Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4A does not denote "advanced", just that you are in 4 wd automatic shifting, which until it kicks in is 2wd
Yep Ive had it on my last 2 f150s. pretty sure its a different transfer case though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sport mode on my Bronco SAS keeps the transmission in 8th on most roads where normal mode would be in 10th. It definitely dropped my FE by at least 1mpg so far. Pay to play! It would be nice to be able to add the Sport steering to normal mode.
That would be an indication of the increased rolling resistance of the larger tires. And maybe your sustained speed. I know from my longer road trips in my OBX with standard tires that at posted highway speeds and above even in Sport mode it will shift into 9 and 10, but it will downshift quicker

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That would be an indication of the increased rolling resistance of the larger tires. And maybe your sustained speed. I know from my longer road trips in my OBX with standard tires that at posted highway speeds and above even in Sport mode it will shift into 9 and 10, but it will downshift quicker
Yes, on Sasquatch equipped vehicles, it won't go into 9/10, without Sasquatch, it will.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're averaging 75 then you spent the whole time in top gear anyway, so what difference would the mode make?
I don't understand how people can continually claim sport mode gives them better mpg on the freeway. The truck is still shifting into OD and at that point, the difference between sport and eco/normal is throttle input. Goose the throttle and all three modes will downshift a gear.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4A does not denote "advanced", just that you are in 4 wd automatic shifting, which until it kicks in is 2wd
What I find weird is that the front end feels tighter when I'm in 4A. The power distribution screen can show zero power directed to the front wheels, but the driving dynamics are different than in 2H. I don't have an answer as to why, but it is a notable difference.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What I find weird is that the front end feels tighter when I'm in 4A. The power distribution screen can show zero power directed to the front wheels, but the driving dynamics are different than in 2H. I don't have an answer as to why, but it is a notable difference.
It's done with smoke and mirrors. I feel that being in SPort mode also tends to tighten up the steering dynamics yet it has been claimed by "people in the know" from the beginning that Sport mode only affects shift points and nothing else (shocks and steering do noticeably tighten up on our X4 and I get similar feedback from the Bronco)

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I said on the same roads at the same speeds it does not upshift, the vehicle is all stock, nothing to do with tires. Mostly 50mph 2 lane rural roads, not highway.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't understand how people can continually claim sport mode gives them better mpg on the freeway. The truck is still shifting into OD and at that point, the difference between sport and eco/normal is throttle input. Goose the throttle and all three modes will downshift a gear.
The adaptive cruise control is more aggressive in sport mode and downshifting happens earlier and at lower loads than in normal/eco mode. When I refer to highway driving, I37 and I10 are the highways I am driving on primarily.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sport mode reduces the power steering assist

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I guarantee you it isn't steady state in top gear, just through Corpus Christi and San Antonio, I am accelerating and decelerating because of traffic, not to mention climbing up and going down hill through the hill country. I run 4A almost exclusively now. I have compared it (over a few thousand miles) with standard and eco mode, and sport mode is the most efficient with my driving style.

Strange, I would swear I was in M8 when I took the last picture... mostly because I didn't like the exhaust note in 10th gear at that speed.

Admit it, you just want to be right.

Ok, you win... I am wrong, it makes no difference. Feel better?
All I said was I doubt you. Sheesh.

I've done a few tanks in each and for my vehicle I get 10% less (20 v 22) in sport.
Sponsored