plipnoggen

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hello -- I noticed a squeaking/creaking sound when I first turn on my bronco (it's been there since I bought it).

It appears to be coming from this thing... it moves back and forth and squeaks. I assume it's priming something or just warming something up but I don't know what it is. The bar in the picture moves back and forth intermittently while the vehicle is warming up for the first minute or two.

What is this thing? I'm wondering if I can get to it any maybe put a little grease on it or something but I don't know what it is.

Ford Bronco Squeaking when starting/warming up IMG_4778

Ford Bronco Squeaking when starting/warming up IMG_4779
Sponsored

OP
OP
plipnoggen

plipnoggen

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I guess I'm not the only person with this... here's a reddit thread on it as well:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hello -- I noticed a squeaking/creaking sound when I first turn on my bronco (it's been there since I bought it).

It appears to be coming from this thing... it moves back and forth and squeaks. I assume it's priming something or just warming something up but I don't know what it is. The bar in the picture moves back and forth intermittently while the vehicle is warming up for the first minute or two.

What is this thing? I'm wondering if I can get to it any maybe put a little grease on it or something but I don't know what it is.

Ford Bronco Squeaking when starting/warming up Bsrc2Uc

Ford Bronco Squeaking when starting/warming up Bsrc2Uc
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Generic Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 Ford Focus ST, ā€˜22 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had a 2022 BB 2.3, and it never made this sound. I ordered a ā€˜23 BB 2.3, and I noticed this squeak after 1000 miles. It would not only squeak at idle, but also upon tapping the gas pedal at low speeds. I took it to the dealership, and the tech said it was a ā€œseized up wastegate solenoidā€.

They swapped out the entire turbo assembly. And, I still have that noise, but itā€™s not as loud as it was before, and it only squeaks on idle. I took it back to the dealership, and now theyā€™re saying itā€™s a normal noise.

Sponsored
OP
OP
plipnoggen

plipnoggen

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I had a 2022 BB 2.3, and it never made this sound. I ordered a ā€˜23 BB 2.3, and I noticed this squeak after 1000 miles. It would not only squeak at idle, but also upon tapping the gas pedal at low speeds. I took it to the dealership, and the tech said it was a ā€œseized up wastegate solenoidā€.

They swapped out the entire turbo assembly. And, I still have that noise, but itā€™s not as loud as it was before, and it only squeaks on idle. I took it back to the dealership, and now theyā€™re saying itā€™s a normal noise.
For me, it's only when the car is first turned on and only for the first minute or two. I don't notice it at all once I'm driving...

Generic Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 Ford Focus ST, ā€˜22 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Same thing for me after the turbo replacement, it only makes that sound on idle for a couple of minutes then goes away.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm pretty certain that's the wastegate actuator linkage moving. Too bad both sides of the arm are obscured with shrouds. The turbo side of that moving linkage typically has an exposed connection point that you could try greasing, maybe the noise would go away. Having a hard time deciding if the movement sound in your video is the vacuum, metal on metal, or both. Do you happen to have any mods or blow off valve? Check engine light? I vote the ECU is detecting an issue and trying to save itself.

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine makes that noise on start-up. Once warm it is gone. Probably some emission related function.

Mainer

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Subaru Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine does the same at warmup, then goes away.
there are other threads on here concerning this.

Sponsored

JJHTX

Black Diamond
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine does this too, mostly during startup. 2023 BD, 2.3 auto.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine does this too, mostly during startup. 2023 BD, 2.3 auto.
Hey there, JJ! Can you please send me a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location so I can further look into this squeaking noise concern for you? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to see what I can do to assist!

JJHTX

Black Diamond
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@plipnoggen Curious to know if you resolved this issue? Ford Motor Co told me take it to dealer. Dealer told me they canā€™t replicate the issue (I showed them videos and everything). Happens every time on startup. They had my vehicle two weeks. I just donā€™t think they cared to listen and/or could not explain why the vehicle is making this noise- so they rather give me the lame ā€œwe canā€™t replicateā€ excuse.

OP
OP
plipnoggen

plipnoggen

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
@plipnoggen Curious to know if you resolved this issue? Ford Motor Co told me take it to dealer. Dealer told me they canā€™t replicate the issue (I showed them videos and everything). Happens every time on startup. They had my vehicle two weeks. I just donā€™t think they cared to listen and/or could not explain why the vehicle is making this noise- so they rather give me the lame ā€œwe canā€™t replicateā€ excuse.
No, based on this thread, I haven't tried to resolve it. Initially I thought maybe it was something that could just be lubricated but knowing it's the turbo, I don't plan to do anything like that.

For me, it is only on startup. it's consistent -- it probably makes the noise 3-4 times on any given start. But I don't hear it after that.

Based on what others have said here, I really don't have any faith that a dealer is going to bother doing anything about it. I'm pretty much just resigned to leaving it be.

JJHTX

Black Diamond
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@plipnoggen I also don't have any more faith after having taken my vehicle to inspect both a brake click issue and this odd squeal noise. Thanks for responding!
Sponsored