First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have no off-road experience other than military life. I’ve been looking at the gx 470 used and wonder if the base Bronco could be as good off-road. Price is a problem, which is why I thought used. But the prices on these are going crazy. After 10-15k plus upgrades to a 470 I would be getting close to a base 7speed monthly payment. Don’t think I’ll ever be a rock climber. Just want to explore and have some adventures. Would love to have the base with sqwatch but let’s be honest if I could save the extra 8k for that I wouldn’t be worried about money. I know there’s a couple on here that have put 35’s on their base and it’s done more than I would probably ever do.
Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This one is loaded. Simple answer: I'd take a base 2-door Bronco any day and everyday over a Lexus Gx470 for off road, and frankly...all the time. It may take time but you will be able to modify your base Bronco to be what you want and it will be very capable. The lexus is just not an off road vehicle. It's a very comfortable, lux car pavement traveler (nothing wrong with that).

Oh, and the Bronco is just so much more fun and cool to drive.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Some folks are going to get a little upset by this but.....the base bronco is not really a great off road vehicle.

For starters, the stock tires are trash so you would immediately need to upgrade those.

You don't have lockers or underbody protection. I know you mentioned you aren't going to rock crawl but thats not the only place you can cause damage to the underside of your vehicle off road.

Dusty has shown you can wheel a stock Bronco off road but it's a challenge.

GX470 with it's weight is going to pose some serious issues if you aren't running some really large tires on it.

OP
OP
WRBWRX

WRBWRX

Black Diamond
First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That’s what I wanted to know. After some time on I hate mud forum, you can see that to get the BIG 470 to have some fun a lot of upgrades are needed. The bronco base as said would need new tires. I don’t care for the leather and what not of the Lexus and everything is outdated. The base would still be the most high tech vehicle I would have bought. Have a 06 WRX. I think In the long run the maintenance of a used 470 would quickly out weigh the cost of a base with a few upgrades.

Reactions: abe

Newdoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Built right, and it doesn’t take a ton of
money, the GX470 is a very capable off roader and a great road car for its capabilities. Built at one of the best auto plants in the world. Very old school and very reliable. It’s a luxury 4runner or Toyota Prado in the bones with a V8. Anyone passing the GX off as a simple mall crawler is ignorant.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What do you want to do as far as wheeling? List a few places?

GX470 is awesome for what it is, I would say it's right in line with the bronco. I wouldn't wheel one as a 4Runner is same chassis and better clearance in stock form. GX is a bigger vehicle and 3 rows seating, which is the biggest difference.

Bronco with some tires and a spacer lift is pretty fun rig. I have had a few built trail rigs and always had more fun in the early stages before to many mods.

OP
OP
WRBWRX

WRBWRX

Black Diamond
First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrx
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just looking for something to have fun with. Road trip visit ghost towns, off the beaten path. It would be a daily driver so I would be afraid to go crazy on trails. No kids, so doesn’t need third row. Don’t think I would ever do a HOV park, not much for crowds. I don’t think we are camping people so much.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
When figuring it out take into account the undercarriage protection you need to buy for the base, and possible rock sliders you need to get. Then you know the cost of something to have some fun with.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The newest 470 is what, at least 13 years old? You are getting into a whole host of age related costs even if you can get a low mile, abuse-free example. Parts, especially any electronic ones will be all junkyard parts.

If you want a toy, then maybe, but if you want to have it as a reliable daily driver, I would look newer or less complicated.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same opinion as the above comments, the base as is will not be a great off road vehicle. Certainly a good occasional 4wd vehicle, but not offroad. I see a lot of value in the base if you plan on heavily modifying your vehicle and don't want to pay for parts you will later discard.

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll be the dumb one and say it. What about a jeep?

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a base w/ $800 mod bumper which is packaged with a good bit of underbody protection. Put 33s on at dealer. Upgrading to Ford Performance 2" coiliver kit as soon as available. ARB compressor waiting on ARB mount, then rear air locker will be close behind.

As-is, I've been wheeling it ALOT. I've gotten stuck twice; once with local offroading club (buddy winched it free) and once on my own in S. UT (cut the fallen trees up and finished driving over them).
Ford Bronco Base 2dr 7speed vs used Gx470 off-road. 20220514_181238

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For the type of use you describe, the Base Bronco will be more than adequate as long as you put some larger tires on it. I have a Base non-Squatch on 35's and I've wheeled all over the western US in it, and I've only struggled on terrain that is far beyond what you described you want to tackle. Pro-tip: get the manual transmission, both for the granny gear and the 4.46 axle ratio so you won't have to re-gear when you go to larger tires. Oh, and yes the 2-door Base does come with a gas tank skid plate.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The base Bronco with some underbody armor and 285/75R16 or 265/75R16 tires on stock wheels will do more than mode people are willing to. My first trip to Moab in 1998 was in my 87 Bronco on 32” tires with no lift and open diffs. I had some challenges on trails, but still had lots of fun. The following year I went back with 33” tires and a rear locker and had less challenges and still lots of fun. The year after that I went with 35” tires and the rear locker, better than the 33” tires and still fun. I can’t fathom how much better my Badlands with 34” tires and dual lockers would do compared to my old Bronco.

I do like the GX platform, especially as a long range over landing rig, but in this case I’d rather have brand new and under warranty Bronco than a well used GX470. I’d want to upgrade the Bronco to a Black Diamond for the MGV interior, rear locker, and armor, but there is a ton of value in base.

Dad life

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, Tundra, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Many people don’t understand that the gx is essentially a fully optioned out 4Runner. It’s (sadly) a much better built vehicle than the Bronco. It has a v8 that is one of the most reliable ever made. The fit and finish is top notch. The full time 4wd/awd mode is better than what the bronco offers on-road. It is very good off-road, especially once it has minor upgrades. It’s not a hardcore rock crawler, nor should it be. most have a third row seat If you need that.

That being said, it’s a huge pain to fit anything larger than 33s. It is much older, even heavier, and slower (not to mention way worse mpg). It doesn’t share a remotely similar driving experience. Your decision is going to be based completely on preferences and needs. But you can’t go wrong with either!

I have a Tundra, a 4Runner, and had a 100 series Landcruiser recently. We sold my wife’s Lexus to get the Bronco. I am a huge Toyota fan. I’ve driven many GX’s. I really like them. But the Bronco is an actual experience, and it wins out for me due to that!
Sponsored