Sponsored

Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points)

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was laying under my Badlands just now, trying to make sure I had enough room to drop the skid plate and do an oil change without jacking the truck up — but I found something concerning.

Behind both front wheels on either side, and just in front of the jacking point indicated on the frame itself, I spotted surface rust already popping up on the frame. I wiped it off with a dry rag to make sure it wasn’t just dripping from something else and accumulating there, but it does appear to be surface rust and not a stain of any kind.

Even more concerning, it looks like the spots of rust are on an area of the frame that seems scuffed up a bit — almost like either Ford or my dealer during PDI didn’t safely lift the vehicle and somehow scuffed the rust proofing off the frame in this spot on both sides. The issue appears symmetrical (same amount of rust and scuffing on either side).

Pictures attached; my Badlands was built the first week of December 2021 and has under 600mi on it. If this amount of rust was popping up some years down the road I’d be much less concerned, but now I’m wondering if I should be sanding those areas down to bare metal and reapplying some rust proofing…

Driver side:
Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) 5CCB2A26-341A-42A4-995C-FBAD423BB4BE
Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) 9997B5B2-650A-4451-B095-1A43EEF4025F

Passenger side:
Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) D7C96B4F-D3C8-4AB8-9919-095575473491
Sponsored

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More info; I live in Northern California and haven’t brought the truck anywhere that gets road salt or snow, so definitely should not be seeing frame rust already. We’ve had a lot of light rain since I bought the truck, but have yet to bring it anywhere with snow or off-road.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If this bothers you then you are not going to enjoy your bronco.
I know I know… off-road body-on-frame truck that’s meant to be thrashed a bit. Like I said, if I was spotting frame rust thousands of miles or a year or two down the line I’d be less concerned and just get it taken care of.

The fact that it looks like the rust prevention was scuffed off by either Ford or my dealer during PDI is annoying. This sort of rust obviously doesn’t go away on its own, and ideally I’d like to prolong the life of the frame as long as possible.

Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Best trolling effort I have seen yet…Well done

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got it — looks like everyone here is in favor of ignoring surface rust and waiting until it gets worse to do something about it 😂

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got it — looks like everyone here is in favor of ignoring surface rust and waiting until it gets worse to do something about it 😂
I'd encourage you to go look under 10 random 2021 vehicles and let me know what you see...

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd encourage you to go look under 10 random 2021 vehicles and let me know what you see...
Been under my 2017 vehicle dozens of times, and it has virtually no rust — if I lived somewhere with road salt, maybe. In a place that barely gets rain? Unexpected in three weeks and 600 miles.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here are some shots of my RS, including subframe components with similar amounts of rust proofing after 5 years now — I expect rust on the exhaust and driveshafts after no time at all, but haven’t owned a body-on-frame truck until now. I’d rather take the time and sand/prep these spots instead of waiting to find more rust later on.

Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) DE2F3B22-291F-46CD-A52B-62DDAE960E9D

Ford Bronco Surface Rust Found on Frame (Front Jack Points) A3AA8FA5-3A37-403D-A34B-C2FE406232AE

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had fluid film put on the first weekend I could schedule it.

Just reapplied with a spray can on a few areas that have been hit hard with salty slush.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go down to tractor supply get yourself a can of rust transformer then a can of satin black implement paint problem solved. Let the rust transformer cure for 24 hours before you paint it with the implement paint. That stuff is tough as nails when it dries , i been using it on my differentials and they look new still and I live in Washington state on the Olympic peninsula where we get tons of rain and deicer on the roads plus I back my boat in the salt water so my tires are constantly flipping up salt water on truck.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go down to tractor supply get yourself a can of rust transformer then a can of satin black implement paint problem solved. Let the rust transformer cure for 24 hours before you paint it with the implement paint. That stuff is tough as nails when it dries , i been using it on my differentials and they look new still and I live in Washington state on the Olympic peninsula where we get tons of rain and deicer on the roads plus I back my boat in the salt water so my tires are constantly flipping up salt water on truck.
Picking up some POR-15 soon. Will sand away as much rust as I can see, degrease, and treat both sides sometime next week. Just annoyed it seems like these were caused by a two post lift.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's just surface rust. Ford will say it's normal and there is nothing to worry about. It's super common even on newer F150
Sponsored