Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the question you need to ask if what you’re going to do with the vehicle. IMHO if you aren’t out west doing MOAB type stuff and you’re just doing some NPS type off-roading, you’re going to be fine in an OBX.

Also, plus one on the aux switches. I said the same thing… “I’ll never need these”… only finding myself paying $600 for a kit to install them a year later when I could have had it as a factory option at $199. If you’re going to offroad, you’re going to need them.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the question you need to ask if what you’re going to do with the vehicle. IMHO if you aren’t out west doing MOAB type stuff and you’re just doing some NPS type off-roading, you’re going to be fine in an OBX.
There's two things this makes me think of: HOSS and gearing.

If you want to roll bigger tires, like 35's, get the Sas package so you have the 4.7 gearing (and built in lift). I don't think there's an option to get HOSS 2.0 on OBX, which you get with BL (and the new HD rack, whatever that is). That is, unless it comes with Sas.

You can change out the rear axle and go HOSS 2.0 later on with some effort, but at a minimum get the 4.27 axle upgrade ($800 upgrade) on OBX if you don't go Sas ($7k upgrade). If you want HOSS 2.0, you really need the BL (or WT for HOSS 3.0).

---

Note, HOSS stands for High Speed Off road Steering and Suspension. It isn't just a steering rack upgrade, it's also suspension. HOSS 2.0 is pretty good (BL), HOSS 3.0 is very good (WT), HOSS 4.0 is the Braptor and you really don't need it (unless you know you do).

Last edited:

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went a different path. My thinking was that I’d eventually swap out the suspension anyway, so I didn’t want to waste money on Sas and Hoss wasn’t available back when I ordered. So I went non-SAS and got a 2.5” lift with 35’s to start. At some point I will drop mad cash on a full Icon customizable height suspension. That will probs run me $5-7k. So my thinking was why waste cash on Sas for parts I’m just going to replace.

IMHO build it to both the terrain you will be in while not spending money on things you’ll replace down the road.

For the record, I’ve not run into anything so far that the OBX with advanced 4x4 cannot handle on the east coast. That includes deep sand drifts at Cape Lookout, OBX, to very rocky or muddy terrain in Appalachian Mtn forest service roads and offroad trails. I’ve also participated in about two dozen technical instruction trainings at various Overland Expo‘s over the last year and a half. Sometimes it’s learning to be a better driver, and not necessarily having every bell and whistle on your vehicle that will end up mattering the most.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For the record, I’ve not run into anything so far that the OBX with advanced 4x4 cannot handle on the east coast. That includes deep sand drifts at Cape Lookout, OBX, to very rocky or muddy terrain in Appalachian Mtn forest service roads and offroad trails. I’ve also participated in about two dozen technical instruction trainings at various Overland Expo‘s over the last year and a half. Sometimes it’s learning to be a better driver, and not necessarily having every bell and whistle on your vehicle that will end up mattering the most.
Yes, definitely. If you look at it from another direction, only a few will ever need to upgrade from Sas. Getting it from the factory is less intimidating than an aftermarket install, IMO.

However, unless the OP really wants almost no limits to what they may do off road from the factory, just get the 4.27 axle upgrade and go from there. That's all I'm saying. Because the OBX is still plenty capable with that.

Note, this also adds the rear diff, which might make it more than $800. But that's worth it.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, definitely. If you look at it from another direction, only a few will ever need to upgrade from Sas. Getting it from the factory is less intimidating than an aftermarket install, IMO.

However, unless the OP really wants almost no limits to what they may do off road from the factory, just get the 4.27 axle upgrade and go from there. That's all I'm saying. Because the OBX is still plenty capable with that.

Note, this also adds the rear diff, which might make it more than $800. But that's worth it.
Yep, good call. I just went back and looked at my build sheet, and I paid $3,590 for 4.27 w/rear locker on non-sas.

That was a 10/21 order for a MY22, so I imagine that’s gone up a bit.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, good call. I just went back and looked at my build sheet, and I paid $3,590 for 4.27 w/rear locker on non-sas.

That was a 10/21 order for a MY22, so I imagine that’s gone up a bit.
Yeah, I think it's misleading when you try to add something and they go, "we're adding/subbing these things!" and don't really account for the price increase. They could at least show you the additional cost for what they're making you add.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There's two things this makes me think of: HOSS and gearing.

If you want to roll bigger tires, like 35's, get the Sas package so you have the 4.7 gearing (and built in lift). I don't think there's an option to get HOSS 2.0 on OBX, which you get with BL (and the new HD rack, whatever that is). That is, unless it comes with Sas.

You can change out the rear axle and go HOSS 2.0 later on with some effort, but at a minimum get the 4.27 axle upgrade ($800 upgrade) on OBX if you don't go Sas ($7k upgrade). If you want HOSS 2.0, you really need the BL (or WT for HOSS 3.0).

---

Note, HOSS stands for High Speed Off road Steering and Suspension. It isn't just a steering rack upgrade, it's also suspension. HOSS 2.0 is pretty good (BL), HOSS 3.0 is very good (WT), HOSS 4.0 is the Braptor and you really don't need it (unless you know you do).
So in 2024, the only way to get advanced 4x4 or HOSS 2.0 in the OBX stock is with the Sasquatch package.

You can get the 4.27 rear locker without the advanced 4x4 transfer case on a non-sasquatch OBX, but why?

Don't do that. Either go full mall crawler or don't.

The other option for advanced 4x4, HOSS 2.0, and both front and rear 4.70/4.46 (manual/auto) lockers is the non-sasquatch Badlands. This is a great option, especially if you plan to get different wheels/tires. The 4.46 gears and 2.7 engine will be fine with 35's (it's only a 5% gearing change).

Retrofitting the HOSS 3.0 steering rack is pretty straight forward to just about any 21-23 Bronco. Should be the same thing with the 2024 Bronco.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So in 2024, the only way to get advanced 4x4 or HOSS 2.0 in the OBX stock is with the Sasquatch package.

You can get the 4.27 rear locker without the advanced 4x4 transfer case on a non-sasquatch OBX, but why?
Interesting. Ford's build and price restrictions, that is.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not quite. HOSS = High Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension.

Scroll down for HOSS package definitions

And to clarify, the new yet to be determined beefier steering rack for the BL is not part of HOSS 2.0.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not quite. HOSS = High Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension.

Scroll down for HOSS package definitions

And to clarify, the new yet to be determined beefier steering rack for the BL is not part of HOSS 2.0.
I thought I had it a little off. And to clarify more, I said "whatever that is". :)

Edit: Actually, where did you get that acronym definition from? I still don't see it defined there. Honestly, it really shouldn't be that hard to define if it means anything.

Edit 2: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...erformance-off-road-stability-suspension.html

Frankly, I woulda be fine with "Handles off road steering and suspension". HOSS from that steaming pile is a bit DC-like.
Sponsored

Last edited: