Sponsored

Strong fuel smell from the 2.3 AFTER driving?

603_BD

Black Diamond
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have just over 600 miles on my 2.3L auto BD, and pretty much every time after driving I've been getting a strong fuel smell. It's not apparent until 10-20 minutes after shutting off the engine, but lingers up to 2-3 hours depending on how long I've been driving. Its noticeably stronger on the passenger side under the hood, but there are no visible leaks anywhere.

I took it to my local dealer a couple weeks ago, but they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, even going so far as pressurizing the fuel system.

I know there are lingering smells from manufacturing, but this is distinctly fuel smelling and has been consistently strong every time I drive.

Anyone else have the same experience, or have any suggestions of what to take a look at?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have just over 600 miles on my 2.3L auto BD, and pretty much every time after driving I've been getting a strong fuel smell. It's not apparent until 10-20 minutes after shutting off the engine, but lingers up to 2-3 hours depending on how long I've been driving. Its noticeably stronger on the passenger side under the hood, but there are no visible leaks anywhere.

I took it to my local dealer a couple weeks ago, but they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, even going so far as pressurizing the fuel system.

I know there are lingering smells from manufacturing, but this is distinctly fuel smelling and has been consistently strong every time I drive.

Anyone else have the same experience, or have any suggestions of what to take a look at?
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s fuel smell concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

bmitchell

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you ever find a resolution for this? My 2.3l smells like fuel also. Can't find a leak anywhere. Mine is mostly on start up.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's not just the 2.3. My 2.7 has done it a few times on crazy hot days. I suspect there's some kind of overpressure in an EVAP canister or the fuel tank. It hasn't done it since about 3000 miles on the clock.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did you ever find a resolution for this? My 2.3l smells like fuel also. Can't find a leak anywhere. Mine is mostly on start up.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the same issue when I first bought my Bronco. It was more of a burning smell as opposed to a full smell, but that could be relative to our senses. Anyway, took it to the dealer and they said it's just the car burning all the new off of it, and it'll go away. And it did. I'm at 4300 miles and haven't smelled that burn in a while. Hope it's the same for you.

bmitchell

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not just the 2.3. My 2.7 has done it a few times on crazy hot days. I suspect there's some kind of overpressure in an EVAP canister or the fuel tank. It hasn't done it since about 3000 miles on the clock.
Thanks for the response. The smell started at about 4000 miles and currently has 4600 miles. Of course we are taking a trip to Moab next week, 1300 miles each way. Hopefully it's just an EVAP vent. Thanks again.

OP
OP

603_BD

Black Diamond
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@bmitchell When I took it in to the dealer again for the windshield recall, they found a sensor leak in the low pressure fuel line. They replaced the complete low pressure line (P/N: MB3Z-9J279-B) and I have not had any issues since then. Hope you can get your issue resolved and have a great trip!

bmitchell

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
@bmitchell When I took it in to the dealer again for the windshield recall, they found a sensor leak in the low pressure fuel line. They replaced the complete low pressure line (P/N: MB3Z-9J279-B) and I have not had any issues since then. Hope you can get your issue resolved and have a great trip!
Awesome. Thanks for the update. I will call my dealer.

whatyhow

First Edition
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yugo
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm having a fuel smell after going off road. Doesn't happen when I drive around on the street. I took it to the dealer and they cant find anything. Hoping to find some answers.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm having a fuel smell after going off road. Doesn't happen when I drive around on the street. I took it to the dealer and they cant find anything. Hoping to find some answers.
Hi Peter. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't bother with sending your VIN to them. They don't produce any action whatsoever. I've had a case open with them for many months with zero movement or resolution. FYI

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I might be having the same problem now. Started last Thursday after about 11.5k miles/1 year of owning.

It smelled like fuel I think. I took it to an O'Reilly's and asked one of the techs/workers there what he thought the smell was and he said it smelled like fuel, maybe from a fuel vapor leak.

Is that similar to what you had?

We didn't do anything else besides a quick look at the engine bay. We also noticed that there might be a screw missing?

Ford Bronco Strong fuel smell from the 2.3 AFTER driving? IMG_7443

OP
OP

603_BD

Black Diamond
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@soupcansam that sounds like it could be a similar issue. The fuel smell was more pronounced on the passenger side, and sometimes would be present inside too.

If I recall, the tech at my Ford dealer reported that the leak was near or at a sensor in the low pressure line. It was definitely a vapor leak since there were never any drips anywhere.

I don't know what that missing screw would be for, but it doesn't seem like that would cause this issue.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the response! I have an appointment with the dealership next Friday (earliest they could do).

Hopefully, they can resolve it quickly.
Sponsored