First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while now, but am now looking to purchase out of necessity. Here's the situation I'm in.

I currently own a 2014 Subaru Forester Limited with 136K miles. I just acquired an established business that requires me to travel up to 20 miles a day on dirt roads. Also once a week I need to tow a small trailer with garbage and lawn equipment. This should weigh less than 3000lbs at the absolute most. My first thought was to buy a truck, but with prices where they are and gas mileage, I decided this may not be the best solution for me in the long term. Whatever I end up buying, I plan on keeping it for 6 to 7 years and 150k to 175k miles. I'm split between a Subaru Outback Wilderness or Ford Bronco Base.

The appeal of the Bronco is that it's an actual "truck". It has a 3500lb tow rating, and best of all, the top comes off 😊. The downside is the long wait time for orders, the 20mpg average, and its base. A 2023 4dr, hardtop, auto, base runs about $39k. Cloth seats, plastic steering wheel, mini van-looking tires, not even tinted windows. It would cost about $3k in the aftermarket to get this machine even looking like something I would want to drive.

The appeal of the Outback Wilderness is the higher ground clearance, turbo, 3500lb tow rating, styling... kind of, turbo, shorter order wait time, slightly better MPG, and its loaded. It's not touring model loaded but compared to a base Bronco or even my current limited forester, it's loaded. The downside would be the "styling", CVT transmission (already replaced the one in 2014 forester at 130k), roof doesn't come off, infotainment system seems to be kind of rough/slow.

Whatever I end up buying is going to be my daily driver. My current Forestor is still really nice and paid off. I may keep it or may trade it with a trade value of around $5k. I really like the new Broncos, but to get a model with all the features I would like is upwards of $47k. This to me is just straight-up too much for a car. $39K is to much, but something I could swing.

Any input would be helpful. A fresh set of eyes may help me see something I'm completely overlooking. I'm also very open to other models. For example, I was on my way to buy a Hyundai Santa Cruz, but in between the ugly interior, and unusable back seat for an adult (a requirement), I decided to pass. I'm looking to buy new, under $40k, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you!
Sponsored

fenderbender

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For some reason the Outback Wilderness does not have any concept of "driver profiles", either for the infotainment settings or for the seat/mirror positioning. This drives my wife and I crazy every time we get into the vehicle when the other person has been driving.

The infotainment system on the new Subarus is kind of a disaster. It is laggy when it starts up and frequently (once every couple of days) crashes to a black screen. The wired airplay connection frequently drops out. I have applied multiple software updates via USB drive with no improvement.

The bumpers are plastic junk. Prepare for 5 days in the shop if you get rear-ended with just cosmetic damage. The metallic gold trim pieces come unpainted and need to be color matched by the body shop.

The car is otherwise pretty nice. It's comfortable to drive and I don't mind the CVT. It is an absolute dream to work on for oil changes with the top mounted filter and the fumoto valve I put on the oil pan. We haven't off-roaded it.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Subaru if its for work. MPG and reliability.
Fords reliability is a joke compared to toyota/honda/subaru.
This has also been a large consideration as well. Living in upstate NY, I'm surrounded by ford's falling apart. Not only would the Bronco cost more in the long run, I'd have to buy a $2k extra extended warranty. On the Subaru, I don't feel anywhere near as compelled to purchase a extended warranty.

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco is a fun vehicle, not a work vehicle

The Broncos of the 80s were built based on the f150 and econoline . Tough as nails. This bronco aint that. But it's a lot of fun, so get one, just probably not for work

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why don’t you just keep driving what you already have? It’s paid for.
I started looking after I replaced the transmission in my current Subaru. I may keep it, but I don't feel confident taking the yearly 10k mile trips across the USA in this thing anymore. It's borderline winter beater status.

Also, Im looking for something more "fun", that's when I started looking into broncos.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it was for work, I'd get a Maverick. However, they're in the same boat as the Bronco in terms of when you'd be able to get your hands on one.
Actually, Maverick's come pretty quick. There was a point where I did not think I could wait and ordered a Maverick. It only took 3 months. The dealership took it up and sold it before it arrived.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The appeal of the Outback Wilderness is the higher ground clearance, turbo, 3500lb tow rating, styling... kind of, turbo, shorter order wait time, slightly better MPG, and its loaded.
Out of curiosity, why do you list "turbo" as part of the appeal of the Outback? The Bronco (all engines) is also turbocharged.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honda Ridgeline.

It's better looking than the Hyundai, should be more reliable than the Ford, tows 5000 lbs, and is in the ballpark for price.

https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline
That my friend is a great suggestion. I keep circling back to Ridgelines. But I always get turned off to them for one reason or another. Styling, price vs value, dated tech, etc..... But yes, would be a better option.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Out of curiosity, why do you list "turbo" as part of the appeal of the Outback? The Bronco (all engines) is also turbocharged.
On a Bronco forum, I just assume most people know they all have turbos.

I really just want something with more torque than the current 2.5L n/a Forester.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Both good choices.

How long can you wait?

I am too lazy to search but I don't believe they have even opened up non-reservation '23 orders yet.
Sponsored