Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes it is a soft top. I am looking to make a bracket that mounts to the bracket for the hard top. It’s kind of a perfect placement. Far enough forward that you get light in the front seat without blinding you and enough in the back to light up the rear seating area. I would just like a cleaner look so will be making a bracket to make it look more factory. If I can take a look at a hard top to see how it mounts I can maybe design it to clip on the bottom and clear any hardware that the hard top has. I’ve never really looked at how they are when the panels are installed.

I’m really impressed with these lights for $50. Thanks again to the OP. I had bought some cheaper marine leds. I think it was a 6 pack for less then $20. But these are much nicer and way brighter. I love having th controller to adjust the color temp and brightness.
And my kids love the mic that makes it into a disco!
yea I got the 6 pack of these for $44

I too had originally bought the white boat lights but I wanted a red option

the issue with the hard top is the place where the top clips in.

would photos from my hard top be enough to try a bracket?
Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

looks like you are blocking your airbags. You dont want those lights shooting at you in an accident. looks like you screwed them too. I would check for damage to the airbag.
So, I’m using 3m tape I didn’t want to drill.

from what we all know the airbags fire DOWNWARD

that being said I’m looking for an alternate spot for these front ones just for 100% peace of mind.

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Could you guys share how you accessed the rear quarter panel to wire the rock lights. I have tried to watch a few videos on it but I never see how you access the prewire (and how hard it is to put everything back together). I don't want to go screwing things up. That glovebox wire is so easy but the location sucks for running lights. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could you guys share how you accessed the rear quarter panel to wire the rock lights. I have tried to watch a few videos on it but I never see how you access the prewire (and how hard it is to put everything back together). I don't want to go screwing things up. That glovebox wire is so easy but the location sucks for running lights. Thanks!!
The rear passenger quarter panel interior molding and rollbar covers are held in place with body clips. You just need to gently pry open the panels and they will pop off.

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The rear passenger quarter panel interior molding and rollbar covers are held in place with body clips. You just need to gently pry open the panels and they will pop off.
Oh really? I watched some video about how it was a ton of work to access those wires. Bolts, etc. So you just removed it to wire the unit and then ran the light wires under the rollbar covers? If you have any extra pictures of the wiring of the actual unit it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having been unhappy with the interior lighting of the Bronco, I upgrade the interior lighting using Govee LED under lighting kit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0969PDDP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and wired it to Aux 6 Switch. The default setting is white but it can also be set to any color or sync with music( I will never use that feature, but is there for those who want a disco Bronco). I couldn't be happier with the results, its like daytime in the car when I turn them on. I can also dim the lights using the Govee app but for the most part I never have the need to open the app. The default white full on works for my purposes. Hard to beat for $50 in parts and a little sweat equity.

The whole process took be about an hour an half to wire. I used the Aux 6 switch and wired it to the rear white/orange aux wire in the passenger side rear. I had to remove both covers of the air roof air bags to fish the wire along the roll cage (yes, made sure to secure the wire to not interfere with the opening of the air bags) to the rear cover of the roll cage. The covers are the only trim pieces secured with bolts. The rest of the top trim and side trims are all held in place with body clips. I pulled down the rear roll bar trim piece to store the LED driver/Control and fished a wire down the passenger side pillar to tie into the Orange/white aux wire. I stuck the lights on above the airbags on the soft top front brackets using 60lb double sided tape and the rear lights on the rear roll bar just behind the passenger seats. The install is clean and you hardly notice the lights until they are on.
20220217_191934.jpg
20220217_192003.jpg
20220217_192401.jpg
20220217_192640.jpg
20220217_192648.jpg
20220217_192440.jpg
20220217_192501.jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-21 205236.jpg
Where and how did you ground the black wire? Thanks!

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where and how did you ground the black wire? Thanks!
You ground it to the body of the truck in the rear compartment. Just find a bolt and secure the ground in that location.

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You ground it to the body of the truck in the rear compartment. Just find a bolt and secure the ground in that location.
Bear with me, I am not electronically inclined but didn't you say you have the controller in the roll bar? The black wire is very short off of the controller. Wouldn't you have to ground it there?

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bear with me, I am not electronically inclined but didn't you say you have the controller in the roll bar? The black wire is very short off of the controller. Wouldn't you have to ground it there?
You can ground it anywhere on the body or frame. I extend the ground wire so I could use an existing bolt into the body.

fwade4

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So you have the hot wire going to the controller in the roll bar and then an extended ground wire going out of the roll bar to the trunk?

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you have the hot wire going to the controller in the roll bar and then an extended ground wire going out of the roll bar to the trunk?
The hot wire is connected to the upfitter wire in the passenger side rear fender and grounded in the same location on the body at an existing bolt. I fed a 2 conductor wire up to the controller located in the roll bar cover and spliced the hot and ground wire to the controller.
Sponsored