Sponsored

Stick to Maintenance Schedule or Get Serviced Early?

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Where did I say to go past the Ford maintenance schedule? I didn't. I just stated modern cars and modern lubes have been engineered to require longer dain intervals. Most new cars have oil life monitors in them, following the Manufacturer oil change schedule per the monitor will not void the warranty. Shops tell customers all kinds of things to play on fears of which most owners know nothing about.

But yet, unecessary oil changes do hurt; it costs money that an owner doesn't need to spend.

It's not 1975 anymore and 3,000-mile oil changes at Jiffy Lube.
Agreed on this reply. Things have changed. Its a waste of money and does nothing. But if it makes you feel better.
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where did I say to go past the Ford maintenance schedule? I didn't. I just stated modern cars and modern lubes have been engineered to require longer dain intervals. Most new cars have oil life monitors in them, following the Manufacturer oil change schedule per the monitor will not void the warranty. Shops tell customers all kinds of things to play on fears of which most owners know nothing about.

But yet, unecessary oil changes do hurt; it costs money that an owner doesn't need to spend.

It's not 1975 anymore and 3,000-mile oil changes at Jiffy Lube.

I wasnt saying you said that. Mechanics have experience tho. They see things daily that the average person doesnt even know anything about. For example BMW has a 15k miles interval. I know half a dozen BMW techs and every single one of them say change it at 7500 or it wont last. and by the time it goes the warranty will be gone.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Then just rotate the tires once a year. Paying to have the tires rotated is not worth the value of the minute extended tread wear savings.

I get it, you think the shop is rotating the tires for free during the oil change, but rotating at 7,000 is no different than 3,500.
I'm the shop, I'm 48 and never paid for an oil change or tire rotation and I like to inspect my brakes more than once a year.

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I changed my own oil first at 750 miles, even though the dealership has granted me 2 years worth of free oil changes and tire rotations. I wanted the initial build oil out as well as taking a look at the metal bits in the filter (which there was a bit of real small flecks in there). The dealership had a 5000 mile recommended sticker on the windshield, which I just had them do and the 5 tire rotation. For the first two years, they keep sticking a 5,000 mile sticker on my windshield, I'll keep letting them change it at that.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a heads up for those of you doing your own oil changes. Save receipts and keep records because if you have an engine failure at 50k miles and cant show proof of oil changes they will deny that warranty claim in a heartbeat. Ive even seen (one time) and engine claim denied due to not changing the air filter. That was a rare situation but that filter was beyond dirty. Just saying crazy things can happen.

Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Annual or every 6 months is my dilemma- we put less than 5k miles a year on all 3 of our vehicles (2x6G, 1xFJ)
A lot of walking? or homebodies? That's a big purchase to sit unused, but looks good sitting there!

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Modern automobiles have 10,000 mile oil change intervals. The oil is better, the oil filters are better, and the oil system in the engine is better, all designed for long drain intervals.
What they said, just change your oil when it tells you to, the 3k 5k oil change is a joke, to many people stuck in the 70's Oil has come a long way. The oil filter is a bigger problem then the oil make sure your using a oil filter made to 10k standards a lot are not.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A lot of walking? or homebodies? That's a big purchase to sit unused, but looks good sitting there!
Wife walks to work, kids walk to school. I have a work provided 2021 F250 that I commute/work out of. Driving Broncos is shuttling kids for activities and trips. Wife doesn't want to give up the FJ. We use it to go shopping etc to avoid door dings.

SpringBreak98

Black Diamond
First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reminds me my Mustang is way over due for an oil change but my Bronco says it'll be here within the week and I'm trading the mustang in sooooo...I'll hold off 🤣

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wife walks to work, kids walk to school. I have a work provided 2021 F250 that I commute/work out of. Driving Broncos is shuttling kids for activities and trips. Wife doesn't want to give up the FJ. We use it to go shopping etc to avoid door dings.
Not a bad life!

Sponsored

DReece65

Big Bend
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 2500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Somebody a heck of a lot smarter than me did an analysis and said change oil every 10,000 miles. I did mine at 9,600 and 19,200. No issues so far. Funny the dealer puts a sticker and says come back in 5,000 but they are in it for the money.
Modern engine's and oild have come a long way with alloys compared to 70's and 80's when 200k was the life of a motor. Not worth tossing money away unless you drive harsh conditions or sit in stopped traffic just heating up oil.
Just my 2 cents.

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I babied mine so bad but I think it was worth it. 1st oil change at 500miles( pensoil full syn), 2nd at 1000(ford oil change motorcraft), 3rd at 5000( back to the full syn), 4th is this weekend( sticking to pensoils full syn).

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Full synthetic every 7,500-10,000 miles. I'd do the first one around 3,500-5,000.

Modern synthetics, and engines, are so much better than they used to be. You can go every 10K and easily get 200K+ miles out of the engine. I remember the days when you changed every 3K and rebuilt at 100K.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1st oil before 2,000. After that...5,000 to 7,000.
1st Differential fluid change at a few thousand. May not need it with modern machining.....but it is still part of my routine.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Annual or every 6 months is my dilemma- we put less than 5k miles a year on all 3 of our vehicles (2x6G, 1xFJ)
I have the same dilemma as my 2 spare vehicles- the Bronco and a Corvette are rarely driven. I am coming up on 6 months in the Bronco and only 1400 miles. Meter says 70% remaining so I am thinking of splitting the difference and going like 9 months. It might be down to 40-50% by then.

For anyone else driving normal miles I would change the oil at 5K. My daily driver a 2019 VW Jetta calls for 10K mile oil changes. I change it every 5K and its very dirty. It's over about a 5 month period. I had a 2018 VW GTI that I bought used with only 4K on it and and thought the oil was changed as part of being "Certified". Well it was not.......the oil on the dipstick was getting pretty dirty at 8.5K so I decided to change it. It had a cartridge filter like the Bronco and the oil was so dirty and the filter was like clogged with a black sludge. The car ran so much better afterwards. So rule for me is 5K oil changes max.
Sponsored