Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both good choices.

How long can you wait?

I am too lazy to search but I don't believe they have even opened up non-reservation '23 orders yet.
I'm one of those people that can wait forever. But if the right vehicle and deal come along, I will impulse buy 😂.

I'm horrible. I used to sell cars, Ford non less. I would buy and trade 6 cars a year.
Sponsored

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have to tow, the base bronco can't be had w/ a tow package, so you'll need to add the hitch receiver and figure out wiring too.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have to tow, the base bronco can't be had w/ a tow package, so you'll need to add the hitch receiver and figure out wiring too.
Thank you pointing that out. I was unaware.

Looks like a receiver is fairly cheap, and wiring is not my forte, but should be able to figure it out.

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you pointing that out. I was unaware.

Looks like a receiver is fairly cheap, and wiring is not my forte, but should be able to figure it out.
There's a thread for wiring. It seems somewhat doable if you only need a 4 pin. If you need the 7 pin, it looks much trickier. I have a base sasquatch coming soon and want to figure out 7 pin by next summer for camping purposes. Hopefully Ford comes out with a harness, etc. that makes it a bit easier.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Subaru looks like someone took their lesbian sister's station wagon and bolted a bunch of crap on it. Sorry. Not sorry.
We are sharing a brain on this one. I lived in the foothills/mountains of NorCal for two decades and saw my fair share of Subarus. Let's just say that I could never own a Subaru or a Prius.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what you're describing, I'd buy a Ranger.

But why are you asking us anyway?

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronco Base with Sasquatch or get a Bronco Base and replace the tires with bigger ones. Life is too short to not have fun when you can.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco Base with Sasquatch or get a Bronco Base and replace the tires with bigger ones. Life is too short to not have fun when you can.
This has been the plan all along. Base model, grab some black diamond take-offs. Tint the windows. MAYBE pick up the $700 black leather katskinz seat covers. Mod bumper with a few fog lights and rock rails (for looks) done.

I placed a tentative order for a MY23 at my local ford dealer. All this waiting just has me going nuts. 😂

But your comment hits hard. Now that I'm older with a family, I've sold the 300zx TT, I've sold the BMW M3, etc, etc. I'm just looking for something that's practical for my situation, but fun at the same time. The Bronco seems to check all those boxes. I just wish A, the wait wasn't as long. And B they weren't so dang expensive. 🤣

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Actually, Maverick's come pretty quick. There was a point where I did not think I could wait and ordered a Maverick. It only took 3 months. The dealership took it up and sold it before it arrived.
Maverick order bank is closed. So, can't order one until MY24. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Maverick Tremmor or FX4 since the OP doesn't seem to mind an automatic.

Re MPG: MPG of the Outback Wilderness is 22/26. I'm getting 23 in my Base Bronco. I have a manual though, and despite what the EPA thinks, manuals are still better than autos for MPG.

I'd rather have a 4-door Bronco than the Subie, even with the automatic (bleah) because the CVT in the Subaru is simply god-awful. The only Subaru I would even contemplate these days would be the CrossTrek (with a stick) but they are terribly underpowered with the 2.0.

Interior of the Bronco is a lot nicer than any Subaru I have ever seen, and visibility is much better.

If the OP can live with a soft top, then once the order banks open, I would expect a 4-door soft top to be pretty quick (3-4 months). That's still the fast pass to delivery.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My take is that the Wilderness is trying a little too hard, it's not going to be any funner to drive than a standard Outback so you could save a little there. I second the Ranger option, lots of choices and rides on the same chassis as the Bronco, top doesn't come off though.

My commute is short, paved roads and would take longer to remove the top panels as it would for me to get to work. I'd be better served with a Honda Civic than a Bronco with 35" tires but since I'm making the payments I'm getting what I want so ask yourself what do you want and get it.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that was a prime driver to me getting a Bronco and handing the Outback down to the wife.
I pulled up to a 4way stop sign and two other white Outbacks were there with me ... done.

So yeah, I went base Base and added bigger wheels and tires.
Keep it around 33" tires and it'll be fine.

