James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Fastback, 2011 Ford Mustang G
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there any way to adjust the cable that latches the soft top in the fully down position? When I put the soft top all the way down the passenger side will latch but there's a half an inch play in the hook onto the stud and it rattles as I drive around. I noticed there's a cable attached to that hook that comes all the way around to the release on the driver side. I'm wondering if there's a way I can adjust this cable or the hook so that it fully grabs the post tightly?

Sponsored

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there any way to adjust the cable that latches the soft top in the fully down position? When I put the soft top all the way down the passenger side will latch but there's a half an inch play in the hook onto the stud and it rattles as I drive around. I noticed there's a cable attached to that hook that comes all the way around to the release on the driver side. I'm wondering if there's a way I can adjust this cable or the hook so that it fully grabs the post tightly?
Did you find a solution? I believe that center latch not properly engaged is associated with high winds and snow/water intrusion.
I'm picking mine up this week and want to understand the correct adjustment.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hi there, Jason. This latch concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you find a solution? I believe that center latch not properly engaged is associated with high winds and snow/water intrusion.
I'm picking mine up this week and want to understand the correct adjustment.
Not yet but Ford messaged me so I guess I'll bring it to them.

It's only when the top is fully down and open so no worry for water intrusion. My top doesn't leak as far as I've seen in the past 2 years.

Broncho95

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I recently had an issue with my soft top. I live in Oklahoma where wind is very common. We were driving home one evening and suddenly i felt wind and rain. The “flap or seal” on the driver side was raised up allowing wind and rain inside. It was a crosswind, but nothing abnormal for Oklahoma. My wife and 10 year old were not enjoying the drive home to say the least.

The next morning I went to compare the driver side and the passenger side. There was about twice the “gapping”. I measured the drive side and there was right at 3” easily raising the side flap or seal. I drove it a few more days, and anytime i had a crosswind you could hear the seal of the soft top flap. I called a local dealership (dealer where i purchased is not longer open) to schedule an appointment to have it looked at it.

I dropped it off 6/27 at 8:30 and was told it may take 48 hours to diagnose the problem. On Friday i reached back to to the dealer and was told definitely there was an issue and the cable had been stretched. Possibly due to NOT latching the soft top correctly. I did ask how one could not latch the soft top correctly, that seemed really odd to me. I explained I felt like the blame was being put off on me for a manufacturing error. The dealer explained there is a formality they would go through with ford to get approval for coverage under warranty. On June 30th I received a call informing me good news, Ford was covering it, but i had to have the entire soft top replaced. This would take 2-3 days for parts, then another 2-3 days for replacing the top and frame! I was quoted the cost would be approximately 19,000.00. Yes 19K. Not sure how that amount was calculated, but seem rather high to me.

Next challenge, they are keeping it until it completed or i have to start the process over again. We will be approaching a 2 week mark with the holiday of not having it or a vehicle to drive. Very frustrating.

My question is if Ford is recognizing this issue, has there been any modifications? Does anyone know? It’s windy here and i feel very confident the same thing will happen again. I would rather get an hard top to keep this from occurring again. Anyone have any experience with the same and potentially working with Ford to switch tops? I would think Ford would want this also.

I did not take pictures, which i am kicking myself for.

I have seen some posts regarding the cable, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Should i try and get the top switched, is that even possible? I am not sure what to do. If there has not been any changes, it will continue to happen. At least i feel that way.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I recently had an issue with my soft top. I live in Oklahoma where wind is very common. We were driving home one evening and suddenly i felt wind and rain. The “flap or seal” on the driver side was raised up allowing wind and rain inside. It was a crosswind, but nothing abnormal for Oklahoma. My wife and 10 year old were not enjoying the drive home to say the least.

The next morning I went to compare the driver side and the passenger side. There was about twice the “gapping”. I measured the drive side and there was right at 3” easily raising the side flap or seal. I drove it a few more days, and anytime i had a crosswind you could hear the seal of the soft top flap. I called a local dealership (dealer where i purchased is not longer open) to schedule an appointment to have it looked at it.

I dropped it off 6/27 at 8:30 and was told it may take 48 hours to diagnose the problem. On Friday i reached back to to the dealer and was told definitely there was an issue and the cable had been stretched. Possibly due to NOT latching the soft top correctly. I did ask how one could not latch the soft top correctly, that seemed really odd to me. I explained I felt like the blame was being put off on me for a manufacturing error. The dealer explained there is a formality they would go through with ford to get approval for coverage under warranty. On June 30th I received a call informing me good news, Ford was covering it, but i had to have the entire soft top replaced. This would take 2-3 days for parts, then another 2-3 days for replacing the top and frame! I was quoted the cost would be approximately 19,000.00. Yes 19K. Not sure how that amount was calculated, but seem rather high to me.

Next challenge, they are keeping it until it completed or i have to start the process over again. We will be approaching a 2 week mark with the holiday of not having it or a vehicle to drive. Very frustrating.

My question is if Ford is recognizing this issue, has there been any modifications? Does anyone know? It’s windy here and i feel very confident the same thing will happen again. I would rather get an hard top to keep this from occurring again. Anyone have any experience with the same and potentially working with Ford to switch tops? I would think Ford would want this also.

I did not take pictures, which i am kicking myself for.

I have seen some posts regarding the cable, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Should i try and get the top switched, is that even possible? I am not sure what to do. If there has not been any changes, it will continue to happen. At least i feel that way.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Thanks. The local dealer already looked at it. I need to bring it back for them to have it for the day.

Rockdawg84

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 4RUNNER, 96 F350 CC 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m having that same issue with my 21 badlands. It seems the robot ont the roller pin is loosening did anyone get this issue resolved?

OP
OP
SigSauer226

SigSauer226

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My top has a wear spot on the passenger side, most likely from this misalignment. The dealer said they got approval to replace the entire soft top but because of parts restrictions it's going to take a long time. So in the meantime I have not had the rattle fixed because they're going to have to replace the whole top and readjust everything.
Sponsored