BRONCBOY21

Base
First Name
Ayres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Short story long I'm driving my basesqautch to work tomorrow because we're about to get hit hard with snow and ice and I want the 4x4 to get home. Long drive. I work a 24 hr shift. I have cheap car cover, should I put that over the Bronco to help protect it from ice forming on the top or do you think it'll freeze to the top making my problems worse?
I think the car cover shouldn't hurt anything if you secure it down well enough and i would only do that if you are really worried about it I'm up just north of you in Michigan kind of getting the same storm but I'm parked outside with my softop and i haven't had any problems yet this winter but i have seen some posts showing some issues.

OP
OP
Rhino67

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the car cover shouldn't hurt anything if you secure it down well enough and i would only do that if you are really worried about it I'm up just north of you in Michigan kind of getting the same storm but I'm parked outside with my softop and i haven't had any problems yet this winter but i have seen some posts showing some issues.
I'm not really worried about anything getting in. More with the ice having all the windows freezing locked up. Thankfully it does have app to auto start. It's garage kept so I haven't had any experience with how quick itll thaw

OP
OP
Rhino67

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha, it's already crossed my mind
I'm in southern IN and going to get blasted tonight too. We live in a old home with no garage so wife gets the carport because I'm chivalrous like that. I'm about 75% sure this is the exact thing I'm going to do tonight before I got to bed and the ice starts flying. If the windows had frames around them and I wasn't worried about everything freezing from the rain coming down right now, I wouldn't care but that's not the case.

Moyer22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had my soft top Jeep through many winters and while I'm not sure if the materials are the same as the Bronco I wouldn't worry too much. I would just get the snow off with a brush and give it plenty of time to warm up and melt the ice. Don't try to chip ice off or scrape the soft top - that can damage it so just let it melt. Kind of a pain to wait for it but my 2012 Jeep heater gets it toasty pretty quickly and I would imagine a brand new vehicle would be the same or better. I'm not sure about putting a cover on so that might not be a bad idea but I don't think it's necessary if you don't feel like dealing with it. Stay safe!

OP
OP
Rhino67

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm in southern IN and going to get blasted tonight too. We live in a old home with no garage so wife gets the carport because I'm chivalrous like that. I'm about 75% sure this is the exact thing I'm going to do tonight before I got to bed and the ice starts flying. If the windows had frames around them and I wasn't worried about everything freezing from the rain coming down right now, I wouldn't care but that's not the case.
Lmao at the car port. Yeah it's the same storm I'm in Ohio raining right now as well.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Soft top ice and snow storm advice? 1643823622942

OP
OP
Rhino67

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had my soft top Jeep through many winters and while I'm not sure if the materials are the same as the Bronco I wouldn't worry too much. I would just get the snow off with a brush and give it plenty of time to warm up and melt the ice. Don't try to chip ice off or scrape the soft top - that can damage it so just let it melt. Kind of a pain to wait for it but my 2012 Jeep heater gets it toasty pretty quickly and I would imagine a brand new vehicle would be the same or better. I'm not sure about putting a cover on so that might not be a bad idea but I don't think it's necessary if you don't feel like dealing with it. Stay safe!
I appreciate the advice. I love the no window frames except in this situation lol.

Sponsored

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't do a thing, my man, other than drive it to work, park it, and drive it home. If you're worried about the windows icing over, remote start it and leave the heat on for awhile. I wouldn't think twice about just leaving it out there and walking out to it cold, and driving home, if I need to to, though.

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unless we get absolutely DUMPED on with snow, just be careful cleaning it off. Don’t scrape, just brush. Avoid touching the plastic windows. Had a 98 Miata soft top that I daily’d for a winter in Cleveland. Heater is your best friend.

OP
OP
Rhino67

Rhino67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate all the advice guys!

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have had a little snow get in during the last storm not a huge deal at all and all the wind made it so I didn't need to brush off the snow even with the 18 inches we got here. ull be fine my issue would be with getting ice on the windows mine don't always go down I feel I may break one at some point. so i would watch for that if u have auto start just give it at least 15 minutes and u will be fine

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For ice storms, I've always put a tarp over the windshield and the glass of the front doors (as much as I can). Use bungees around the mirrors and maybe a couple more to keep it in place. Much easier to get going when you don't have to de-ice your windshield and wipers. This approach applies to any vehicle.

Just make sure you use something water proof so that freezing rain or melt water doesn't soak through and freeze your cover to your vehicle.
Sponsored