Sponsored

Steering Issue w/ Moderate Eibach Lift???

Cameron

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.7l 2 Door BD , '99 Buell X1, '07 DRZ-400
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So here's the deal...
I had Eibach coilovers (+ Icon UCA's) installed by a reputable shop about 1,000 miles ago on my 2dr BD. I'm currently sitting at about 2.5" of lift in front. Last week, I noticed that suddenly, I had about 3/4" of play in the steering wheel (engine on or off, doesn't matter), with a distinct "click" at either side of the play.
I suspected a loose fastener somewhere in the linkage. Took it to the dealer and wasn't able to speak with the tech, but his notes (seen below) state that he found no play at the steering gear, but that he did find "..steering shaft u joint at extreme angle, causing contact before full steering is felt, wheels turn within clicking noise". NOTE: I get the same play with the engine off, so I don't think the wheels are turning within the new play in the steering wheel.
I checked a couple of other Broncos on the lot (engines off) and there was zero play. I've got just over 5k miles on the clock now, and this issue did not manifest itself over time, but all at once. If my lift did cause this problem, I have zero problem paying for new parts to fix it and I told the staff the same. According to them, everything is within spec and no parts are needing replacement.

I'm going to follow up tomorrow, but according to the service writer, there are no damaged parts, and nothing to be done about the play in the steering wheel. I don't think they're right, and I certainly believe there's something wrong as I can turn the wheel lock to lock without any extra noises or play anywhere in the cycle except when turning the wheel from 12:00 to 3/8" or so either side of center. If the u joint "shoulders" are binding up, I think I'd feel it as the linkage rotates past a full turn.
If the Ford Performance 2" lift doesn't cause this problem, I can't believe my 2.5" causes an "extreme angle" or the slop in the steering wheel. Has anyone else had this happen, am I crazy, or is my dealer wrong? Thanks for your input! C
Ford Bronco Steering Issue w/ Moderate Eibach Lift??? Diagnosis.JPG
Sponsored

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I believe you have to pull the steering shaft apart to install those UCAs, I would definitely take a look at that slip joint in the steering column and make sure the bolt is tight and reconnected correctly. That could make for a horror show if it popped out going down the highway.

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
See 6:19 in this video, it shows the steering shaft connection that has to be taken apart/reassembled to install UCAs.

OP
OP

Cameron

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe you have to pull the steering shaft apart to install those UCAs, I would definitely take a look at that slip joint in the steering column and make sure the bolt is tight and reconnected correctly. That could make for a horror show if it popped out going down the highway.
Thanks Chris,
I'll check it but according to my dealer, "all hardware is to spec". Isn't the slip joint for linear push/pull (in/out?) rather than rotational lock-in? If so, I may be a big dummy but I think that would rule out my issue. I haven't checked, but I kinda figured it would be a splined shaft either way. Am I wrong about that?

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If this isn't something you are comfortable checking or repairing, get it back to the shop ASAP.

Sponsored

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is for push/pull, but if not tight, could allow the slop in the steering you describe. I understand the tech said everything is tight, but it is possible that he didn't check that one bolt. It's real easy to check, have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see if the slop is there. I lean to this being the problem because the steering shaft u-joint angle the tech mentioned should not change from stock unless something is wrong with the shaft connection. The shaft connects the steering wheel to the steering rack, neither of these 2 components move during a lift install, so if the angle is changed, something isn't right in the shaft.

OP
OP

Cameron

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If this isn't something you are comfortable checking or repairing, get it back to the shop ASAP.
I'm going to do both :). With all of the connections the shop who installed my lift touched, they're marked w/a paint pen, so I'm hoping I can spot that easily. I'm going to give my dealer the benefit of the doubt until I can check myself but when they say "all hardware is to spec", I'm hoping they checked that one.
After watching the video, I see the shaft is indeed at least partially splined, keyed and squared as well. If the 10mm fixing bolt on the shaft isn't 100" tight, would you think it'd be possible for the joint to separate far enough to account for steering wheel play?

OP
OP

Cameron

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It is for push/pull, but if not tight, could allow the slop in the steering you describe. I understand the tech said everything is tight, but it is possible that he didn't check that one bolt. It's real easy to check, have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see if the slop is there. I lean to this being the problem because the steering shaft u-joint angle the tech mentioned should not change from stock unless something is wrong with the shaft connection. The shaft connects the steering wheel to the steering rack, neither of these 2 components move during a lift install, so if the angle is changed, something isn't right in the shaft.
Perfect! Thanks man. I'll let you know what I find... C

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just curious, did you ever find the cause of the probelm?

OP
OP

Cameron

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just curious, did you ever find the cause of the probelm?
Hey Chris,
Sorry, I've been meaning to get back to you. You were 95% right! The cause of the slop was that 10mm bolt but it wasn't due to inadequate torque or loosening. According to the senior tech (..when I went back to the dealer a second time), the bolt is supposed to go in from one side only, catching a threaded insert on the other side. He said that the lift installer I used re-installed the bolt from the wrong side, going in through the insert first. I'm unsure how this could actually happen based on the orientation of the threads, but the problem's fixed now. I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much!!! Cameron
Sponsored