First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice write-up, thinking of heading down this weekend but it's going to be cold and windy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where in Delaware? I have not been up there yet. Thx
The state of Delaware controls the entire ocean Coast as a state park. There are lots of beach parking lots to park at but to drive on the beach you must have surf fishing equipment and when you're stopped you must be actively fishing. The system is designed to stop strict off-roaders because otherwise the beach would get too crowded. In fact that's what happened and now there are no more permits available for 2022 unless you buy one of the restricted permit that only works during the week and off season.
https://destateparks.com/Fishing/SurfFishing

Orf

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Flex, 2017 F-250, 2018 Sienna
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been to the OBX pretty much every summer since 1970. Built a house in Southern Shores in 1992. Have driven the beaches from Hatteras to Corova and anywhere in between where vehicles are allowed, in Pickups, Expeditions, and Excursions. Bought the Bronco primarily for fishing on the OBX. I plan to be down there sometime next month for a week, or so.

yabsquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up! This is exactly what I want to be doing this summer, and the reason I ordered an Outer Banks model. It's natural habitat!

Now if someone could sprinkle some fairy dust and do a voodoo dance in order to get my bronco made by July that would be greaaaaat. Not holding my breath tho! lol

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought my non-sasquatch OBX to continue my life-long tradition of Beach ORV use. As a child in the late 1950's, Sundays were spent on Nauset Beach on Cape Cod in whatever work truck we could let the air out of. In the 1960's and 1970s we graduated to International Scouts and when I moved away I returned with the family in the 1990's with Full-Size Broncos. Later, we moved near Delaware in the 2000s and ran those state beaches in an Excursion and then an F-150. Now, living in the Carolinas, it's back to the Beach in the new 2021 Bronco.
20220307_121505.jpg

We started our trip on Bodie Island, the Northernmost ORV beach in the Outer Banks' Cape Hatteras National Seashore. (There are off-season permitted Town beaches to the North. And then, the Corolla Beach, with its ponys and quirky beach communities, is a full 12 miles long, all the way to the VA border.) We spent the day driving from the inlet to the top, trying the various GOAT Modes, Trail-Turn assist, and examining other air-up & down features, and the ability of the vehicle compared to my previous IH Scouts and Full Sized Broncos.
20220307_120732.jpg
20220307_121205.jpg

I've used various air-down proceedures over the years, starting with sticking a key in the valve and graduating to screw-on air down valves and a tire gauge. My 2016 F150 was my first car with a TPMS system, but there was a time lag when letting out air so the dash pressure was not accurate in real time, so I still needed a pressure gauge to check the air down valve. This trip was different. The STAHN air down valves my wife gave me for Christmas worked perfectly. Amazingly, the Bronco dash TPMS reported tire pressure in seconds, and I never used a tire pressure gauge the whole two day trip. The car told me tire pressure in immediate real time.
SmartSelect_20220308-201423_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220308-200817_Gallery.jpg

We went right into the Sand GOAT Mode. Since my OBX does have the rear locker, it automatically turned on the rear locker, off the traction control, and the screen coloring was a sand color. It seemed to work fine, although with beach speed limits at 15mph, it often stayed in a 3000 RPM until I used the shift switch to go into 3rd gear.

Curiously, the front camera won't stay on in Sand mode. The only mode that the front camera, or several cameras will stay on while off-road driving is "Mud & Ruts". That setting worked fine on the beach as well!

I also found that selecting 4H and setting the locker manually worked fine.
20220307_123013.jpg

I had to try the trail turn assist on the beach. The feature can dig the car in pretty quick, so the trick is to not stop after the turn. Tip: sand drivers know that if almost stuck, backing up, straight, is a great way to go forward. Also, that rear locker is the cats pajamas! I've never had one. No more getting stuck with Spinning Tires.
SmartSelect_20220308-201148_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20220308-201202_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20220308-201311_Gallery.jpg

While lacking the spaciousness of my previous F150, this is a great beach trip car for 2 or 3. The open rear gate stayed open against 20mph winds. The equipment all fit in the back, including my jack planks, full-size, Area51 shovel, extraction bag, small cooler, etc. In summer, I have a Beach gear rack that mounts on my Kuat Pivot Rack. Can't wait to return when its warm in May!
SmartSelect_20220308-201130_Gallery.jpg

Airing back up, i have a basic pump that clips to the battery and the valve screws onto the tires valve. Using the car TPMS system, each tire went from 17 to 35lbs in 2.25 minutes. No tire gauge needed. I do have ARB system ready to install, but this method works well.

Incidentally, many beach drivers know that the further North you go, the narrower the drivable beach between the fore-dune and the fore-shore, and the steeper the fore-shore, the the coarser (deeper) the sand. Recommended air pressure, by National Park Service, etc: Cape Cod, 12-15 lbs; Delaware, 16-18 lbs; Outer Banks, 20 lbs.
SmartSelect_20220308-201023_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20220308-200853_Gallery.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Non-sasquatch OBX on the beach. To me, airing down, and the rear locker are more important than the 35" tires for MY USE. That gives me a more comfortable road car, with better mileage, than a Sasquatch vehicle. My overall road mpg from Charleston To Nags Head was 22mpg. Two days on the beach in Corolla and Bodie Island, and OBX road travel dropped it to 17mpg.
SmartSelect_20220308-201537_Gallery.jpg

That's my report! This is a great beach car and road car. Next time, it'll be warm enough to take the roof off!

