Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have had my Bronco for two months now and love it. This one issue has driven me crazy and I can't see, to figure it out - although admittedly, I'm not very handy and this is first time ever with a soft top. Almost every time out, I get this whistling and whipping noise coming from the driver side at anything over 20MPH. The top latches fine up front and in position 1. I did think the clip in the middle and back was difficult when taking it all the way down. Took a bunch of times to get it to latch in fully down and then latch back up into position 1. But the biggest issue is the noise I can't kick. Normal wind noise is fine and expected on a soft top and I understand what that is. The passenger side seal seems tight and normal, but when I go to the driver side, it is clearly a fair bit more loose and seems to have a bunch of play in it, which I'm pretty sure is the problem. I just also got back from Vegas Off-Roadeo and all those soft tops were much tighter on the driver side than mine.

I actually had brought to the dealer who said off the bat when I explained it "That is why I would never buy a soft top. People are going to regret buying these" - which I knew was going to be a red flag. But he never listened to the actual issue of it being loose and when they called back just said, "that is the way it is". I just know that isn't correct because I've seen plenty of soft top Broncos and only have seen it as loose as mine. I can't help but feel that is what the whistle/whipping noise is. I was going to try a different dealer for service - but want to make sure I'm not crazy. Attached a video below showing how much more give there is than the passenger side. Anyone else experience this or deal with it? I search some threads, but the others seemed to revolve around the front latch, which isn't an issue for me. At this point, I would even pay someone to do it if the dealer doesn't budge, I know it can't be a very difficult fix. I'm just not good with this and this noise every drive is the only thing preventing me from enjoying this rig. Video below showing driver side (loose) vs Passenger side (tight).

Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is definitely not normal. Mine is more like the passenger side on both sides.

Would recommend looking in to some nearby dealerships that have good service reviews/reputation and take it in for them to look at.

@Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Have had my Bronco for two months now and love it. This one issue has driven me crazy and I can't see, to figure it out - although admittedly, I'm not very handy and this is first time ever with a soft top. Almost every time out, I get this whistling and whipping noise coming from the driver side at anything over 20MPH. The top latches fine up front and in position 1. I did think the clip in the middle and back was difficult when taking it all the way down. Took a bunch of times to get it to latch in fully down and then latch back up into position 1. But the biggest issue is the noise I can't kick. Normal wind noise is fine and expected on a soft top and I understand what that is. The passenger side seal seems tight and normal, but when I go to the driver side, it is clearly a fair bit more loose and seems to have a bunch of play in it, which I'm pretty sure is the problem. I just also got back from Vegas Off-Roadeo and all those soft tops were much tighter on the driver side than mine.

I actually had brought to the dealer who said off the bat when I explained it "That is why I would never buy a soft top. People are going to regret buying these" - which I knew was going to be a red flag. But he never listened to the actual issue of it being loose and when they called back just said, "that is the way it is". I just know that isn't correct because I've seen plenty of soft top Broncos and only have seen it as loose as mine. I can't help but feel that is what the whistle/whipping noise is. I was going to try a different dealer for service - but want to make sure I'm not crazy. Attached a video below showing how much more give there is than the passenger side. Anyone else experience this or deal with it? I search some threads, but the others seemed to revolve around the front latch, which isn't an issue for me. At this point, I would even pay someone to do it if the dealer doesn't budge, I know it can't be a very difficult fix. I'm just not good with this and this noise every drive is the only thing preventing me from enjoying this rig. Video below showing driver side (loose) vs Passenger side (tight).

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end. Thank you!

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored
OP
OP

mjrcu

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have a quick look at the tension cable on your soft top... I noticed this issue on mine a while back. If you notice, the tension cable has come out of it's holder on one side. I put it back into place and haven't had an issue again:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/soft-top-tension-cable-issue.34772/
Thank you! I just read that thread. I'll have to run outside and take a look. Was the causing a looser fit or sound issues on that side for you (looks like passenger side instead of driver side for you). Do you ultimately get it addressed where the cable wouldn't pull out of it?

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you! I just read that thread. I'll have to run outside and take a look. Was the causing a looser fit or sound issues on that side for you (looks like passenger side instead of driver side for you). Do you ultimately get it addressed where the cable wouldn't pull out of it?
When I put the top back to position 1, I noticed it for the first time. It was definitely looser. I was able to feed it back into place when the top was in position 1, and it has stayed put ever since. I did notice that they bracket holding it was slightly bent as well, from the factory, compared to the other side.

