John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought my non-sasquatch OBX to continue my life-long tradition of Beach ORV use. As a child in the late 1950's, Sundays were spent on Nauset Beach on Cape Cod in whatever work truck we could let the air out of. In the 1960's and 1970s we graduated to International Scouts and when I moved away I returned with the family in the 1990's with Full-Size Broncos. Later, we moved near Delaware in the 2000s and ran those state beaches in an Excursion and then an F-150. Now, living in the Carolinas, it's back to the Beach in the new 2021 Bronco.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_121505

We started our trip on Bodie Island, the Northernmost ORV beach in the Outer Banks' Cape Hatteras National Seashore. (There are off-season permitted Town beaches to the North. And then, the Corolla Beach, with its ponys and quirky beach communities, is a full 12 miles long, all the way to the VA border.) We spent the day driving from the inlet to the top, trying the various GOAT Modes, Trail-Turn assist, and examining other air-up & down features, and the ability of the vehicle compared to my previous IH Scouts and Full Sized Broncos.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_120732
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_121205

I've used various air-down proceedures over the years, starting with sticking a key in the valve and graduating to screw-on air down valves and a tire gauge. My 2016 F150 was my first car with a TPMS system, but there was a time lag when letting out air so the dash pressure was not accurate in real time, so I still needed a pressure gauge to check the air down valve. This trip was different. The STAHN air down valves my wife gave me for Christmas worked perfectly. Amazingly, the Bronco dash TPMS reported tire pressure in seconds, and I never used a tire pressure gauge the whole two day trip. The car told me tire pressure in immediate real time.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201423_Gallery

Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-200817_Gallery

We went right into the Sand GOAT Mode. Since my OBX does have the rear locker, it automatically turned on the rear locker, off the traction control, and the screen coloring was a sand color. It seemed to work fine, although with beach speed limits at 15mph, it often stayed in a 3000 RPM until I used the shift switch to go into 3rd gear.

Curiously, the front camera won't stay on in Sand mode. The only mode that the front camera, or several cameras will stay on while off-road driving is "Mud & Ruts". That setting worked fine on the beach as well!

I also found that selecting 4H and setting the locker manually worked fine.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_123013

I had to try the trail turn assist on the beach. The feature can dig the car in pretty quick, so the trick is to not stop after the turn. Tip: sand drivers know that if almost stuck, backing up, straight, is a great way to go forward. Also, that rear locker is the cats pajamas! I've never had one. No more getting stuck with Spinning Tires.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201148_Gallery
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201202_Gallery
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201311_Gallery

While lacking the spaciousness of my previous F150, this is a great beach trip car for 2 or 3. The open rear gate stayed open against 20mph winds. The equipment all fit in the back, including my jack planks, full-size, Area51 shovel, extraction bag, small cooler, etc. In summer, I have a Beach gear rack that mounts on my Kuat Pivot Rack. Can't wait to return when its warm in May!
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201130_Gallery

Airing back up, i have a basic pump that clips to the battery and the valve screws onto the tires valve. Using the car TPMS system, each tire went from 17 to 35lbs in 2.25 minutes. No tire gauge needed. I do have ARB system ready to install, but this method works well.

Incidentally, many beach drivers know that the further North you go, the narrower the drivable beach between the fore-dune and the fore-shore, and the steeper the fore-shore, the the coarser (deeper) the sand. Recommended air pressure, by National Park Service, etc: Cape Cod, 12-15 lbs; Delaware, 16-18 lbs; Outer Banks, 20 lbs.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201023_Gallery
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-200853_Gallery

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Non-sasquatch OBX on the beach. To me, airing down, and the rear locker are more important than the 35" tires for MY USE. That gives me a more comfortable road car, with better mileage, than a Sasquatch vehicle. My overall road mpg from Charleston To Nags Head was 22mpg. Two days on the beach in Corolla and Bodie Island, and OBX road travel dropped it to 17mpg.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches SmartSelect_20220308-201537_Gallery

That's my report! This is a great beach car and road car. Next time, it'll be warm enough to take the roof off!

Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_121927

Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220308_150716

Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220308_150518

Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 20220307_145533

Curiously, the OBX 360° cameras will not stay on in Sand GOAT mode. They do stay on in Mud & Ruts GOAT mode. Its a cool feature, but I think the Software only allows cameras in Low Range. I would love to have the full time cameras in Sand mode as well, but thats High Range. In the end, any mode I used worked just fine on the beach.
20220307_123013.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice- did you say you where up in Corolla? Very cool up there. Hatteras Island is awesome as well. Tons of wheeling down there, but it gets tough in spots

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great write-up. See you there in 202?

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you, great thread. I dont have my 4dr Black Diamond yet but should within the next year.

Planning to take the family down to the OBX area from Canada next summer!

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice- did you say you where up in Corolla? Very cool up there. Hatteras Island is awesome as well. Tons of wheeling down there, but it gets tough in spots
What's your favorite?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Id love to take mine up there, we are only a few hours away living near Fayetteville/Raleigh. Did you need the rear locker for the sand at all? I would like to take my OBX on the beach at some point but I did not opt for the rear locker and curious if it would be needed for beach trips.

LARELL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

my 2 door WT is on its way to me, cant wait to take it to the cape and go out in the national seashore (cape cod). :love:
i wanted to get a Nauset season pass but non-resident passes are almost $400 now so Provincetown /truro it is

Last edited:
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

my 2 door WT is on its way to me, cant wait to take it to the cape and go out in the national seashore (cape cod). :love:
i wanted to get a Nauset season pass but non-resident passes are almost $400 now so Provincetown /truro it is
That's what happened to me when I moved off-Cape in the 1980s and returned as a non-resident in the 1990's. Second class citizen! So it was off to Provincelands Visitors Center and the Cape Cod National Seashore! Delaware Seashore was a fine replacement in the 2000s, but the lower parts of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore remind me most of Cape Cod. But I dont visit either place in the Summer! Have fun with that Wildtrack. Sweet Car! I miss Race Point!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Id love to take mine up there, we are only a few hours away living near Fayetteville/Raleigh. Did you need the rear locker for the sand at all? I would like to take my OBX on the beach at some point but I did not opt for the rear locker and curious if it would be needed for beach trips.
You do not NEED the rear locker, i never had one until now, and I've done lots of sand driving. The locker just makes it easier to drive out of deep sand, like when I dug myself in playing with Trail Turn Assist, or up sand entrance hills! Just make sure you air down. And post a report here on how you do! If you don't like performance, you can upsize those 255/70R18 tires to 265/70R18 for an inch of width and .5 inch of height, or 275/70R18 for 2" more width and an inch+ of height. No lift needed, 7.5" OEM rims ok.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are they real busy during spring break? I’ll have to swing by with my OBX. Looks like a great time! We need a bronco get together when it’s warmer!

Chippewa-Pin

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Fe, Tucson, Z4, T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OBX is our favorite place to go. We spend 2 weeks there each summer. We just ordered our BL on March 2nd, so we have no expectation that we'll be able to bring it this year, but can't wait for 2023. We've always done the guided tours on Corolla beaches so it'll be fun to drive it ourselves.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great report. Made it out to Assateague up here again this weekend but looking forward to going farther down south to OBX in the next few months.
Ford Bronco Stock Outer Banks on the Outer Banks Beaches 05F0C9B6-5894-4FC4-BEC7-98B991E6EF4A
Love it! Sweet looking car! I've not driven that beach yet, only Delaware!
Sponsored