David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

So my 'active navigation' system trial subscription has just finished...I had assumed (incorrectly) that the subscription just covered updates to map accuracy, weather and traffic...but no...it will no longer allow me to enter addresses, search for addresses etc. So now I just have a pretty moving map when I drive. I can use Android Auto for navigation when needed but I'm a tad surprised that I need to. My wife drives a new Dodge Durango RT and she doesn't have to pay for her navigation system to be functional...I know, I know...no point complaining but it does make me feel just a little bit better.
Sponsored

CJSimmons

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

$80 a year for it. Not too bad if you are in spotty cell service areas

OP
OP
Limpetman

Limpetman

Everglades
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah there are two "levels" of Navigation.
  • "Connected Navigation"
    • Available in Mid/High package.
  • "Connected Built-In Navigation"
    • Only available on the Lux package.

The Connected Navigation basically operates like your cell phone... it requires a data line to function, which Ford uses AT&T for. When you pay for the subscription you are basically paying for map updates, routing functionality, weather/traffic, etc... which is all delivered through that AT&T data line.

The Connected Built-In Navigation has a more traditional TomTom / Garmin style GPS unit—the map/address data is cached on the Bronco. When that service expires you'll lose access to weather & traffic data, and you won't get map updates. BUT... you'll still have the "Point A to Point B" navigation functionality.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah there are two "levels" of Navigation.
  • "Connected Navigation"
    • Available in Mid/High package.
  • "Connected Built-In Navigation"
    • Only available on the Lux package.

The Connected Navigation basically operates like your cell phone... it requires a data line to function, which Ford uses AT&T for. When you pay for the subscription you are basically paying for map updates, routing functionality, weather/traffic, etc... which is all delivered through that AT&T data line.

The Connected Built-In Navigation has a more traditional TomTom / Garmin style GPS unit—the map/address data is cached on the Bronco. When that service expires you'll lose access to weather & traffic data, and you won't get map updates. BUT... you'll still have the "Point A to Point B" navigation functionality.
And just a point of clarification in that the Built-In Navigation is included in the Lux package, but it is also a stand-alone option for $695.

Understanding how Ford dumbs-down the nav without a subscription, I felt the Built-In option was well worth it to retain functionality long after the 36 months.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And just a point of clarification in that the Built-In Navigation is included in the Lux package, but it is also a stand-alone option for $695.

Understanding how Ford dumbs-down the nav without a subscription, I felt the Built-In option was well worth it to retain functionality long after the 36 months.
Shhhh 🤫... not many people know about the stand-alone option because it was (is?) missing from Build & Price for whatever reason... and for a period of time last year you couldn't order the stand-alone option. But yes, it's an option on Mid pkg and higher.

In my opinion it's not worth the added cost—comes out to be 8-9 years of just paying for the subscription. But... obviously Ford could always increase the subscription cost, and some people don't like worrying about subscriptions, so there is definitely an argument to be in made in favor.
Sponsored