Definitely worth looking to see if it's part of the issue.

Have you had the rear windows out, soft top back in position 2?
You may find that adjusting the position of the velcro on the side windows helps as well. I find that if I lift up on the rear windows at the top, by reaching in from the back doors, I can get a tighter seal on the velcro. That might help too.

RichMartMD

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh man, always a relief to find others with similar issues. That sounds kinda mean...sorry 😅

I need to put the top back in p1 and see if there's anything abnormal unless @Ford Motor Company says otherwise.

A similar issue with the passenger side is loose/floppy when driving down the road. I can see light coming in from the side and huge amount of air noise.

Here's to crossing my fingers it's a simple fix.

-R

OP
OP

mjrcu

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I put the top back to position 1, I noticed it for the first time. It was definitely looser. I was able to feed it back into place when the top was in position 1, and it has stayed put ever since. I did notice that they bracket holding it was slightly bent as well, from the factory, compared to the other side.

Definitely worth looking to see if it's part of the issue.

Have you had the rear windows out, soft top back in position 2?
You may find that adjusting the position of the velcro on the side windows helps as well. I find that if I lift up on the rear windows at the top, by reaching in from the back doors, I can get a tighter seal on the velcro. That might help too.
Just went out to look. It doesnt seem to be a similar issue with that holding - but it definitely seems like a tension issue. I just took the below picture showing how much upward play the tension cable gets as it is running forward. My sense is that the loose cable is not holding it down, so when the car gets going at speed, the whipping/whistling I hear is that air/wind getting underneath. Doesnt seem to be anywhere near the same play on the passenger side.

I've only take the top fully back beyond position 1, once (downsides of living in the Northeast). I did find latching it back fully in position 2 was very difficult to catch and latching it back into position 1 was difficult as well. Took more force and a few attempts than I thought it should, but those issues may not be related.

Ford Bronco Soft Top Seal Loose on Driver Side IMG_3108

OP
OP

mjrcu

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh man, always a relief to find others with similar issues. That sounds kinda mean...sorry 😅

I need to put the top back in p1 and see if there's anything abnormal unless @Ford Motor Company says otherwise.

A similar issue with the passenger side is loose/floppy when driving down the road. I can see light coming in from the side and huge amount of air noise.

Here's to crossing my fingers it's a simple fix.

-R
How does the tension cable seem on that side?

Sponsored

RichMartMD

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How does the tension cable seem on that side?
If I'm honest, The cable that's pointed out is the one that runs along the side that is floppy.

I tried undoing the velcro along the rear window, flipping it up, then on the side that is a bit lose, pulled back a bit to see if that works...I can't tell only because it's a bit cold atm. Looked promising.

I'm sure there's not a lot of attention to detail on the velcro position at the plants.

Please advise.

IMG_2868.jpg

Dad23Fords

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same looseness on the driver's side. Loose on the passenger side, but not quite as much. My tension cable seems to be properly situated.

OP
OP

mjrcu

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is definitely not normal. Mine is more like the passenger side on both sides.

Would recommend looking in to some nearby dealerships that have good service reviews/reputation and take it in for them to look at.

@Ford Motor Company
Did the dealer ever tell you what they did to make the fix? The dealer I have mine at says they are waiting on the Ford Hotline to get back to them (whatever that is) and was hoping I could make a suggestion to them that can help get them started in the right direction.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If I'm honest, The cable that's pointed out is the one that runs along the side that is floppy.

I tried undoing the velcro along the rear window, flipping it up, then on the side that is a bit lose, pulled back a bit to see if that works...I can't tell only because it's a bit cold atm. Looked promising.

I'm sure there's not a lot of attention to detail on the velcro position at the plants.

Please advise.

Ford Bronco Soft Top Seal Loose on Driver Side IMG_2868
Hi there! I can look into the concern you're experiencing with the windows on your Bronco. Will you send us a message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer?

cdubs70

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there! I can look into the concern you're experiencing with the windows on your Bronco. Will you send us a message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer?
Hi Ford. I'm also having this "issue." I took it in to my dealer (who is great), and they are looking into it. But I'll DM you my VIN and additional information.
Sponsored