rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
YouTube and the internet are always helpful for DIY stuff. Learn which are credible sources, don't always take what you see as correct. Safety first, learn your limitations, use finesse not force on electrical and fuel connectors. Basic maintenance is very easy just take your time.
Sponsored

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Make sure you're draining the engine oil and not the transmission oil

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most modern vehicles have metric fasteners. For tools, I'd skip Harbor Freight and buy a set of sockets/rachets and wrenches that are at least moderate quality. Cheap tools are a pain to live with if you really want to do some of your own maintenance. At least for your core set of tools. Some of the one offs cheap makes some sense. But let your budget temper that advice.
Yeah do not go cheap on the tools...I recommend snap on!!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah do not go cheap on the tools...I recommend snap on!!
I'll take the middle ground, I think Lowe's (maybe Home Depot) sells Craftsman now, affordable and reliable and Harbor Freight is OK for seldom used stuff

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Task #1-Is it 6 quarts or 7 quarts of oil? 😆
With top mounted filter, I plan to use my oil extractor to remove old oil and that’ll clearly show how much was removed. As always, I warm the engine first to get the little stuff suspended.

Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With top mounted filter, I plan to use my oil extractor to remove old oil and that’ll clearly show how much was removed. As always, I warm the engine first to get the little stuff suspended.
Reported in other posts that the extractor won't work, dipstick is isolated from bulk of pan.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Everything said here, plus: when you need a tool, buy a tool. Don’t rent a specialty tool from the parts store and don’t borrow your buddy’s. Just buy it. You’ll accumulate an awesome arsenal of tools this way and is a sure fire way to have exactly the tools you need without spending more than you have to.

Start with X brand metric set and work from there.

Final tip: having organization and storage for your tools and maintenance items will make these tasks 100x more enjoyable. Also have a clean area to work on the task at hand.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Watch a bunch of U-Tube video's that's the new way of learning how to fix stuff. Back in my day it was Haynes manuals with words and little pictures.
Same, but back then they were worth a damn. Barely useful anymore!

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I recommend a 1/2" socket wrench, set of six sided metric and SAE sockets, socket extender, set of screwdrivers (not multitool), a set of Allen wrenches in metric and SAE, and a set of open ended ratcheting box wrenches in metric and SAE. Throw in a set of Torx, and that'll get you to most dances.

OP
OP
HorizonHunter

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recommend a 1/2" socket wrench, set of six sided metric and SAE sockets, socket extender, set of screwdrivers (not multitool), a set of Allen wrenches in metric and SAE, and a set of open ended ratcheting box wrenches in metric and SAE. Throw in a set of Torx, and that'll get you to most dances.
Appreciate the detailed breakdown. Will compare to current collection. Any need for a torque wrench, or not initially?

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good thing about new vehical is all the bolts aren't rusted frozen yet.

You probably don't need a torque wrench right away

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Appreciate the detailed breakdown. Will compare to current collection. Any need for a torque wrench, or not initially?
I have a pretty good feel for torque, however I do own and use a torque wrench, but for only very few super important nuts or bolts. I went many years of wrenching without one. Be extra careful when tightening into engine block, or any aluminum. You'll be fine.

Jpursuit

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 f250 king ranch 4wd, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never really done my own maintenance on my cars minus tire pressures, but I'd really like to start when I get my Bronco.
A.) Is this a fool's errand, too complex of a vehicle for a complete newbie?
B.) Basic tool recommendations that I'll need to accomplish this? Metric vs SAE?
I want to make sure I'm not in over my head with this idea.
A basic tool set and an oil drain pan is a good start. There are decent sets available for Black Friday through Christmas at your local home improvement store. You will also need a 27mm 6 point socket for the 2.7 oil filter cap. Im not sure if its the same for the 2.3. That's a socket that wont come in a common tool set.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've never really done my own maintenance on my cars minus tire pressures, but I'd really like to start when I get my Bronco.
A.) Is this a fool's errand, too complex of a vehicle for a complete newbie?
B.) Basic tool recommendations that I'll need to accomplish this? Metric vs SAE?
I want to make sure I'm not in over my head with this idea.
I have a somewhat different point of view. If you are truly a newbie, I would suggest you go to a buddies house that does his own maintenance. Let him help you.
It is real easy for someone who has done his own maintenance for years and has amassed all the tools necessary to say "It's easy to do man, just buy a few tools and your good". In reality (I do not have my Bronco yet, it is on a train as we speak) there could be bash plates that need to be removed and other things you can run into that can cause you some problems. Little things can bite you in the ass if your not careful....
Things my grandfather taught me like "ALWAYS start a bolt (oil drain plug) with your fingers and
finger tighten it and then get the ratchet and finish it off. A cross threaded drain plug is your worst nightmare! Just a few words of wisdom from an old dude. Hope it helps.
Sponsored