... then I ended up getting a damm work van from the new company and the Bronco .... gets driven to High School by my daughter everyday.
But I get weekend visitation with it now !!!

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got my BaseSquatch 1/17/22, it's been my daily commuter since then... I wouldn't trade it for anything!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My brother‘s wife just bought an outback touring, she really likes it. They placed the order in mid August and took delivery late October. She asked about the Bronco, I told her she couldn’t get one and that the Subaru was a better choice for what she plans to use it for (long distance sales commuting).

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So we own both vehicles. My wife has an Outback Limited 3.6R and I have a Badlands. Not exactly the models you are talking about but pretty close.

From my perspective, it is an apple and oranges kind of comparison. They are very different vehicles. The Subby is a car (even in Wilderness config) and the Bronco is a truck.

Gas mileage, insurance and reliability go to the Subaru (IMO)

I don't care for the CVT tranny. When we bought my wife's car we drove the 5-speed automatic and the CVT. I thought the CVT was a total dog.

Off road capability goes to the Bronco (however I have not driven the Wilderness model)

Fun factor goes to the Bronco hands down.

Towing is probably a wash between the two vehicles.

They will both get from Point A to Point B. They can both tow, and the both have good cargo capacity.

To me it comes down to: do you want a car that can double as an off-road vehicle? Or do you want an off-road vehicle that has really good road manners and is fun(ner) to drive?

I think the Subaru is a great car. When my wife got it, she was torn between getting another Explorer or an Edge, but really liked the Subby. And she was a lifetime Ford girl from a 100% Ford family (its a good thing we live in a different state because I got a ton of grief from her family). And if your decision was with an Explorer I would absolutely say get the Outback. The Explorers are just huge, ponderous vehicles now, and are glorified mall-crawlers.

I would not pick an Outback over a Badlands for a Black Diamond. But a Base is kinda spartan, and the Outback has a lot of nice creature comforts that will be lacking in a Base.

Tough call to make.

OP
OP
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
So we own both vehicles. My wife has an Outback Limited 3.6R and I have a Badlands. Not exactly the models you are talking about but pretty close.

From my perspective, it is an apple and oranges kind of comparison. They are very different vehicles. The Subby is a car (even in Wilderness config) and the Bronco is a truck.

Gas mileage, insurance and reliability go to the Subaru (IMO)

I don't care for the CVT tranny. When we bought my wife's car we drove the 5-speed automatic and the CVT. I thought the CVT was a total dog.

Off road capability goes to the Bronco (however I have not driven the Wilderness model)

Fun factor goes to the Bronco hands down.

Towing is probably a wash between the two vehicles.

They will both get from Point A to Point B. They can both tow, and the both have good cargo capacity.

To me it comes down to: do you want a car that can double as an off-road vehicle? Or do you want an off-road vehicle that has really good road manners and is fun(ner) to drive?

I think the Subaru is a great car. When my wife got it, she was torn between getting another Explorer or an Edge, but really liked the Subby. And she was a lifetime Ford girl from a 100% Ford family (its a good thing we live in a different state because I got a ton of grief from her family). And if your decision was with an Explorer I would absolutely say get the Outback. The Explorers are just huge, ponderous vehicles now, and are glorified mall-crawlers.

I would not pick an Outback over a Badlands for a Black Diamond. But a Base is kinda spartan, and the Outback has a lot of nice creature comforts that will be lacking in a Base.

Tough call to make.
The base being Spartan is I believe the only reason why I'm asking this question. If for $40k I could buy a Bronco, 4dr, tinted windows, heated seats, etc. I'd be all in. But to get the exact Bronco I would like to live with for 7 years cost upwards of $47k.

On one hand, "it's only $7k". On the other though, $40k is already $15k more than I'm really comfortable spending on a car.

Cars have just became stupid expensive anymore, and the used market is still abit nuts, plus the insane, in my opinion interest rates. I have a credit union that will still do 4%, but if I wait to long, that may disappear as well.
Sponsored