Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Has anyone else had this happen?
I was washing my car when I noticed that the right side of my rear bumper looked like it was no longer attached to my vehicle. Upon further inspection, I was correct. The bolts underneath my car that are supposed to be holding my bumper to the vehicle look like they are completely stripped and no longer able to fasten the bumper to my car.

I have not been hit, been in an accident, or used any sort of car wash. I basically just handwash my car and treat it like a baby because it's the first car that I've ever owned. There are no marks on the bumper or the surrounding paint, so it doesn't look like I was hit unknowingly in a parking lot. And I have not been off-roading.

I of course took it immediately to my dealership's collision shop because I fully expected the bumper falling off my car within the few months to be covered by warranty and Ford is telling me no. They are saying that because the screws are stripped it is driver error.
This is not okay. I am currently fighting this outcome, but am wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great, now we have someone so full of happiness with their new Bronco she’s driving her ass off

That’s highly unfortunate though. I hope this doesn’t get denied it really makes no sense at all.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone else had this happen?
I was washing my car when I noticed that the right side of my rear bumper looked like it was no longer attached to my vehicle. Upon further inspection, I was correct. The bolts underneath my car that are supposed to be holding my bumper to the vehicle look like they are completely stripped and no longer able to fasten the bumper to my car.

I have not been hit, been in an accident, or used any sort of car wash. I basically just handwash my car and treat it like a baby because it's the first car that I've ever owned. There are no marks on the bumper or the surrounding paint, so it doesn't look like I was hit unknowingly in a parking lot. And I have not been off-roading.

I of course took it immediately to my dealership's collision shop because I fully expected the bumper falling off my car within the few months to be covered by warranty and Ford is telling me no. They are saying that because the screws are stripped it is driver error.
This is not okay. I am currently fighting this outcome, but am wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
By chance after washing, did you get any wax on those bolts? ;)

Sponsored

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This thread is pointless, without pics.

Reminds of when a buddy tells me they saw a "hot chick", I ask "Did you get the number", they reply "NO" and I'm like "Why are are you telling me"!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Without pictures...It would appear to the me that the bumper was not properly fastened at the factory...either the bolts were already stripped or not properly tightened. A "Bumper to Bumper" factory warranty certainly covers faulty workmanship including bumpers falling off for no apparent reason. Fight for the repair under warranty for sure.

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without pictures...It would appear to the me that the bumper was not properly fastened at the factory...either the bolts were already stripped or not properly tightened. A "Bumper to Bumper" factory warranty certainly covers faulty workmanship including bumpers falling off for no apparent reason. Fight for the repair under warranty for sure.

Bumper to bumper, but not the bumper. :)

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There are three bolts on each side of the bumper securing it to each frame rail. Is it possible that you're bumper was hit in a parking lot that broke captive bolts free?

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncoGIRL21

broncoGIRL21

Big Bend
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This thread is pointless, without pics.

Reminds of when a buddy tells me they saw a "hot chick", I ask "Did you get the number", they reply "NO" and I'm like "Why are are you telling me"!
Sorry! I didn't think of it. I'm new here, LOL. I will add pics as soon as I can get back out to my car at lunch :)

OP
OP
broncoGIRL21

broncoGIRL21

Big Bend
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There are three bolts on each side of the bumper securing it to each frame rail. Is it possible that you're bumper was hit in a parking lot that broke captive bolts free?
I don't think so because there is literally no other damage to the bumper, surrounding paint, etc.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bumper bolts are usually fully threaded. If the bolts were not torqued to spec, the bumper was not fully secured and eventually loosened. The movement of the bumper damaged the exposed threads and caused wear. A tight, torqued bolt will not show wear. Attempting to retighten the bolt would move the damaged threads into the bumper and would not be able to be fully torqued to spec.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands