Steps/Sliders Question

weezy_jw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So after finally getting a build date on my Big Bend SAS, I need to start looking at my to do list for when it arrives.
I’ll need steps for it.
In looking, I see a lot of options for frame mounted or body mounted. With the associated price difference.
I won’t be doing much more than going to actual Big Bend. And maybe an annual trip to Colorado with it.

Can someone help me understand, should I really go with frame mounted in this scenario? Or will body mounted serve me well? Thanks!
Sponsored

Michael Grasso

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you intend to do some serious rock'n then frame mounted protects your body from damage.
If you are just doing off trail stuff a combo of frame and body (Ford OEM Rock Rails) will do.
If you drive back and forth to the Mall and take up two spaces then whatever you'd like to roll with your 22's.

My Badlands came with the Rock Rails with is Frame and Body mounted, I hung the IAG Steps on it and got them Line-X'd, for Indiana, woods and sand it's more than enough.

Mg

tempImageDYHRZW.png

OP
OP
weezy_jw

weezy_jw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think I’ll fall into the second category, light trail stuff. Just want to make sure I get the right protection. A slider that acts as a step is best too as the wife is 5’1.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same exact scenario as you, with no true need for frame sliders (no rock climbing here in Maryland) and a 5'1" wife. I settled on the Rough Country ones as a great value for the protection and step offered. I considered the IAG ones since I had rock rails, but they were out of stock often, and I wasn't sure how well the pinch bolts would hold the step if I set the truck down on a sharp break over. My only gripe with them is the mesh that breaks up the steps. I wish they were solid on top. They would probably look cool with some lighting added, but I've just not focused on any lighting upgrades yet.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have LoD signature sliders, frame mounted and can be used as steps. They are awesome, but hefty and recommends some drilling. I’d seriously consider GOAT fab’s with top plate, currently 20% off. Those are body mounted but take a beating. There are others and honestly all of them might be overkill. Factory rails with mabett or iag removable steps could also work for you.

Sponsored

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I replaced the factory rock sliders on my Badlands with Metaltech. They bolt to the frame and are good if you ever want to go rock crawling. That being said it sounds like you would be fine with any of the options that use the pinch weld. Just be aware that they are more step than rock rail.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with ZRoadz. They mount at existing factory locations. I’m happy with them so far. Haven’t bounced them of any rocks yet but for my style of off roading they’ll be more than adequate.
Ford Bronco Steps/Sliders Question F9AA2EAC-79C8-4BF6-8DE8-ECCD02E8686A
Sponsored