20220307_121927.jpg

20220308_150716.jpg

20220308_150518.jpg

20220307_145533.jpg

20220307_123013.jpg

Awesome man!

Hope to have mine out there this summer! Love the outer banks. Almost got that trim just for the name ha.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the Outer Banks, such a beautiful place. I toured it from top to bottom, still have my coffee mug from the ferry system. One day I will go back.

Back in December of 1998 I found out that an Oldsmobile Intrigue is a poor substitute for a dune buggy. I tried to drive onto the beach at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (this was before it was moved) and promptly got stuck at the end of the ramp. :doh: Of course it was evening and I had to walk a couple of miles down the beach in the dark to find a fisherman who could come and pull me out. 😆

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wonderful idea. Right now the air down parking lot is half taken over with construction vehicles for a housing complex they're building right on that parking lot. Hopefully they'll be gone by then. And I like the date isn't that the weekend before paid permits are required?
Yes, the weekend before permits are required. Permits are needed on the Friday before Memorial Day through 11:59 PM Labor Day.

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@lakesinai, I am new to off-roading, and have never driven in sand. I hear mixed reviews of wide vs narrow tires in sand. Some say wider tires float, some say wider tire tires have more resistance in sand. That they have to plow through.

Do you have any input? I order a SAS myself.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@lakesinai, I am new to off-roading, and have never driven in sand. I hear mixed reviews of wide vs narrow tires in sand. Some say wider tires float, some say wider tire tires have more resistance in sand. That they have to plow through.

Do you have any input? I order a SAS myself.
There is difference on opinion on whether mud tire tread or a milder AT tread are better on the beach sand, but I've never heard anyone advocate for narrow tires. The wider the better, since you don't want to sink into the sand. The polarity is you also want a road worthy car, and wider tires effects mpg, and eventually requires wider wheels. Letting out air is rule #1, to widen out the tire, eg. Regular tires: 12# on Cape Cod, 18# Delaware Shore, 20# Outer Banks beaches. Remember all East coast beaches have strict speed limits, 15-20 mph, so we're not talking about desert dune running here. Your Sasquatch will handle any East coast beach I'm aware of quite nicely. Be sure to plan ahead and purchase any permits needed.

Each car model is unique, so consult with other Sasquatch owners for tips and air pressure. You air down for two reasons: 1) to drive your vehicle efficiently, 2) to protect the fragile ecosystem of the beach. I mention that because as more ORV vehicles visit fewer open beaches, there is always pressure to restrict access. So practicing courtesy is important for us.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was hoping to be able to get the Nauset resident sticker from chatham because my parents live full-time there but the way I was reading the applications online the vehicle seemed to have to be registered in the same name as the resident of the town 🤔 at least that's how I interpreted it, if I were wrong that would be fantastic lol
I believe you are correct. You have to submit a copy of the registration for the sticker in Orleans, same thing for Chatham on their dump stickers. I had a buddy who works for the same company get a dump sticker for my work truck, he just had to submit proof he works for the company and the company registration.

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I believe you are correct. You have to submit a copy of the registration for the sticker in Orleans, same thing for Chatham on their dump stickers. I had a buddy who works for the same company get a dump sticker for my work truck, he just had to submit proof he works for the company and the company registration.
It's been awhile since I've had a R-O Sticker. I believe that the registration address on the
SmartSelect_20220311-083639_Drive.jpg
vehicle has to be in Orleans or Chatham. Don't think registering vehicle at parents would help, there is the drivers license as well!

Last edited:

LARELL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's been awhile since I've had a R-O Sticker. I believe that the registration address on the
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220311-083639_Drive
vehicle has to be in Orleans or Chatham. Don't think registering vehicle at parents would help, there is the drivers license as well!
Yeah I was hoping they could put their info on and apply for me but the vehicle registration part squashed that 😭 lol its okay, the plovers can have the beach lol

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah I was hoping they could put their info on and apply for me but the vehicle registration part squashed that 😭 lol its okay, the plovers can have the beach lol
There's always the off-season in Provincelands!

Shaggy

Big Bend
First Name
Antoni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, VW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You do not NEED the rear locker, i never had one until now, and I've done lots of sand driving. The locker just makes it easier to drive out of deep sand, like when I dug myself in playing with Trail Turn Assist, or up sand entrance hills! Just make sure you air down. And post a report here on how you do! If you don't like performance, you can upsize those 255/70R18 tires to 265/70R18 for an inch of width and .5 inch of height, or 275/70R18 for 2" more width and an inch+ of height. No lift needed, 7.5" OEM rims ok.

For folks without rear lockers, would you recommend disabling traction control when switching to Sand Mode?

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For folks without rear lockers, would you recommend disabling traction control when switching to Sand Mode?
Sand mode should do that automatically
Sponsored