First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having been unhappy with the interior lighting of the Bronco, I upgrade the interior lighting using Govee LED under lighting kit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0969PDDP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and wired it to Aux 6 Switch. The default setting is white but it can also be set to any color or sync with music( I will never use that feature, but is there for those who want a disco Bronco). I couldn't be happier with the results, its like daytime in the car when I turn them on. I can also dim the lights using the Govee app but for the most part I never have the need to open the app. The default white full on works for my purposes. Hard to beat for $50 in parts and a little sweat equity.

The whole process took be about an hour an half to wire. I used the Aux 6 switch and wired it to the rear white/orange aux wire in the passenger side rear. I had to remove both covers of the air roof air bags to fish the wire along the roll cage (yes, made sure to secure the wire to not interfere with the opening of the air bags) to the rear cover of the roll cage. The covers are the only trim pieces secured with bolts. The rest of the top trim and side trims are all held in place with body clips. I pulled down the rear roll bar trim piece to store the LED driver/Control and fished a wire down the passenger side pillar to tie into the Orange/white aux wire. I stuck the lights on above the airbags on the soft top front brackets using 60lb double sided tape and the rear lights on the rear roll bar just behind the passenger seats. The install is clean and you hardly notice the lights until they are on.
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_191934
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192003
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192401
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192640
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192648
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192440
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade 20220217_192501
Ford Bronco Soft Top Interior Lighting Upgrade Screenshot 2022-02-21 205236
Sponsored

Last edited:

dclark127

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like this idea - especially how bright they are! Do you think these could be tied into the current interior lights so they will come on and off at the same time?

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like this idea - especially how bright they are! Do you think these could be tied into the current interior lights so they will come on and off at the same time?
I guess it would be possible, not sure what the the interior lights are rated for amp draw. I would think you could tap into the line at the rear of the roll bar assuming you don't over load the circuit.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a nice setup. I have been looking for options for adding additional dome lighting, but never considered Rock lights. The fact that they are (should be) weatherproof is a big bonus. I will be shopping for something similar!

I've been in a couple threads discussing this subject. In order to get the dimming capability, modern cars use a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) circuit. This basically turns the bulbs/leds on and off quickly and at different intervals to get the desired brightness.

The consensus is that adding to these circuits is difficult or impossible. I don't like that answer, and have heard that adding the right capacitor can help... But still haven't seen any success stories on any other forums, yet. I want any aux lighting to dim the same and be timed with the OEM domes.

Adding a relay to power a separate lighting circuit from the domes is possible, but would still need a capacitor to smooth out the pulses. Otherwise you might have noise from the relay... And I imagine potential problems.

Last edited:

Dad23Fords

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bought these last night before Amazon runs out.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nice job! I have done something similar with a few different products, but I dont want it wired to upfitter switch! Unfortunately thats the only option for now until we get some vendor help to integrate into the Ford PWM lighting circuit. I've reached out to a few.

22B24E9D-3F9C-42E6-907D-64FB31786462.jpeg

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great work. I've thought about rock lights too. awesome you made it work!!!!

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The thing I don't like about those lights is their color temperature. And hey are so hard, they throw hard shadows. I prefer a more diffused natural looking light. But aftermarket lights, hard top or soft, are a must.

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The thing I don't like about those lights is their color temperature. And hey are so hard, they throw hard shadows. I prefer a more diffused natural looking light. But aftermarket lights, hard top or soft, are a must.
These lights are RGBW so you can set the color temp to whatever you want. Additionally they can be dimmed to a lower level if desired.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These lights are RGBW so you can set the color temp to whatever you want. Additionally they can be dimmed to a lower level if desired.
I like the install....I just installed some white LED's to my Aux 4 switches and did almost exact wiring like you....hid the wires behind the airbag trim for a clean look.....BUT, one thing I was thinking of is it would be nice to have a RED color option for "night friendly" vision.....my question these is how do you change the color, and do the lights remember the last color setting when you turn them off and then back on?

If so, I'd consider changing out my lights.....since I have the wiring in place already now.

Sponsored

Pugsly

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very nice. What about if you remove the top or fold it back do the two you mounted on the frame have to be removed?

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the install....I just installed some white LED's to my Aux 4 switches and did almost exact wiring like you....hid the wires behind the airbag trim for a clean look.....BUT, one thing I was thinking of is it would be nice to have a RED color option for "night friendly" vision.....my question these is how do you change the color, and do the lights remember the last color setting when you turn them off and then back on?

If so, I'd consider changing out my lights.....since I have the wiring in place already now.
You use the Govee app to change the color and brightness. They will power back on from the aux switch to the last setting they were on when you powered them off.

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice. What about if you remove the top or fold it back do the two you mounted on the frame have to be removed?
They are on the bracket that the top locks into so there is no issue with the top back or removed.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You use the Govee app to change the color and brightness. They will power back on from the aux switch to the last setting they were on when you powered them off.
Ok. Great info.
Thanks

and the app connects via Bluetooth? Does it actually work through CarPlay?

OP
OP
Klunatic

Klunatic

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok. Great info.
Thanks

and the app connects via Bluetooth? Does it actually work through CarPlay?
Bluetooth connection to the lights. I am an Android guy so I don't know about CarPlay.
Sponsored