Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I removed some bolts from my modular bumper and found that one of them already has stripped threads. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I found the same thing when I installed my bumper pocket lights. Most were stripped.

coadr

Badlands
First Name
Coady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to order a set of Torx Plus bits for the Bronco bolts, it uses the TP40 bit. Usually the stripping happens from trying to use a regular Torx 40.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bolts have a few problems, socket not deep enough and is easily rounded out and appears to be a lower quality, softer alloy. Don't have any thread class gauges but they are either out of spec or it's just a really poorly heat treat causing this. Wheel trim ring bolts have the same issue.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bumper and wheel for sure. Have not messed with the interior bolts but they shouldn't be as tight as the exterior stuff. I didn't have issue with my mirror bolts when installing the ditch lights but they weren't tight and didn't have any thread locker on them either.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I removed some bolts from my modular bumper and found that one of them already has stripped threads. Has anyone else noticed this?
Stripping a bolt == pulling the threads off the bolt or out of the hole such that you can no longer tighten the bolt or nut.
Stripping the torx or Phillips, or fallen == damaged the head of the bolt such that you can't engage your tool fully.

Which one are you talking about? I'm guessing #1, but I don't think everyone else understands that.

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to order a set of Torx Plus bits for the Bronco bolts, it uses the TP40 bit. Usually the stripping happens from trying to use a regular Torx 40.
Absolutely correct. The bits they provide are not the right fit for the bumper bolts. You can pick up a proper TP40 at lowes for like $10

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed a front license plate bracket and had to remove two of the bolts. I just used a regular T40 Torx Key because it was too to tight for a socket. One of the bolts definitely needed to be finessed in order to get it back in. There was not any noticeable thread damage on either of the bolts.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
See notes in red

OP is talking about cross-thread.
Actually, Cross thread doesn't really mean pulling the threads out. It means you cut new threads with the bolt that is misaligned with the actual thread, binding the fastener in the hole or nut.

And cam out can happen without damaging the head of the fastener. In fact, that is the design of some head designs to limit the over-torque of the fastener.

Sponsored
OP
OP
carrellslake

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stripping a bolt == pulling the threads off the bolt or out of the hole such that you can no longer tighten the bolt or nut.
Stripping the torx or Phillips, or fallen == damaged the head of the bolt such that you can't engage your tool fully.

Which one are you talking about? I'm guessing #1, but I don't think everyone else understands that.
Half of the length of one bolt has its threads stripped off. The head of the bolt is fine.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Half of the length of one bolt has its threads stripped off. The head of the bolt is fine.
My guess is it was cross threaded, and pulling the bolt out stripped those threads out. Make sure you use a thread chase to clean up the threads in the hole and drive out any of the bolt threads out.